How would y'all feel about this.

This is a discussion on How would y'all feel about this. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am currently in Iraq as a civilian contractor; a couple days ago I tried to call home and the phone line was nothing but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would y'all feel about this.

How would y'all feel about this.

I am currently in Iraq as a civilian contractor; a couple days ago I tried to call home and the phone line was nothing but static, in fact the previous night it had generated a 911 hang-up call. So I called in a trouble report to the phone company and they promised 24 hour repair (I called her on her cell phone).

Next time I called she told me the person dispatched on the repair was a Latino, who displayed no identification, had NO grasp of the English language, was driving a non-descript truck with a ladder on top and absolutely no identifying markings. Now since I am over here I pay extra every month to cover possible inside wiring trouble (I am a telecom tech so I took care of things when I was home), and the house is on an isolated private drive with no neighbors in view.

She did as she has been instructed to do, she grabbed her S&W 642 CT and tried to speak to him through the locked door, but she couldn't understand him. The problem was outside and he fixed it, but what if he needed to come in???????????

Would you call customer service and pitch a fit? I have waited 36 hours now to cool down enough to be civil when I call.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Would you call customer service and pitch a fit? I have waited 36 hours now to cool down enough to be civil when I call.
    I think I sure would, especially if it's one of the "National" carriers, all their techs should be able to speak English AND produce valid company ID!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    I would. The need to know that the contractors they're using are not easily identifiable, and make their customers uncomfortable. Hopefully they give a damn. If not, at least you tried.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Unless your provider is tiny I would think they would have standard uniforms, or trucks, or something to identify themselves. It's a cheap form of advertising after all, and few companies walk away from that. I would call and complain. If nothing else the lack of language skills is an issue.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

... tried to speak to him through the locked door, but she couldn't understand him. The problem was outside and he fixed it ...
    Of course, with a tech call made and a service tech dispatched, it's extremely likely this person was from the telco regarding your call.

But, to have them touch anything without being able to identify themselves is a big no-no, for me. You can't prove who you are? You leave, and I arrange for someone to come who can do so.

... but what if he needed to come in?
    With both problems, with failure to communicate and failure to identify combined, he wouldn't get in, at my place.

Would you call customer service and pitch a fit?
    My nickel ante:

No fits but, prior to any further attempts at service I would speak with the manager/director of the service group and make my displeasure known, regarding the problem.

If this were related to any other "normal" issue, that's one thing. But coming onto the property or into the home presents a security question. Failure to identify combined with failure to communicate simply isn't good enough.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

In our area we have had at least 2 instances recently of perps impersonating or attempting to impersonate cable TV repairmen in order to gain access to homes.

Call them, pitch a fit.

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

VIP Member
    I am currently in Iraq as a civilian contractor; a couple days ago I tried to call home and the phone line was nothing but static, in fact the previous night it had generated a 911 hang-up call. So I called in a trouble report to the phone company and they promised 24 hour repair (I called her on her cell phone).

Next time I called she told me the person dispatched on the repair was a Latino, who displayed no identification, had NO grasp of the English language, was driving a non-descript truck with a ladder on top and absolutely no identifying markings. Now since I am over here I pay extra every month to cover possible inside wiring trouble (I am a telecom tech so I took care of things when I was home), and the house is on an isolated private drive with no neighbors in view.

She did as she has been instructed to do, she grabbed her S&W 642 CT and tried to speak to him through the locked door, but she couldn't understand him. The problem was outside and he fixed it, but what if he needed to come in???????????

You said the problem was fixed. If it was, let it go. If you do not want service techs entering your house when are you paying for inside wiring, especially as you said "you fixed the problem", change your service.

Do you want to instruct your wife to shoot service people who come through the door? Not all people are bad.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Distinguished Member
    There is absolutely positively no way I would let anyone like that in either.

I would most definetly call Customer Service and ask for a supervisor and CALMY explain what happened and what your concerns were.

I would followup with a letter to the company with a cc to local and regional managers with the same - a politely written account of what happened and what your concerns as a customer are.

I'm sure this is the kind of stuff that drives you nuts about being gone. It was the opposite for me, I was the one away with hubby at the reigns of the house (and this was before cell phones or internet). A whole different set of problems.

Good luck and be safe.

cg

Mic
    If you can't identify yourself or talk to me in my language, then in front of my gun is a bad place for you to be
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Whether or not the problem was fixed without entering your house, you should call the phone company to complain about a bad policy that endangers both their customers and contractors. Ask them about their liability should a customer being attacked by an impersonator when the company doesn't even make an effort to provide worker identification to its customers. Then ask about their liability should a customer mistake a worker for a burglar, shooting him dead. The resulting lawsuits would be both against the homeowner and the phone company. Definitely ask to speak to a supervisor!

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    The city utilities people have uniforms the city buys, launders, and requires employees to wear. Reason being, they go on to and sometimes into private property. Got a call one day from a friend that said his mom was frightened by the utility guy because he had a t-shirt, shorts, and no id when he came to the door. I crapped my pants.

Turns out it really was a city employee. He just thought it was too hot to wear long pants and a shirt. I don't know what the utilities superintendent did to him, but I noticed the utilities boys were looking sharp for a while after that. They must have been out on the hardstand for uniform inspections twice a day.

Your telcom probably has a policy and would love to know an employee is blowing it off.

No English, no ID? Not only are you not coming into my home, neither are you working on the outside of my home...leave my property NOW!
    Then I make two calls, one to the possible company he works for, and a call to 911 to report a suspicious individual...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    You said the problem was fixed. If it was, let it go. If you do not want service techs entering your house when are you paying for inside wiring, especially as you said "you fixed the problem", change your service.

Do you want to instruct your wife to shoot service people who come through the door? Not all people are bad.
    If no speak ENGLISH YOU GO DOWN ROAD bad or not that's the way it should be in AMERICA
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    No English, no ID?

... and a call to 911 to report a suspicious individual.
    Without ID, someone asking to work on my home in some manner certainly qualifies as suspicious and worth knowing more about. As bad and dangerous as things are, these days, this is absolutely the safest path: to call police and have the person identified for cause, as a suspicious person and potential threat. You never know. Plenty of crimes have occurred in exactly this way (with "false colors").
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

First, yes call them.

Second, do you think it's a subcontractor thing. The sub hired this guy and the company they are representing does not know about it? I have a phone/internet junction box next to my house. There are trucks in and out all day long. Most are marked. One guy hit my mailbox and busted it good. He tried to zip tie it back together. When he could not fix it he came to the door. He was a local guy, but no uniform or marking on the truck. He paid me cash to get it fixed so that was OK. But I was not aware until then that they had sub's doing work for them too. If I had not seen him working on the box I would not have known what he was doing there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links