Emergency gun stash... - Page 2

Emergency gun stash...

This is a discussion on Emergency gun stash... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There are safe companies who specialize in wall safes for just your occasion. Hang a mirror over it so breaking the glass doesnt give away ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Emergency gun stash...

There are safe companies who specialize in wall safes for just your occasion. Hang a mirror over it so breaking the glass doesnt give away her hiding place. She can access the guns and ammo in a stealth way to surprise the attackers, giving her more time to react. If the kids move the mirror they cant get in the safe. Security and leathality in one.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

Not knowing exactly what the mirror is I may be off base, but perhaps you could put some laminate on the back or masking tape to help with the glass shards. I like the idea and it seems you already have your mind made up, you just wanted a thumbs up When the ARMY is done with me I hope to buy a house with all sorts of nifty spots to hide stuff and sneak and be a weird old man!

I would be personally more comfortable with a fobus holster screwed to the underside of the counter in a cabinet or in a drawer, if you are worried about it being discovered just velcro some 1/4 inch plywood over it if you have friends or something that you wouldn't trust to not snoop through the bathroom.

if you have a larger drawer pull it out all the way and mount holster to the back of the drawer (outside) so it can only be accessed by removing the drawer all the way. be sure to check that the drawer will close all the way or you might have to notch out the drywall behind it.
    Last edited by FknRa; February 18th, 2010 at 01:49 PM. Reason: more info
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Excellent idea but the breaking glass thing is a bit excessive and in a time of panic presents a number of risks to your wife. In addition to all the risks already listed that may result in your wife being shredded by glass there is the risk of her letting the intruders know exactly where she is. Remember just because she manages to get a gun does not mean she will be safe.
    Here is another variant of your idea you may want to consider. hidden mirror safe
    If you are real serious about security you may want to look at HiddenSafes They are very security oriented. If they do a safe room for you it is like a spy movie. All the workers are from out of area and blind folded when they arrive at your site no one but you knows where your room is or how to get into it. Trust me these are very serious people. You also have a PM for a final option I would rather not share on an open board
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

An acquaintance I know (bit on the wealthy side) built (I've never see) two panic rooms. One was under his front porch. Under a cement slap. Was built when he purchased a large safe he wanted to add to a home, did not want to deal with how to get the safe in the home, so just built a room under the front poarch, that also doubles as a safe / panic room.

During that time he also upgraded (at very little cost) his master bathroom with solid doors and solid locks. He mentioned the bathroom had a hidden compartment for a shotgun). In addition the bathroom had access to the home's security pad.

For many homes, the bathroom is a great place to properly secure a firearm.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

VIP Member
    I like the general idea, but have two concerns, one already mentioned above somewhere.

1) flying glass poses its own dangers and could disable you or your spouse from a fight
    2) shy might not be able to actually break the glass with a hairspray can . A lot depends on exactly what the glass is like, heavy leaded glass just might not easily break. You'd need to hide hammer under the sink. And without some practice, breaking the glass safely (standing back, maybe wrapping a hand in a towel, covering your eyes) might still be a problem.

I think this is a bit too off the deep end to be completely viable.

However, I do actually like the general idea of hiding one in a bathroom, as that is the room most folks will run to for shelter---even though it provides very little.

I'm not sold on the idea of the mirror. It makes sense, but I think there are a lot of things that could go wrong. What if your wife doesn't have time to put on shoes, and arrives in the bathroom bare footed?

I have a Rem870+buckshot stashed in my bathroom closet. The only way to get to this bathroom is through my bedroom, so if we need to retreat in the middle of the night, I won't be left empty handed if I have to go without my handgun. I figure the bathroom door would buy me just enough time to get the shotgun shouldered and ready.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Great input, everyone... I agree, the glass is a problem... but I have little hands in the future, so I have to find a balance of stealth, access, and security. Can't leave them behind furniture or in a drawer, but any conventional safe will be slow for my wife to access. I leave my Sig on the nitestand now, but in a few months, that's going to have to come to an end, too.

Longrider's HiddenSafes website is very cool... definitely food for thought there. I like the air vent safe...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    Great input, everyone... I agree, the glass is a problem... but I have little hands in the future, so I have to find a balance of stealth, access, and security. Can't leave them behind furniture or in a drawer, but any conventional safe will be slow for my wife to access. I leave my Sig on the nitestand now, but in a few months, that's going to have to come to an end, too.

Longrider's HiddenSafes website is very cool... definitely food for thought there. I like the air vent safe...
    The air vent safe is neat but $295...
    God so loved the world he gave his only son...
    Whoever believes in him will not perish but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16

W

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by wpage View Post
    With about $20 worth of lumber, fasterners, and a vent from your local hardware store, you could easily build the same thing and maybe just velcro the vent onto the wall. The security isn't in the mechanism, it's in the hidden aspect.

This and the can safe are well known though, and are really only for the in and out burglar types. Anyone that knows how to do a real search would find that very quickly.

A better idea, and one that would be a little bit harder to find would be to have a piece of floor moulding that is removeable. You could easily make a space behind it for a couple handguns, a couple boxes of ammo and other valuables.

Az

Quote Originally Posted by wpage View Post
    All comes down to priorities. Its a great deal if your loved ones safety is worth $295. Some folks spend 100 times more and feel they got a good deal. Our home has some improvised stash spots for weapons. It also has a custom built hidden vault/safe room, a separate panic room and a secret escape hatch.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

VIP Member
    I think that the humidity in a bathroom might be bad for long term storage. You don't want to break the mirror in a crisis only to find that 5 years of hot steamy water vapor has turned your firearm to rust.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I think your problem will be getting the mirror offf in the first place to get your gun in there. I'll bet if it's as heavy as you say, that it's also glued on the wall with construction adhesive. I may be wrong, but try to check with the people who did the work and see how they attached it. Just tell them you're thinking about moving it or something.
    As to breaking it, just leave a small hammer in a drawer, nobody will figure out what it's for.
    If you do it, tell her to be careful, she may get hurt more by the mirror than the BG

I would break the glass by wrapping a very large bath towel around my entire arm and use my fist in a hammer strike. Trying to smash it with a can of hair spray is inviting a serious laceration to the hand or forearm.

Be sure you have enough padding from the towel to protect from a major laceration. Don't just use one or two layers of material. Use five, six or even seven layers of towel between your skin and the glass. (You get the idea) I would use two towels if needed for the extra padding.

Even better, have a tool such as a hammer stashed somewhere in the bathroom specifically for breaking the mirror. I would still wrap a towel around my hand even if using a hammer. If the hammer is just laying in the cabinet under the sink with say a roll of duct tape and some pliers and screwdrivers, no one would think the hammer is there for a specific purpose.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Let me be a voice of reason here

What is the one room in your house guests are allowed to enter without you being there to watch them?

Now does the bathroom look like such a good place?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links