What would you do? Room Clearing Exercise

This is a discussion on What would you do? Room Clearing Exercise within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi all, I drew up a layout of my home and numbered each area that would need to cleared (see attached). Im interested in others ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do? Room Clearing Exercise

What would you do? Room Clearing Exercise

Hi all,

I drew up a layout of my home and numbered each area that would need to cleared (see attached). Im interested in others feedback as to whether or not my plan is sound or not should I ever need to execute this plan.

This plan would only go into effect IF it was not clear that someone was actually in my home (bumps in the night stuff). If it is obvious someone is there, I would stand fast and hold a defensive position from the master bedroom while waiting for LEO to arrive and only engaging the threat if absolutely necessary.

Below is the order in which I would clear my home starting in room #1 (master bedroom)

A few notes, rooms 3,4,5 can be difficult to clear, there will always be an uncleared room to your back.

Hallways 10 and 8 are a high risk confined area.

4 is a laundry room that leads to the garage.

9 is a guest bathroom

Note the direction the doors open.

What would you do?

Suggestions?

Look forward to hearing everyones input.

And no, a blonde woman with a golf club will not be my backup
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Do you live alone? If not, is anyone else capable of defend themselves?
    "Just blame Sixto"

1, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 9, 2

Your back will never be toward an uncleared room that way, since you're working alone i assume. With my wife at home, i'd stay in the room with her though, since your house is a big circle. At the same time, there are more rooms closer to the bedroom....again I'd go with doing to my way if i was alone.

Good idea I should do it.
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

If there is no family member on the other side of the house or in other rooms, why clear them - call 911 and secure your position. Let them do the hard work. Only engage if you must.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

I'm no expert on the situation, which is why I'm with Paul. Sit tight, and let the public servants serve the public!:

Do you have a Secure room ?

Sorry guys, I should have added a few more details. My fiance would be in the house and I do have 5 dogs (2 useless and 3 capable of posing a threat to the BG) that sleep in the master bedroom. However, IF I did need to conduct a room clearing for whatever reason, my OP would have been my plan.

SIXTO Do you live alone? If not, is anyone else capable of defend themselves?

No, my fiance lives with me as well as 5 dogs. My fiance has gone to the range with me but is by no means capable of assisting me in a house clearing exercise.....YET, she has expressed interest in CCW and learning to defend herself, so I am excited!

LordHamlett 1, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 9, 2

Your back will never be toward an uncleared room that way, since you're working alone i assume. With my wife at home, i'd stay in the room with her though, since your house is a big circle. At the same time, there are more rooms closer to the bedroom....again I'd go with doing to my way if i was alone.

Good plan Lord, I guess its dependent on where the "suspected" bumps in the night come from. But your plan does keep uncleared doors away from my back. I agree that I would have a hard time leaving my fiance by herself in the master, but I do have 5 dogs that could assist if for whatever reason the BG comes out while I am on the opposite side of the circle.

paul45 If there is no family member on the other side of the house or in other rooms, why clear them - call 911 and secure your position. Let them do the hard work. Only engage if you must.

ExHippie I'm no expert on the situation, which is why I'm with Paul. Sit tight, and let the public servants serve the public!:

This plan would have only been for the suspected "bumps in the night", if its obvious that there is an intruder, I definitely stand down, call 911 and only engage if absolutely necessary

Eagleks Do you have a Secure room ?

I do not have a panic room (but plan to harden a walk-in closet), my "night time intruder plan" for my fiance upon a confirmed threat in the house, is to grab a cell phone, go straight for the walk in closet in the master bedroom, shut the door, get on the floor and dial 911 while I stay in the main part of the master, camp it out and engage if necessary.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Clearing a house or room to room is a tactically time consuming effort.

You said you have 5 dogs, from your words, their inside the house, well right there is your room clearing partners my friend. Whether they are useless or not, they are going to tell you where the BG is or is not one way or another from going after him/her or running from him/her. They are your tactical advantage right there.

They are more then likely going to follow you, leave one to guard whomever is with you, take the other 4 with you, they'll tell you where he/she is one way or another you'll have your answer.

Just my view.

P.S. This is only in the case that you have to clear your house.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    Clearing a house or room to room is a tactically time consuming effort.

You said you have 5 dogs, from your words, their inside the house, well right there is your room clearing partners my friend. Whether they are useless or not, they are going to tell you where the BG is or is not one way or another from going after him/her or running from him/her. They are your tactical advantage right there.

They are more then likely going to follow you, leave one to guard whomever is with you, take the other 4 with you, they'll tell you where he/she is one way or another you'll have your answer.

Just my view.

P.S. This is only in the case that you have to clear your house.

Thanks for the input, I def agree that the dogs could be my backup IN THE EVENT I have to conduct a clearing exercise to confirm an intrusion threat.

I have cleared some rooms, but it usually involved Mexican food.

Quote Originally Posted by paul45 View Post
    If there is no family member on the other side of the house or in other rooms, why clear them - call 911 and secure your position. Let them do the hard work. Only engage if you must.
    Agreed. ^^

Clearing a house as an exercise is difficult.
    Try to do same under training exercise as via some projectile method. Doing this is harder than Chinese math.

Can it be done, yes.
    But if you absolutely don't have to do so (such as family check/rescue) then IMHO beat feet to the closest viable exit (door or window) and evac to a safe position at the exterior...Then out source it to 911 and their canine to do the heavy lifting of a search.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I would not attempt to clear my house unless I still had children at home in other bedrooms. If I did have them I would still not attempt to clear the house, but instead get them in my room.

It is difficult for one person to clear a house, and it is my opinion that the BG has the advantage since he does not have to worry about whether a family member is walking around.

Lock your bedroom door and call 911.

Regards,
    Jerry

Get a remote controlled ATV,mount a wireless internet cam,use vehicle to scan for potential threats,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thanks for the input and suggestions everyone. Good info for sure! I definitely would not go out of my way to clear my house unless absolutely necessary. In AZ the castle doctrine does apply, however, my life and those I care about are not worth putting on the line just to ensure my property is safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links