Neighbor Lost Car Stereo Saturday Night

This is a discussion on Neighbor Lost Car Stereo Saturday Night within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So at about 3 in the morning night before last, my wife and I were quickly awakened by a woman screaming somewhere outside. We heard ...

Thread: Neighbor Lost Car Stereo Saturday Night

So at about 3 in the morning night before last, my wife and I were quickly awakened by a woman screaming somewhere outside. We heard a car speed by a few minutes later, and didn't think anything of it after that.

Earlier today, I was down at my neighbor's house picking up my daughter who was playing with their kids, and found out it was his wife. I walked up and he was putting his stock stereo back into his vehicle to replace the stolen aftermarket one, and where there used to be a lock on his driver's side door there was a hole and a crack in the plastic door handle. Apparently, his wife woke up and caught the thief in their vehicle and screamed at him. The thief quickly finished stealing the stereo, got into his car, and sped off. He told me he was going to go buy a shotgun immediately, which is something I was telling him he should do prior to this incident.

Then they were talking about how they would have liked to shoot the guy's tires out, and I explained that would probably get them arrested instead of the thieves, since the shots might hit our neighbors and simple thievery is not enough to justify such a response, especially outside of their house. They could still use the gun to scare them off though I told them, and probably force them to leave the stereo where they found it. He plans to go to the police station this week to get his long gun permit.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Didn't realize you were in Hawaii, Peck... you need a permit for a long gun...?
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    Didn't realize you were in Hawaii, Peck... you need a permit for a long gun...?
    In Hawaii you need a police department-issued long gun permit that lasts for one year and allows you to get any long gun you want. There is no assault-weapon ban (except "assault pistols") and no magazine capacity restriction (except 10-rd pistol limit). In order to get it, you go down to the police station, get an FBI fingerprint, fill out 5 forms, then wait 2 weeks and pick up your permit. The permit must be renewed every year, with a two week waiting period for every renewal. Every time you buy a long gun, there is no waiting period and you then have 5 days to take it back to the police station to register it.

For pistols, you have to take the NRA Basic Pistol Course, then present your certificate to buy the handgun. You take the receipt for the handgun to the police to fill out the same permit paperwork as a long gun, then wait two weeks, go back to the police station to get the permit for that specific pistol, get the pistol, and bring it back to the police station to register it within 2 days. The permit is good for only 10 days.

With all that in mind, that is why he will probably go with the shotgun instead of a pistol.

Hawaii is a long way from Kansas, but...

"...They could still use the gun to scare them off though I told them, and probably force them to leave the stereo where they found it."

Thanks to a recent Kan. Supreme Court ruling, it is considered felony aggravated assault to simply brandish a weapon. My understanding (I'm a newby but have been doing some research & studying) is the Justices say you cannot use the "self defense" defense if you just show a weapon, meaning, I suppose, they would prefer you just shoot the guy than run him off.

I've also heard from many sources a gun should not be used as a threat anyway: don't pull it out unless you intend to use it.
    Last edited by Skippys; February 17th, 2010 at 11:55 AM.

Wow you guys down there in Hawaii need to remove your government. That sounds terrible.

Move to TX and sight in the rifle...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Probably a bad idea to blast someone over a car stereo but it's a good idea to be armed in case the same idiot wants to enter the domicile and endanger the family.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippys View Post
    Thanks to a recent Kan. Supreme Court ruling, it is considered felony aggravated assault to simply brandish a weapon. My understanding (I'm a newby but have been doing some research & studying) is the Justices say you cannot use the "self defense" defense if you just show a weapon, meaning, I suppose, they would prefer you just shoot the guy than run him off.

I've also heard from many sources a gun should not be used as a threat anyway: don't pull it out unless you intend to use it.
    You could be right. I strongly encouraged them to research the laws on that kind of thing in this state. He still has to get his long gun permit anyway...

Sponsored Links