Emergency gun stash... - Page 3

Emergency gun stash...

This is a discussion on Emergency gun stash... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; i love the idea because its very secure just in case u have visitors or nosy people that like to poke around in the bathroom. ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Emergency gun stash...

i love the idea because its very secure just in case u have visitors or nosy people that like to poke around in the bathroom.

it will always be there. , and hopefully will work when needed...maybe stash two guns( per mirror ) in there if possible...or a revolver or something.

cons..well if shes hiding from the BG, and she she breaks the mirror, that'll give away where shes at..and if she waits for the last mins to break the glass, then she might not get to it in time, so maybe a reinforced bathroom door might help.

second con, is the glass might put her in danger, if it ends up on the floor, she might step on it. ( well i dont wear shoes in the house. so this might be diff for you)

and as someone mentioned, she might cut her hand...maybe a hidden hammer under the sink or something might work better =]

you can make a hidden gun storage in the floor in the bathroom all ya have to do is pull up wood inside unde rthe sink and pull out the gun, thats what i might do when i buy a couple other guns and put a kel tec unde rthe floor inside the cabinet under the sink
    Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty
    Walther P99 .40 S&W
    Romanian WASR GP 10/63
    Remington model 700 30-06
    Savage Model 62 .22lr
    Glock 19 gen 3 TALO

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Anytime you have a "break glass" anything it should be Tempered safety glass.

I know you don't want to spend money to replace your existing mirrors but in the future...
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

In my master bath, within my bedroom is a small keypad safe neatly bolted in the vanity below the sink, nestled between the bath towels. It's out of sight, in a room that nobody other than my wife and I use. And in the safe is the S&W .357 which is my wifes favorite weapon, loaded with an extra box of ammo. In our lower level, I'm about to install a wall safe for one of the auto's.

When I was a kid, my dad came into possession of a couple of pistols. He wanted to secure them, (from me) yet keep them retrievable in an emergency.
    He was not then a "gun guy".

He cut open a hiding spot in the wall, and simply walled it over with thin drywall.

If there was an emergency he would simply have to give a punch through that one spot.

Guns stayed there for 10 years, til he sold the house....

Fortunately he remembered JUST before he turned the house over to the new owners.

The guns were fine. MOST of the 60 year old ammunition was fine. ( the ammo had previously NOT been in an environment as dry as the inside of the wall.

No, he did not fix the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by TravisABQ View Post
    When I was a kid, my dad came into possession of a couple of pistols. He wanted to secure them, (from me) yet keep them retrievable in an emergency.
    He was not then a "gun guy".

He cut open a hiding spot in the wall, and simply walled it over with thin drywall.

If there was an emergency he would simply have to give a punch through that one spot.

Guns stayed there for 10 years, til he sold the house....

Fortunately he remembered JUST before he turned the house over to the new owners.

The guns were fine. MOST of the 60 year old ammunition was fine. ( the ammo had previously NOT been in an environment as dry as the inside of the wall.

No, he did not fix the hole.
    That was my other concern, forgetting them if you moved

Quote Originally Posted by boatail View Post
    That was my other concern, forgetting them if you moved
    My wife ribs me about the remodels on the house will never pay off. She says she can see us telling a potential buyer in addition to the safe room with an escape hatch into a tunnel and the hidden vault there is also X # of secret stash spots a bunker and under the garage shop is another hidden room you access by. The potential buyer will run screaming into the night thinking we are a pair of para military whack jobs
    Last edited by LongRider; March 30th, 2010 at 09:12 PM.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Originally Posted by PointnClick So here's the idea... what if I took down the mirrors, placed a loaded pistol and spare mag in the framed out nook, and put the mirrors back? In a home invasion or other emergency, my wife would need to just get to a bathroom, smash the mirror with a can of hairspray, and she is now armed.
    Wouldn't it be easier for your wife to just carry a gun?

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I haven't read all the responses. A question.

Will she be able to get to the bathroom if someone breaks in, is it located in your bedroom or down the hallway? Where is it in location to the front room, dining room, kitchen, garage etc. etc...

Just asking because if they break in, will she have time to get to it. Just something to think about before going to the expense or time.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Another option that can be purchased at most hardware/lumber stores is a hinge kit that turns the drawer panel in front of the sink (on most vanities and counters) into a fold out storage tray.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Another option that can be purchased at most hardware/lumber stores is a hinge kit that turns the drawer panel in front of the sink (on most vanities and counters) into a fold out storage tray.
    Are you talking about something like those kitchen sink drawers that hold your sponges and stuff. Looks like the face of the cabinetry.
    If so that is an interesting concept Would be easy to come up with a discreet latch or/and lock to prevent accidental opening by curious little hands. Excellent idea I can think of a dozen different ways that can be used on all kinds of cabinetry, furniture even molding. Good one I like it.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Sounds like a great idea. The catch to me would be- if the mirrors are as heavy as you say they are, how confident are you that your wife will be able to break through them quickly?

If you're set on the thought of breaking the mirror I'd invest in a three or five pound dumbell. It may look odd in the bathroom vanity but it is easily held and has the heft to smash a mirror while protecting your hand. A plumbers wrench would be even less low profile, especially under a sink. And if you're unable to get to a gun itself either tool would be a good impact weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Which everybody knows about and puts things about kid height. Only if it was lockable somehow, at least for me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links