security cameras, u have them? / retailers

This is a discussion on security cameras, u have them? / retailers within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was wondering how many of you have security camera's in place at your home. Also to those who have cameras what kind of system ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: security cameras, u have them? / retailers

security cameras, u have them? / retailers

I was wondering how many of you have security camera's in place at your home. Also to those who have cameras what kind of system do you have, are you using the traditional dvr or using your computer as a dvr and record straight to the computer if so what software are you usine to monitor and record.

I am looking to get security cameras. I would like to use my PC with a dvr capture card and 4 night vision cameras. Does anyone know of anywhere on the net that is reliable and has reasonable prices

my main 2 concerns are

1. are cameras worth the money
    2. where is a good place to get a system

2. Remove Ads

I currently don't have them, but I buy lots of stuff through newegg.com They will have just about anything you'd want for security cameras and bundles with DVRs.

Here's one of them for example:
    Newegg.com - Aposonic 4 Camera+4 Channel 320GB DVR with Web/Mobile Phone Access (A-BR1B4-C250) - DVR & Kit Solutions

Some of the ones they offer allow you to stream it to certain phones and lots of them you can watch over the internet.

I'd be interested in a camera controller that can handle 4 cameras..the ones I have seen for sale are in excess of $1000...a little bit out of range for my wallet
    "Brains before Bullets"

I use game trail cameras at my place.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    you can set up an inexpensive system using an old computer and a few webcams or network cameras. Should be less than $200 and works well.

EvoCam

You can have it motion activated, it records movies to you computer, and can email you photos in real time, ... it works fine.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Security Cameras

Fry's has a ton of systems that are complete with cameras, cables, and video recorders using large hard drives. In our neighborhood we are installing 4 cameras at the only entrance and 4 at the Pool and Tennis courts. We will see all cars, the people in them and their tags coming and going. At the pool and tennis courts we will see the whole pool, parking lot, pool gate and tennis gate. Total system including night vision cameras is under 8K. This will make it less inviting for mischief and more inviting to go somewhere else. We will have signs that say "Smile you and your friends are on Color TV" Some of the stuff at Fry's is around $1500 for 3 cameras, monitor and recorder. There is some really good stuff on the market and all in color.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

I use this system at my office, easy set up, records to computer, can view on line remote and set up the receive video clips to your cell phone when it detects motion.

Logitech Digital Video Security

I use X-10 cameras and software for home surveillance and automation. [I]I [I]have had success, however several others have not. YMMV
    X10.com - Security Cameras, X10 Home Security, Wireless Camera, Home Automation, Electronics and More!
    I do everything the voices in my wife's head tell me to do!

Impossible is not a word. It's just a reason for someone not to try!

I was in a security store last week asking about dual night and day cameras. He told me the newer cameras are daylight that adjust to night without IR (except on totally black nights). Also the field of view is larger so I would need half as many making it cheaper all the way up the line.

I've got two of these installed in a computer

Q-SEE QSDT4PCRC DVR PCI Card - 4-CH, H.264 at TigerDirect.com

with 8 of these camera's

Q-See CMOS Night Vision Dome Color Camera at TigerDirect.com

Then i have PC Remote Control Software and Remote Access Software: Control Remote PC Securely, Transfer Files, Share Remote Desktop, Access Remote PC from Anywhere, Perform System Administration installed on the same machine and can view my camera's from anywhere I have internet access.

Total cost for system with 8 cameras was $500

This is a view at night with no lighting

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    I bought from this company before. Good selection of entry level and pro stuff.

Security Cameras | Video Security Camera System | CCTV Video Surveillance Systems

I live with my mom, and she rents an apartment, so no. When I get my own place, either an apartment or my own house, I plan to have a few.
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

I wrote my own program. Not only am I able to see my home from work. If there is motion it pops up on my computer to alert me.
    http://www.clearvisionsoftware.com

That was the feature I couldn't find in any other program which is the reason I wrote my own.
    It also records motion.

I also use this cheap color cam I bought which hooks to video capture card in computer:
    http://www.clearvisionsoftware.com/Cam1.jpg

total cost $50.

As I type there is a thin layer of snow on the ground with no action at my place.

Check out Security Spy Software. ..:: SecuritySpy ::..

This is what I'll be using. Basically Security Spy is software for an Apple computer that allows it to act as a DVR. It surprisingly has a lot of features. You can easily wire this system yourself with basic knowledge. I'd recommend having a dedicated computer for it, like a used Mac Mini.

I bought a Linksys Network cam that I can access on my computer while I work from home in my basement. It lets me see who is at my door without getting up from my desk. Works via Wifi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links