I think my house was being scouted

This is a discussion on I think my house was being scouted within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got home from the gun range and then a late meal,my range buddy and I usually go eat after shooting for around 2 to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I think my house was being scouted

I think my house was being scouted

I got home from the gun range and then a late meal,my range buddy and I usually go eat after shooting for around 2 to 3 hours.As I'm turning down my street my house is about 5 from the corner,I see 3 teenage kids walking across my yard coming from between my neighbors house and mine.our yards are totally fenced in.
    As I get about 20 feet away a fourth kid appears from between the houses and I'm now at condition red,nobody has any business in that area at 11:30 pm,I get out of my jeep and yell hey what the F are you doing in my yard,I get some kinda BS backtalk,So I call 911 and the dispatcher asks if my house was broken into,I tell him I don't know but they need to get these kids checked out,he tells me to call their non emergency number.I shoulda told him if they had a buncha my stuff when they came outta my yard I woulda been calling for an ambulance.
    They had a Police chase after some burglars in the sub division down the street from mine last week and one car they were chasing ran headon into a SUV killing 2 people and injuring 3.That's It tomorrow my house gets ringed with motion activated lights,and I'm putting up a few wireless IR cameras
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

Something like that would make it really difficult for me to sleep. +1 on the lights and cameras and you should also let all your neighbors know what you encountered.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I agree with everything that deadeye72 said. Get those motion-activated lights installed ASAP and talk with the neighbors. Also I'd get a dog.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    claymore mines.... problem solved.

errmmm... yeah cameras and light would work too.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I know they are just kids, but as you say your yards are totally fenced in, then they had to jump in your fence (trespassing) or is their gaps in between? It's 11:30 P.M. Not clear enough for you to see clearly if they are armed or not + trespassing, touchy situation for sure.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

yes they were checking you out. you got home just in time.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I got home from the gun range and then a late meal,my range buddy and I usually go eat after shooting for around 2 to 3 hours.As I'm turning down my street my house is about 5 from the corner,I see 3 teenage kids walking across my yard coming from between my neighbors house and mine.our yards are totally fenced in.
    As I get about 20 feet away a fourth kid appears from between the houses and I'm now at condition red,nobody has any business in that area at 11:30 pm,I get out of my jeep and yell hey what the F are you doing in my yard,I get some kinda BS backtalk,So I call 911 and the dispatcher asks if my house was broken into,I tell him I don't know but they need to get these kids checked out,he tells me to call their non emergency number.I shoulda told him if they had a buncha my stuff when they came outta my yard I woulda been calling for an ambulance.
    They had a Police chase after some burglars in the sub division down the street from mine last week and one car they were chasing ran headon into a SUV killing 2 people and injuring 3.That's It tomorrow my house gets ringed with motion activated lights,and I'm putting up a few wireless IR cameras
    What the ... you gave them the information, they could have dispatched an available officer, and they tell you to call the non-emergency number, after you have just arrived and aren't sure if someone, may have got inside? I'm not sure I'd be too happy about that. All this after a recent similar burglary on the same street? Nice proactive police work. Call a different number and re-report the incident giving the suspects time to get away.
    I would definately look into security lighting, a dog, trimming any bushes that would give cover to someone hanging around where they don't belong. Reinforce doors and locks, talk with others in the neighborhood and possibly start a neighborhood watch. Keep a close watch on anything that even hints of being suspicious and get the neighbors on board about reporting anything unusual, multiple calls may get them more interesting in responding if there are more incidents in the future.
    Check again with the PD and see if they have a crime prevention department, talk with someone about extra patrols in the area, express that you and several neighbors are concerned about the recent activites.
    I'm sure I don't have to tell you to carry 24/7.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I've heard everything from people planting thorn bushes under windows to getting motion detectors that "bark" like a dog when tripped.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Non emergency for active trespass? Nice.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

I agree with you on that one; get the IR cameras, thats what we have and they work great. They are hooked up to a DVR that records about 60 days worth of video before it starts erasing previous events. I have one real camera overlooking each side of the house/yard, and two fake ones that are set in plain view on the front and the back of the house. They are even triggered by motion and move when someone approaches. The real ones are up high and cannot be found unless you really look for them. We have motion lights as well, and those are probably the biggest deterrent overall. I do also have a couple of motion sensors that buzz a small alarm in my bedroom to let me know if someone is approaching the house, so I can look at the cameras to see what is going on. Given what some LEO buddies told me about home invasions, we figured it would buy us a few extra seconds to get ready. At 3am, an extra 30 seconds to clear the cobwebs could mean a lot.

Check out TigerDirect.com - Computers, Computer Parts, Computer Components, Netbooks & Electronics for the IR cameras, thats where I got mine and they work great....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

You should of told the dispatcher you were entering your house with your gun drawn and you felt sorry for anybody that might be in there. :)

There is a 6 ft fence that runs between all the houses,set back about 12 feet from the front of the house,to enter anybodys back yards you have to enter thru a gate,there is a back fence that runs the entire length with side fences seperating the yardsI have one on each side of my house one walk thru for a person and one larger for my riding lawnmower,my neighbour has a motion activated light that if you even move between our property on that side of the house it lights up,that's how I sqw the little "angel"s coming out of my yard as I was coming down the street and actually caught one coming across my driveway,I have alarms on all my windows,if the window gets raised an Inch they let out a piercing shreek,I'm gonna be calling the Police and letting them know what a buncha BS there dispatch center is,Guess I shoulda said I just shot the little... and when they showed up and said I thought you said you shot em I woulda said you told me to call another number 1911,I will be cutting off some 4 penny nails and driving them in to the tops of my fence boards just leaving them sticking up about an inch anybody grabs the top of the fence to try to climb over will be leaving a blood trail
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I will be cutting off some 4 penny nails and driving them in to the tops of my fence boards just leaving them sticking up about an inch anybody grabs the top of the fence to try to climb over will be leaving a blood trail

I love that plan, but you may have some liability issues doing that. I would hate to see you get sued by some punk thief that gets cut by the nails.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Well, at least you live in the best state for protecting your 'stuff', and I do feel that people should be able to protect their stuff. I have no problem with giving someone some major 'health issues' over taking stuff that might interfer with my livelhood...enough people don't feel that way, until that is, that their 'stuff' is taken.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Reminds me of something I read some where. An elderly couple heard a rucuss in there shed so he goes to investigate and sees some guys rummaging threw his stuff and taking thing's so he calls 911. Dispatcher tells him it will be 30-45 minutes everyone is busy so he hangs up and calls back 2 minutes later. Tells 911 that he just shot a guy for stealing his stuff. LEO was there in minutes.

I am sure I botched that but it was a long time ago I read that.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links