Lighting Stratagy for Home Defense

This is a discussion on Lighting Stratagy for Home Defense within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Motion detector lights on all your entrances / sides of house are a good thing, I think. That will help you spot intruders on your ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lighting Stratagy for Home Defense

Motion detector lights on all your entrances / sides of house are a good thing, I think. That will help you spot intruders on your property, as they approach your house.

The night light (or just a low wattage lamp) is a good idea too for the ends of the hallways/stairs leading to your bedroom. That way any intruder who gets inside your home will be silhouetted. Yea it is a little more money in electricity but is much better defensively I think.

2. Remove Ads

My motion sensor lights are on all 4 sides of the house, mounted high enough, not to b tamperd with. If all were on at the same time, it would look like a helo-pad! lol. They are all set to stay on for 10 mins. My dog tends to notice when one of the lights are on, and she usually checks things out. She has a meen bark if something is not right. If I heard a bump in the night, and my dog was still at my side, im comfy in saying it is one of my loved ones stirring in the night. If she is not, i go condition orange, and secure my family first(wake wife if she is not, gather in my seven year olds room) and then see what the dog is doing. iIf she is freaking, I am at condition red, and wife is dialing 911. If the house alarm goes off, someone has just made a mistake. WRONG HOUSE!
    S&W M&P 9C
    RUGER LCP
    S&W 5906
    COLT DET. SPEC.
    S&W 686-6"
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck", Author un-known

Also consider strobe lights.

For outside lighting in wooded areas where there are a lot of nighttime critters, I suggest infrared beams outside the doors, mounted on the landing at the top of the stairs. To prevent false triggers from small animals, use the type that require a large break in the beam to activate (i.e. not just a single beam type like used on garage door safeties.) Large animals are not likely to come up on your deck or front stoop (except the occasional bear)

Inside the house, remote controlled strobe lights (X10 system or similar) that you can activate/deactivate as needed. - Basic configuration is X10 controlled power source wired to an infrared motion sensor, wired to a strobe light. When you go to bed, activate all the X10s in areas where BG are likely to enter. If a BG does enter, he gets the strobe response, which most likely disorients him.

If you decide to go confront the intruder, you can use the X10 remote to disable the strobe(s) in the room(s) you are going into and activate normal lighting or make the room go dark and use your weapon light / flash light to illuminate the target.
    Member - NRA, IDPA

Don't ask a question you don't know the answer to

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Midnight412. +1 Thanks for a great idea.

Related to the posts here about motion-activated lights:

I've purchased several solar-powered, motion-activated flood lights for our yard over the past few years.

The best one has worked perfectly for about a year, and now has died. While it worked, it was exactly what I needed; when anyone stepped into it's coverage area, it immediately lit the area with a strong light, and the light stayed on for a time period you could set. It also had an integral audio alarm, but I never used that.
    The others worked anywhere from a few weeks to a few months.

I've searched the web for the one that worked well for us, as well as any others I could find; they all seem to come with only a short (30-60 day) guarentee. My impression is that most of these products are not well built, although it seems to me that the principle they work on is fairly straightforward.

Does anyone have any experience with these products? Can you make any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by RicT View Post
    Related to the posts here about motion-activated lights:

I've purchased several solar-powered, motion-activated flood lights for our yard over the past few years.

The best one has worked perfectly for about a year, and now has died. While it worked, it was exactly what I needed; when anyone stepped into it's coverage area, it immediately lit the area with a strong light, and the light stayed on for a time period you could set. It also had an integral audio alarm, but I never used that.
    The others worked anywhere from a few weeks to a few months.

I've searched the web for the one that worked well for us, as well as any others I could find; they all seem to come with only a short (30-60 day) guarentee. My impression is that most of these products are not well built, although it seems to me that the principle they work on is fairly straightforward.

Does anyone have any experience with these products? Can you make any recommendations?
    Those solar lites have a nickle cadnium battery that will need replacement after 6-12 months.
    God so loved the world he gave his only son...
    Whoever believes in him will not perish but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16

W

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links