Emergency gun stash...

This is a discussion on Emergency gun stash... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; BSNOW's post on "hiding your guns" reminded me of something I was considering... an emergency gun stashed in both of my bathrooms. Both of my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Emergency gun stash...

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar

Emergency gun stash...

BSNOW's post on "hiding your guns" reminded me of something I was considering... an emergency gun stashed in both of my bathrooms.

Both of my 2 bathrooms were remodeled years ago, and they removed the standard "in the wall" medicine cabinets and installed wood cabinets that match the vanities/sinks. They covered the holes with large (roughly 2x3) mirrors. So behind the mirrors are framed out "holes" in the drywall where the old medicine cabinets used to be.

So here's the idea... what if I took down the mirrors, placed a loaded pistol and spare mag in the framed out nook, and put the mirrors back? In a home invasion or other emergency, my wife would need to just get to a bathroom, smash the mirror with a can of hairspray, and she is now armed. The guns are safe from guests and kids, as these heavy mirrors are almost a 2-man job to remove and require a screwdriver to get them off the wall.

It's dry and dusty in there... no moisture. A thorough lube should keep any rust at bay. The downside is that there will be glass all over the vanity and possibly the floor if the mirror is broken, but in an emergency, that is the least of my concerns... I'm mainly concerned about my hunnee home alone. In an emergency, she can take the phone in the bathroom, lock the door, call the cops, and smash the mirror, if need be...

Your thoughts...?
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

2. Remove Ads

My biggest concern would be getting cut with falling glass or the hand going through it as you/she breaks it. Not a bad idea but maybe hide it in a panel behind a picture hinged on the wall.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

What's wrong with going with something a bit more simple, like hidden under the table face of a nightstand or coffee table? Are there usually children in the house?

See, that's too obvious... a picture can be moved. These mirrors can not move, without a screwdriver. They are thick, heavy suckers... do they call 'em leaded mirrors...? They don't budge for a nosy houseguest or curious child...

But they break in a split second, in a crisis... in case of emergency, break glass...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

ExHippy sez...

What's wrong with going with something a bit more simple, like hidden under the table face of a nightstand or coffee table? Are there usually children in the house?
    I'm looking for concealed weapon(s), that by virtue of their concealment, they are almost as safe as they would be if they WERE in a safe... and in this case faster to access than a safe.

And little hands are in my future....

If you're already armed in the home, you won't have to run anywhere for a firearm.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Don't have my wife carrying, or even shooting regularly yet... I'm concerned about her alone, should I not be around. But she has shot enough to know how to empty a .45 Glock into a BG outside the bathroom door, I believe...

She is a hot-headed redhead from Texas, after all...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    , smash the mirror
    What about that pesky 7 years of bad luck?

Seriously, it sounds reasonable enough, sort of like the "break glass" type of emergency for fire hoses, etc that I've seen in the past.

I might consider putting the gun/mags in a ziplock bag along with a dessicant pouch......just to be on the safe side.

BTW sometimes glass can be TOUGH to break, hopefully she'll be able to break it without too much trouble, and that she won't cut herself in the process. Good hiding place idea though, hope it works out.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Maybe not a bad idea that you have. Myself, I have become quite creative in the art of hide and conceal in house. You have to think out every senario that you may experience in the event of a problem. First off our kid's and grandbabies are out of state. Next, (BTW your wife sounds like mine), she has to know what you decide on with her imput of course. And don't forget the change up drill when the Grand kids are visiting. Hope this helps.....

I'm liking this idea because the guns aren't unsecure in a nitestand drawer, or locked in a safe she has to fidget with under stress. Finding a creative hiding place is easy... finding a creative hiding place that also has almost instant access is harder. I wouldn't suggest hiding a pistol under a mattress... but I think digging a pistol out from under a mattress would be even slower than my mirror idea...

I like the idea. I would suggest storing the firearm in a silicone sock and perhaps having a steel wastebasket in the bathroom to aid in breaking mirror. As a high end home remodeler my home has several hidden nitches and secret wall compartments. the mirror is a good idea if you don't plan on using that gun except for emergency. Perhaps a revolver would be better suited.

Yes good! Do your have any stairs, or steps to go to another level of your homes? How about Fireplace's that really aren't. These can work for quick access to the weapon if you just think on it. And do not do this without getting the wife or partner totally involved in the whole process. Won't work without there 2c. I could go on but I'd be tipping my mit way to much. Just have to to remember it's a team effort.

AzB
    The only things I can think of that would make me think twice about that would be the glass shards, of course. But also the noise it would make. If you needed to be stealthy, or at least keep your location quiet during a break in, smashing the mirror would immediately give away your position.

Az

It sounds like a good idea and if you think its good and so does your wife then go for it! I have guns stashed throughout the house, usually in holsters screwed to the backs of nightstands, under coffee tables, behind the bookshelf, in the closet above the door, etc. All out of sight, but able to get to within seconds. I carry in my home too, and they are more for my wife to use than me, but you never know! Good idea, keep thinking like that and you might end up having guns stashed all over too!!

Your wife: "Honey, what are you doing to that wall with that hammer?"
    You: "Making another firearm hiding spot in this wall behind the refrigerator."
    Your wife: "Oh, okay dear. Just clean up your mess when your done!"

I think it sounds like a good idea but could need some engineering.
    I too would be concerned about the glass shards like someone else said. Those big mirrors don't break well and leave big nasty shards.

I wonder if there is a safer mirror? Maybe something that crumbles like auto glass? I do like the concept though.
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links