Consider a four footed furry thing as your first warning system

This is a discussion on Consider a four footed furry thing as your first warning system within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by RebelKangaroo My home security is a Giant Schnauzer Those are wonderful dogs! I've had one once before and will again. After our ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Consider a four footed furry thing as your first warning system

Quote Originally Posted by RebelKangaroo View Post
    My home security is a Giant Schnauzer
    Those are wonderful dogs! I've had one once before and will again. After our previous one died we rescued a Jack Russel Terrier and a lab/pit mix and I'm not ready for a three-dog household.

GS's are the biggest goofballs if you're part of their inner circle, but woe unto your butt if you're not.

My wife swears that both our JRT and lab/pit mix would eat someone if they were a real threat, but I doubt it. The JRT is just a noisemaker and the lab/pit mix is so submission I can't see her getting that aggressive.

Still.... they both hear everything that goes on in or near the house and sleeping at the foot of the bed they wake me up if they hear the slightest noise. So far it's always been a false alarm but I would never scold them for doing their job.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by partsscout View Post
    Dogs are great alarm/home defensive systems.

Here is my four-legged defensive system after a hunting trip, taking a day off. Scout is a 100lb Yellow lab.

I live in a 4 home cul-de-sac; if anything is suspicious, Scout is on it with a great snarl and loug, deep bark.

He is great with kids and is very possessive of his family. He has also scared many UPS and door to door sales men back to where they came from. He also alerted me to our neighbors house being broke into last summer...great dogs!

That is just beyond adorable.

Senior Moderator
    I love dogs and I think dogs are great animals and I told my husband that if he ever dies I'm going to replace him with a HIGHLY trained home/family defense dog ... but in the mean time I feel it would be unfair of me to bring a dog into a home where I know he would not get the attention and love he deserves or that I would like to give him.

Not to mention that he would have to be indoors, especially in this climate, and that would be VERY hecktic.

Maybe when our son gets older and can share some responsibility we might go ahead and get a dog, but for now the cats will have to do.

Siamese cats were bred as fighting cats, riding into battle on the shoulders of their masters, and trained to attack the face of an oncoming enemy. Pretty effective at close quarters, I'm thinking.

My personal early warning system consists of a Whippet/Manchester terrier mix and an American Staffordshire terrier. Both are friendly and laidback during daylight hours, but VERY protective and territorial after dark. With a doggie door, they can patrol the house and grounds effectively so that I sleep quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    One with big teeth that has bonded to your family.
    +1 Concur dog is an xlnt alarm system.

PS
    actually, even small cuddly dog is an xlnt alarm system! Early warning living alarm!!!

I have a cat. He is awesome. Once we move to MD we will be getting a little dog (noisy) and a great dane (my wife loves them). Landlord's not so pet friendly here...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links