What would you do? Room Clearing Exercise

This is a discussion on What would you do? Room Clearing Exercise within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I remember an incident in Kansas about 10 years ago,they were looking for somebody that had warrants,they thought he was in a house and a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would you do? Room Clearing Exercise

I remember an incident in Kansas about 10 years ago,they were looking for somebody that had warrants,they thought he was in a house and a canine officer went in with his dog,he sent the dog upstairs and the dog went up and didn't alert so the deputy went up as his upper body cleared the stairwell the suspect who had been hiding in a room open fired with a 12 gauge and killed the deputy,then as the dog attacked he shot and killed the dog.Even a K9 team can be overcome in a building search,They can be extremely dangerous
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerwoods View Post
    Thanks for the input and suggestions everyone. Good info for sure! I definitely would not go out of my way to clear my house unless absolutely necessary. In AZ the castle doctrine does apply, however, my life and those I care about are not worth putting on the line just to ensure my property is safe.
    Definitely my friend. I concur that if no family is anywhere else in the house, then it's bunker down and 911 it or go out a window in the bedroom if possible and call and watch from outside.

It's hard to put that military training aside even today and remember that it's not just always me, I have to think about my wife (though she can shoot as good as me if not better), she doesn't have the training I do, so I need to ensure her safety first, then go after the SOB.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    I would not attempt to clear my house...call 911
    I see these statements a lot. We all may ignore the fact, but every time we come home our houses may need clearing. We can't call 911 every time we return from the store or if we wake up because we heard the refrigerator switch on or off.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    I see these statements a lot. We all may ignore the fact, but every time we come home our houses may need clearing. We can't call 911 every time we return from the store or if we wake up because we heard the refrigerator switch on or off.
    +1

Confirmation of a threat should happen before dialing 911.

Stay in a defendable position and call the police. If you have to clear rooms, you apparently do not know his location. That means the odds are 50/50 he could see you first. I that happens, you lose your life instead of an appliance or electronic possession. Most home owner policys cover theft, but I don't know about funeral expenses for occupants who die in the line of principal convictions. I would only provoke a deadly force encounter if the criminal entered my safe area. Now, if you know where the intruder is, and can approach him with stealth as to get the drop on him first, it is a different matter. But believe this my friend, the pucker factor goes up exponetially in the dark. The most dangerous type of combat is urban warfare. I lost a man in my platoon during house clearing ops in Panama. Also, you can senario until the cows come home, but when you have to stare at a dead man in your living room, and have your front yard lit up from police, ems, fire and the news, while you are twisted in knots, and starting to feel the effects of taking a human life plus all he stigma that follows days after, in the end, you still lose. I am not a passive person, defend your life if necessasary, but don't force a confrontation if you can avoid it. People can say what they want, but when the moment of truth comes, things change quickly.

My clues are...my brittany makes a definite low bark/growl at unknown sounds.. he knows the difference between the midnight fridge attackers and somethings not right sounds..I always let the dog go first at that low growl. Not that the dog is gona do much other than bark at a stranger..not in thier nature to attack.
    If I come home and that dog isnt at the door, somethings up. If the dog is with me and we come home he will act strange ( normally chomping at the bit to go bug the cats ) stopping at the door and backs away til he can figure out whats up..again somethings up.
    I really cant stress enuff that if you can own a dog then do so and make sure you pay attention to him. You will find after awhile that he will let you know whats up in the house before you even know somethings up.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

I had to clear my detached garage one morning as I never lock it and the car and truck where in there. the issue was my neighbors brother shot his dad and mom and killed his dad. they had reason to believe he had come up our way to hide out at his brothers(my neighbor) so as my wife stood guard in the house armed I cleared the garage so we could evacuate to safe territory with the children. It is a real odd feeling and very hard to do alone looking back I don't know if i would do it again or call 911 but it seemed trivial to burden 911 without even an assumption there was an issue. We lock the doors now.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Stay in a defendable position and call the police. If you have to clear rooms, you apparently do not know his location. That means the odds are 50/50 he could see you first. I that happens, you lose your life instead of an appliance or electronic possession. Most home owner policys cover theft, but I don't know about funeral expenses for occupants who die in the line of principal convictions. I would only provoke a deadly force encounter if the criminal entered my safe area. Now, if you know where the intruder is, and can approach him with stealth as to get the drop on him first, it is a different matter. But believe this my friend, the pucker factor goes up exponetially in the dark. The most dangerous type of combat is urban warfare. I lost a man in my platoon during house clearing ops in Panama. Also, you can senario until the cows come home, but when you have to stare at a dead man in your living room, and have your front yard lit up from police, ems, fire and the news, while you are twisted in knots, and starting to feel the effects of taking a human life plus all he stigma that follows days after, in the end, you still lose. I am not a passive person, defend your life if necessasary, but don't force a confrontation if you can avoid it. People can say what they want, but when the moment of truth comes, things change quickly.
    Couldn't agree more.
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links