UK Finally starts to talk about self defence

This is a discussion on UK Finally starts to talk about self defence within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Guys I need you to "help" the discussion on its way!! David Cameron (possible new Prime Minister after May) Is talking about making our laws ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Guys

I need you to "help" the discussion on its way!!
    David Cameron (possible new Prime Minister after May)
    Is talking about making our laws easier, the comments are interesting and a lot of Americans have already posted, comments are at the end of the article....

'Burglars give up any human rights': David Cameron gets tough on right to defend home | Mail Online

Tint Bob (UK)

Under existing laws, homeowners are allowed to use only ‘reasonable’ force to tackle a burglar. The Tory proposals would strengthen the law so they would face prosecution only for using ‘grossly disproportionate’ force.
    A step in the right direction, at least.

In my own state, Oregon, the "reasonable man" type standards aren't so very different than that used in the UK. Scary thought, given how the UK abuses the term to within an inch of its life, practically presuming you are the criminal if you're left standing. Think it couldn't happen here, in the USA? Caution is due.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It's all talk until the people say they want it so and .....literally..... sue for that change of direction. Good Luck.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    It's funny, but British and American self-defense laws aren't all that different. It's mostly who constitutes a "reasonable man" that's different.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    That word reasonable is always under scrutiny and always will be. They keep trying to describe what is reasonable. One day reasonable will be that your dead on the floor of your own home and your murderer didn't work up a sweat doing you in.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    It's funny, but British and American self-defense laws aren't all that different. It's mostly who constitutes a "reasonable man" that's different.
    I would say not true in the realistic sense. No castle doctrine, duty to retreat, duty to not escalate deadliness of response (i.e. no gun if BG has knife, etc.). Too many cases of homewoner getting arrested and slammed, while BG walks.

I agree with you Rustynuts. We were briefed once I got stationed in England how the self defense laws were different. We could basically ask a guy to leave our home if he broke in, can you imagine that. They say "reasonable force" can be used like tackling the guy, however, if you hurt him while tackling him then I'd be in trouble as well. Their laws are nothing like ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Tint Bob View Post
    Guys

I need you to "help" the discussion on its way!!
    David Cameron (possible new Prime Minister after May)
    Is talking about making our laws easier, the comments are interesting and a lot of Americans have already posted, comments are at the end of the article....

'Burglars give up any human rights': David Cameron gets tough on right to defend home | Mail Online

Tint Bob (UK)
    BIG SURPRISE! But how are people going to defend themselves w/o means of defense?

With furniture? Like living room chairs? Or are they all required to join cricket club so that they can legally use cricket bats as impromptu self-defense tool? LOL!

The responses from those supposed "civil liberties campaigners" were utterly disgusting. Those people are the ones who should get a good beat-down from some burglars who they can only "ask" to leave and see if they continue spouting off that stupidity.

Brings to mind the old saying, "A Neo-Conservative is a Liberal who was mugged last night".
    Life is too short to be serious!

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    We had a mainstream newspaper talk about self-defense in a almost resonable manner. The hardcore left can't hide the fact that bad guys are hurting innocent people in their homes and people are getting fed up.

It's a tragedy, but Brits gave away their rights when they permitted themselves to be disarmed. Great Britain is now the "slave state" Obama envisions for the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    I would say not true in the realistic sense. No castle doctrine, duty to retreat, duty to not escalate deadliness of response (i.e. no gun if BG has knife, etc.). Too many cases of homewoner getting arrested and slammed, while BG walks.
    You hit the nail on the head! What they need over there is the castle doctrine and several boat loads of imported firearms to give their Subjects the possibility of being Citizens!

Just think of how many firearms have been deactivated in the time the U.K. has criminalized the public ownership of firearms: click. Browning Hi-Powers, 1911 pistols, rifles of all sorts. On that list, there's even a Browning BDM, which shows how far into the barrel they've dug.

Hopefully sanity will prevail at some point. I'd like to think that the mentality that results in only criminals being armed cannot last forever.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Why doesn't he run for President over here? We have a pretty good head start on the weapons issue in this Country, it would be nice to have an individual in the "Top Office" that understands our take on things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links