Question regarding DAO as a night stand gun

This is a discussion on Question regarding DAO as a night stand gun within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I normally have my HK P2000 Loaded up with 13 rounds of HST 147 sitting on my night stand next to me while I sleep. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question regarding DAO as a night stand gun

Question regarding DAO as a night stand gun

I normally have my HK P2000 Loaded up with 13 rounds of HST 147 sitting on my night stand next to me while I sleep. It is a LEM and normally I would keep it in a holster, but since I've attached a light to the front of it I keep it out of the holster, without one in the chamber since it doesn't have a safety. So that means that I will have to wake up (hopefully the yip yip dog helps me with that) rack a round and stay put since it's just me and the wife and we sleep in the same room. If need be we can escape to my "man cave which connects to our master bedroom and I have access to my safe.

So I guess I am looking for advice. I lowered my trigger pull on the LEM to between 4.5-5.5 from the stock 7.5. If it was you how would you do it?

2. Remove Ads

I have a Beretta 92D that is DA only and I like that. I have tried several DA/SA pistols and the change in trigger always messes me up. I grew up on 1911s and prefer SA only but I own a few glocks, revolvers and bought this Beretta and I like it. Shot a few IDPA matches with it and never had a glitch.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    At sleepy time I punch in the code to open the safe on the nightstand. I have a .38 revolver, two .357 revolvers, a .44 Magnum revolver and my 1911. Hubby's side of the bed has a 1911, Glock 19 and a .357 revolver.
    All are within arms reach.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Personally, I lower trigger pull on competition shooting guns only. I want a stock, somewhat heavy pull for HD. If and when you need it, out of a sound sleep, your heart rate will sky rocket and the stress of the potential situation will reach its peak. I don't want a light weight trigger to accidently go off too soon. Yes, I know all good shooters keep the finger off the trigger. But when things go bump in the night, ones senses are not totally engaged. Regarding not having a round chambered is your personal choice. But, if someone is standing at the foot of your bed or in the doorway, the act and sound of pulling the slide will alert the intruder. Maybe that's a good thing and maybe it's added time to you being able to get off a self defense shot. Different ideas and methods for all.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

Quote Originally Posted by cuban11182 View Post
    I normally have my HK P2000 Loaded up with 13 rounds of HST 147 sitting on my night stand next to me while I sleep. It is a LEM and normally I would keep it in a holster, but since I've attached a light to the front of it I keep it out of the holster, without one in the chamber since it doesn't have a safety. So that means that I will have to wake up (hopefully the yip yip dog helps me with that) rack a round and stay put since it's just me and the wife and we sleep in the same room. If need be we can escape to my "man cave which connects to our master bedroom and I have access to my safe.

So I guess I am looking for advice. I lowered my trigger pull on the LEM to between 4.5-5.5 from the stock 7.5. If it was you how would you do it?
    I would racthet my trigger pull back up to the stock weight, put one in the pipe and put it in a holster, keep bedside. OMO YMMV
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

The problem is with the light attached to the end of the gun it won't fit. I think it is eaiser to pick up the gun and rack a round with the flashlight attached, rather than remove from serpa holster then attach the light, inneviatbly placing your hand in front of the barrel, which under most circumstances shouldn't be an issue since you should keep you finger out of the trigger anyway.

I've read multiple people who say that you should leave your guns stock in case of a SD situation, but to me that is rediculous. If you are lightening your trigger pull to be more efficient in your shots and that is an issue if you go to court, then you shouldn't be able to go to the range, because it is accomplishing the same thing, making you more efficient with your firearm.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    agree with the trigger pull... I would be more concerned about how smooth the trigger pull is so I don't jerk the trigger.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Distinguished Member
    I would rather have a heavier trigger pull and one in the chamber for nightstand duty rather than a light attached and not-one-in-the-chamber.

How about a hd shotgun with a light instead?

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    I would rather have a heavier trigger pull and one in the chamber for nightstand duty rather than a light attached and not-one-in-the-chamber.

How about a hd shotgun with a light instead?
    I forgot to address the light. I agree with cammo girl for a lot of reasons about separating the gun and the light.

Originally Posted by cuban11182
    The problem is with the light attached to the end of the gun it won't fit. I think it is eaiser to pick up the gun and rack a round with the flashlight attached, rather than remove from serpa holster then attach the light, inneviatbly placing your hand in front of the barrel, which under most circumstances shouldn't be an issue since you should keep you finger out of the trigger anyway.

I've read multiple people who say that you should leave your guns stock in case of a SD situation, but to me that is rediculous. If you are lightening your trigger pull to be more efficient in your shots and that is an issue if you go to court, then you shouldn't be able to go to the range, because it is accomplishing the same thing, making you more efficient with your firearm.
    My train of thought regarding trigger weight is more related to prevent a ND rather than what a DA or jury might think. I do agree with another poster that cleaning the trigger up is a good thing but making a race gun out of a HD gun could have a bad outcome.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Cammo,

I do have a 12 gauge with a home made light attachment, but I can move from one room to another to get it. I just would rather have 13 rounds of 9mm than 5 of the shotgun.

My set up is a separate 4 D battery light and a Beretta 92D for home defense.
    1 in the chamber, full mag, in the right hand, light in the left, carried up high on the shoulder. I figure if I need to I can use the light for a club.

I also want to be able to point the light at things I might not want to shoot.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    I'd much rather have a flashlight in my left hand or no flashlight at all than to have to chamber a round in my weapon if someone unwanted is in the house. I want my weapon chambered and ready to fire.

You might also consider looking for someone that makes Kydex holsters and have a 'molded Kydex Holster' (like a sheath)made up for the P2000 that will accomodate the light while protecting the trigger.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Administrator
    I'd just buy a holster that works with my equipment and be done with it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Properly chambering a round in the middle of the night in a house is as noisy as thunder to a intruder.... I wouldn't want them to know I'm armed unless I tell them.
    Chinese Proverb:
    "When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others."
    VCDL member (DE.357;Ruger 4" GP-100 .357;Ruger 2.2" SP-101 cc hammer .357;BT .380cc.

Agree...a kydex holster made for your light and gun should be relatively inexpensive and the easiest solution.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links