Four-legged defense system question

This is a discussion on Four-legged defense system question within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I didn't want to hijack the other thread, but the topic is related. My wife and I both work, and we have no kids. When ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Four-legged defense system question

Four-legged defense system question

I didn't want to hijack the other thread, but the topic is related.

My wife and I both work, and we have no kids. When we first moved into this house, we entertained the idea of getting a dog (for security and companionship), but eventually decided that it wouldn't be fair to a dog to leave it here for extended periods of time alone. Also we live in the city with a small city lot, so we'd have to walk a dog regularly since it couldn't get its exercise here. When the cats adopted us, we didn't really feel guilty since this home was better for them than being homeless and starving.

Do any of you have dogs that you leave alone for several (8-10?) hours per day? Are some breeds better at spending time alone than others? I would love to have a white GS, but I don't want to create a huge messing, chewing problem for myself because the animal can't handle being here all day alone. Also if we did get a dog, I could adjust to the walking, but I'd have to have someone care for it when we are out of town.

Any creative solutions to dog issues are appreciated. For now we're dogless and will remain so, but that extra layer of security sure would add some peace of mind.

Darren

2. Remove Ads

The solution to leaving a dog alone for 10 hours is to have two dogs to keep each other company.

Distinguished Member
    You could go to the pound and get an older dog that would be quite happy to lounge around in your home most of the day. A win-win.

VIP Member
    +1 on both of the above.

We are involved in rescue and currently have several critters in the house that are left alone during the day. The younger ones play in the house and (well fenced) yard (doggy door) and do indeed keep each other amused. Our older boy (14, but still very vital) spends a majority of his time lounging around, with the occasional patrolling of his domain keeping us safe from the neighbourhood deer, raccoons, and cats.

Rescue dogs rule!!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Get a really big cat and let the two of them worry about each other all day. It worked for us.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    I had a dog that lived to be 16 years old. He was a black lab and pitbull mix. When my mom started working again, he was left at home for 8-10 hours at a time. He was chill with it.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

If you want a dog and a cat, have a dog first before a cat as a dog can accept a cat but a cat first can't accept a dog to come in to her territory. If you want a 4-legged critter, either a dog or a cat, have a Siamese cat. They are good companions and can be left alone all day, fed once a day in the morning with wet food and have a recirculating drink and dry food all day. It is also a good guardian and can kill, very territorial too and very talkative. You just have to teach it to be gentle to family members and it will...
    Bill and Izzie: Proud parents of a soldier.
    I thought of you all day today when I was at the zoo.

The cat was a better 4 legged alarm system than the dog. She heard them coming before he realized what was going on. Then he took over and she hid.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

You want a dog that will bark and alert you. Not necessarily a canine assault weapon. Like most people said get two or another animal they can get along with. There are a lot of organizations out there than can help you with your decision.
    For the stength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack. - R. Kipling

Romans 1:22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools [professing to be smart, they made simpletons of themselves].

We had two female dogs who kept each other company. I think the females are better suited for staying in the house. Ours had less of a tendancy to mark things when they got bored. A Daschaund/Pekingese mix and a Collie/Golden Retriever mix. They were a good combination for warning, lound noise and obedient. Very good with kids, protective. Both were rescue dogs and we had them as pups for 15 years.
    Last edited by rangefinder; January 30th, 2010 at 11:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    A good dog book has tips on breeds that might be happy snoozing all day. Good Dog, Band Dog is one. We got a pound puppy and he is great. There were some tremendous older dogs at the pound. I'm sure the people at the shelter could give you some good advice.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    You just said it yourself, you don't have time for it, it would be home alone by itself for 8-10 hours by itself or you would have to have two to have companionship for each other, but you have stated you have a small place, so it sounds like one is it.

My view is stay dogless my friend. Wait until the time is right and your reason for a dog is strictly companionship with the othehr factors being secondary as a plus, but not part of the reason for having a dog.

I see way to many dogs just wasting away day in and out for no reason other then someone wanted to have a dog just to have one, but they didn't have the time or energy to have one. Don't do that to another creature of this earth.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

I had two Black labs for 14 years, they would be alone, anywhere from 1 to 12 hours a day. BUT I have a fair size yard and I had a bunch of neighborhood kids that thought Sam (the wonder dog) and Molly were just another play friend. So when we got home I would turn them loose and they would good have a blast with the kids.

But when I called Sam home and I had the "dummy" in my hand he KNEW it was time to go to work. Sam LIVED to bring me stuff. I trained him on everything under the sun. Frisbee's, Softballs, tennis balls, sticks, beer cans, that dog would bring back a grenade if I threw it. I did that so when he got a bird in his mouth it wouldn't bother him in the least

I also trained him to run around to each window in the house and bark if I said the word "Burglar". When he was a pup I would go outside and bang on a window, when he started to bark, my wife would say Burglar. So anytime someone knocked on the door or step on the back deck, he would go nuts

Ok I got to stop typing about sam now, he past away in my arms a few years ago and I still miss him
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

VIP Member
    One dog I've had is a min-pin. Lovely personality. Very sweet. Can be very energetic and playful or just lazy around happily. Seems to "seldom" need to go out--doesn't like to be outside. Makes lots of noise and sounds fierce, but is no "attack dog."

We are advocates for rescue too. Many in shelters these days are owner surrenders because of this economy and a lot of the dogs are already house trained, nuetered or spayed -- and getting a dog that has grown out of the puppy stage has it's own benifits.

A lot of the rescue groups will also screen to make sure they find a good fit for your family and life style, so it's not as much of a surprise to see what you are getting yourself into!

As for chewing and destructive behavior, that happens mostly when a dog is bored and left to his own devices. Dogs will create diversions for themselves. That isn't to say they are being bad on purpose.

Dogs need jobs and they need something to do. Dogs are problem solvers. If you don't provide them an outlet for their energy, they will find it on their own.

As for traveling, we have friends who use doggie day cares when they are out of town. We have been lucky enough that our daughter lives nearby and if we travel, we could take them to her house. She's moving, though - so I'm losing my resident doggie day care!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links