Consider a four footed furry thing as your first warning system - Page 2

Consider a four footed furry thing as your first warning system

This is a discussion on Consider a four footed furry thing as your first warning system within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sounds like my wife but shes taller than 4 feet...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 52

Thread: Consider a four footed furry thing as your first warning system

  1. #16
    VIP Member Array dukalmighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    15,179
    Sounds like my wife but shes taller than 4 feet
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .


  2. #17
    Member Array wkientz1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Around the corner from you.
    Posts
    258
    We used to have one of those, but a pure bred -- everytime the gate opens, it bolts outside and barks at everyone, but they are smart dogs. Your Max is a cutie. The only drawback on male dogs is that it is not a family dog. They recognized only one master...and the rest are treated as #2, #3, #4, etcs...Two is a mischievous age yet...somewhere between a teenager and wanting to be an adult at the same time. Good age for responsiveness.
    Bill and Izzie: Proud parents of a soldier.
    I thought of you all day today when I was at the zoo.

  3. #18
    Senior Member Array XD in SC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    660
    Well, our 3 year old Black Lab is almost useless.... she barks all the time when she is outside... even the Animal Control Officers comment on her. "She is so annoying, she never shuts up!" is what one of them told me one day. And it's not protection barking, it's just "Ohh look a bird", "oh the trees are moving" type barking.

    In the house.... she barks when friends enter, and never stops. But never barks to alert they are showing up..... good companion, but terrible alert system. Maybe I should accept the fact that she barks when someone has entered as a good thing....

    For some reason this dog hasn't become the Lab that I relate a Lab being (if that makes sense) ..... She is so high strung and full of energy! I remember Labs being "partners". Always there for you, if you wanted to play they would, if you wanted to walk they would, if you just wanted to lay around.... they would.

    I get the weird one? OH well , she was free!

    As far as cats..... I miss my Maine Coon. She was way more protective than this dog.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

  4. #19
    Member Array wkientz1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Around the corner from you.
    Posts
    258

    Barkng Lab..

    Let's talk of training...what sort of training have you and/or any members of your family given your dog? Obedience doesn't really have to start at dog school. They are just there to guide you how to communicate with your dog. Obedience starts at home. Treat them like how you treat a young child. When you say NO, it does not mean "MAY BE...???". The first thing a dog should know...and so does children, is where you draw the line between being "cute" and "naughty"...

    Different dogs, different personalities, even if they are the same breed. Lennix had such a beautiful personality. He is strictly a protector. His "treats" is just a pat in the head or a scratch behind the ears, never food. Coopers is a helper. He learned that food is coming if he does some duties. As an eager servant, he gets along well with everyone.

    Tucker is well behind in brains department than the other two dogs but he is still young, just 1.4 years old and very food induced.He had gone to two obediences classes but he hates routines so now he is into his second rally class and he enjoys it because it allow him to do many things. Because obedience is his problem, we bought him a sports collar and made him think it is fun to have it but actually we zapped him when we were teaching him NO! in his naughtiness or starting to bark incessantly at even the plastic cover of the Christmas tree in the fire pit. Now all we do when he is doing something stupid is show it to him like a warning and he will stop. A year ago I wouldn't have touched those sports collars as I thought they were cruel, but with Tucker at 110 lbs, who is taller than me when looking out of the window, I had to rethink my priorities.

    Maybe you and your family can spend a bit more time with your doggie so you will get to know what makes her click then she can stop barking incessantly on command...or a sports collar like what we have for our Tucker. Cabela's have them.
    Bill and Izzie: Proud parents of a soldier.
    I thought of you all day today when I was at the zoo.

  5. #20
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Off Of The X
    Posts
    35,763
    Mine is incredibly good for an early barking warning but, she sure does fall short in the aggressive big teeth area though.



    I just yelled and told her to "KILL! - KILL! Boolie....KILL...THE INTRUDER!" Here was her reaction!
    She opened her eye and put her rear leg up.

  6. #21
    Senior Member Array XD in SC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    660
    Quote Originally Posted by wkientz1 View Post
    Let's talk of training...what sort of training have you and/or any members of your family given your dog? Obedience doesn't really have to start at dog school. They are just there to guide you how to communicate with your dog. Obedience starts at home. Treat them like how you treat a young child. When you say NO, it does not mean "MAY BE...???". The first thing a dog should know...and so does children, is where you draw the line between being "cute" and "naughty"...

    Different dogs, different personalities, even if they are the same breed. Lennix had such a beautiful personality. He is strictly a protector. His "treats" is just a pat in the head or a scratch behind the ears, never food. Coopers is a helper. He learned that food is coming if he does some duties. As an eager servant, he gets along well with everyone.

    Tucker is well behind in brains department than the other two dogs but he is still young, just 1.4 years old and very food induced.He had gone to two obediences classes but he hates routines so now he is into his second rally class and he enjoys it because it allow him to do many things. Because obedience is his problem, we bought him a sports collar and made him think it is fun to have it but actually we zapped him when we were teaching him NO! in his naughtiness or starting to bark incessantly at even the plastic cover of the Christmas tree in the fire pit. Now all we do when he is doing something stupid is show it to him like a warning and he will stop. A year ago I wouldn't have touched those sports collars as I thought they were cruel, but with Tucker at 110 lbs, who is taller than me when looking out of the window, I had to rethink my priorities.

    Maybe you and your family can spend a bit more time with your doggie so you will get to know what makes her click then she can stop barking incessantly on command...or a sports collar like what we have for our Tucker. Cabela's have them.
    OK on this..... I have been around dogs all my life and learned early on that first you establish "Alpha", then you train. I have no problems with Mojo's attitude with me. My girlfriend on the other hand does not and has not established "Alpha", so she is just a playmate.
    Sports collar? Been there done that.... Mojo knows what it is and how it works. Unfortunately.... my GF took it off of Mojo one day, but left it out where Mojo could get to it.... yep Mojo chewed the electrodes off. And of course... the pets stores don't carry replacements... I'll get back to this one day.

    Very true about spending more time... issue #1..... we both work 12 hours shifts, and mine are rotating. I didn't want to get a dog, knowing what our schedules are, and the fact that my GF hasn't had dogs prior to this. But the GF just had to have one, because "it's so cute"....

    Mojo is going to need and receive more training... it's a slow process, and Mojo is a stubborn dog... was hoping for a little bit more maturity in her before I started again.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

  7. #22
    New Member Array woodust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    10
    <--------See avitar,Best dog I've ever had!

  8. #23
    VIP Member Array dukalmighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    15,179
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Mine is incredibly good for an early barking warning but, she sure does fall short in the aggressive big teeth area though.



    I just yelled and told her to "KILL! - KILL! Boolie....KILL...THE INTRUDER!" Here was her reaction!
    She opened her eye and put her rear leg up.
    Maybe she was gonna release some deadly gas
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

  9. #24
    VIP Member Array Eagleks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    7,863
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Mine is incredibly good for an early barking warning but, she sure does fall short in the aggressive big teeth area though.

    I just yelled and told her to "KILL! - KILL! Boolie....KILL...THE INTRUDER!" Here was her reaction!
    She opened her eye and put her rear leg up.
    She's telling you... if you rub my stomach, maybe I will do it.

    I ended up with my son's Siberian and he loved everyone.... however, he also had a great sense of who was not welcome, and he would let them know he would eat them ... and I'm sure he would too. My daughter's White German Shephard once jumped in and stopped 2 dogs that were determined to attack me. It was as if she made a 10 ft circle around me and let them know, not to enter it. When one did, well... the 2nd one didn't want to. I love that dog.

    My 2 dogs, will let you know if someone is around, and my cat has jumped into the middle of my chest to wake me up because he was hearing something outside and didn't like it.

  10. #25
    Member Array PSLOwner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    349
    I was just getting into bed one time, my 75 pound lap dog doberman and just jumped up in the bed and was ready to go to sleep when she heard a noise in the back yard. She started a loud, low growl and went tearing out through the dog door to investigate the back yard. From inside, I could HEAR her paws hitting the ground as she ran around the back yard checking things out. After a couple minutes of that and finding nothing, she came back in, jumped and bed and went to sleep.

  11. #26
    VIP Member Array havegunjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,206
    My two guard dogs.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

    Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

  12. #27
    Member Array wkientz1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Around the corner from you.
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by PSLOwner View Post
    So, do you spent all your time getting out the Dyson and cleaning the carpets?

    Those are both great looking dogs.
    We used to have JJ...a GS that we rescued from the German Shepherd Rescue Group. She used to be the dog of the bf of Janet Jackson that was why we call her JJ. Her ex-bf is/was a druggie and before he went to jail, his dog was put in the rescue group. Anyway...she is the gentlest dog we ever had. She died of old age -- 18 years old when she died two years ago. and yes, we bought the Dyson Animal 17 because of her...Beautiful dogs...
    Bill and Izzie: Proud parents of a soldier.
    I thought of you all day today when I was at the zoo.

  13. #28
    VIP Member
    Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Posts
    17,321
    A dog makes a great warning system, but isn't a deterrent to a break-in when you're not home. A can of wasp spray will turn away the baddest of the bad. It's cheap, it's legal to have, and too many burglars know it. One shot in the face and it's walk right in.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

  14. #29
    Member Array moparoutlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    109
    Here's our alarm. She is extremely loyal, and maternal. All the while fiercely guarding every entrance to our home and yard.
    Attached Images

  15. #30
    Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Posts
    1,618
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    A dog makes a great warning system, but isn't a deterrent to a break-in when you're not home. A can of wasp spray will turn away the baddest of the bad. It's cheap, it's legal to have, and too many burglars know it. One shot in the face and it's walk right in.
    I've watched too many police officers try and use such devices at charging dogs and one might think it's easy, but I've been doing Animal Control for 10 years now and I'm here to tell you, it's not that easy to hit a 50 - 100lb charging animal intent on either ripping you up.

    I've watched approximately 35-40 officers over my 10 years try their devices on charging dogs to include trying to shoot them with very limited success.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. What's your system?
    By Laseraim in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: December 12th, 2007, 01:03 PM
  2. WARNING!! National Bullet Co. WARNING!!
    By Haywood in forum Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 6th, 2007, 01:34 PM
  3. Tactical Parrot Early Warning System
    By Miggy in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: October 20th, 2007, 04:48 PM

Search tags for this page

furry warning system

,
my child is furry and has 4 feet
Click on a term to search for related topics.