13 things your burglar won't tell you. - Page 2

13 things your burglar won't tell you.

This is a discussion on 13 things your burglar won't tell you. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 My cousin is the WORST with the facebook thing. Her husband too. About once every hour or so, they have a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 13 things your burglar won't tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    My cousin is the WORST with the facebook thing. Her husband too. About once every hour or so, they have a post saying what they are doing and where, with a link to a google maps of where they are.
    This is pretty clever: A couple of guys started a Web site called http://pleaserobme.com/ that pulls data from Twitter and Foursquare, two services where members broadcast updates about where they are and what they're doing. Which also is a valuable resource for burglars who want to know when their potential victims are away from home.

The site's operators DON'T want people to get burglarized. Pleaserobme.com is part parody, part warning to people who give away too much information online.

Great info. Thanks!

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippys View Post
    This is pretty clever: A couple of guys started a Web site called Please Rob Me that pulls data from Twitter and Foursquare, two services where members broadcast updates about where they are and what they're doing. Which also is a valuable resource for burglars who want to know when their potential victims are away from home.

The site's operators DON'T want people to get burglarized. Pleaserobme.com is part parody, part warning to people who give away too much information online.
    I passed that on to a few guilty parties.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

One of the local TV stations was talking about the "please rob me" site last night, and warned people they should NOT put out so much personal info for anyone to read on the web. It totally boggles my mind that people could be that clueless!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

AzB
    Another tip; I've seen more than one break in where the BGs used tools from the homeowner's toolbox to break locks/safes and used the family car to haul the stuff away.

Lock your toolbox, and hide or lock up your spare car/house keys.

Az

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Great reminders! Thanks for the post!

nutz4utwo Quote:
    Don't forget to poop in the yard!
    P.S. If anyone needs some dog poop for their fake security dog, you're welcome to come get some from my yard.
    ArkhmAsylm likes this.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Also, people park their cars on the street or driveway with the garage door opener in the visor... Anyone can break the car window and press that button for easy access to the garage and then the house.

Hide that opener (ashtray works well) and lock the door between the house and the garage...
    Hopyard likes this.
    ------------------------------>
    Shoot Straight

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I'm also a fan of leaving the T.V. on in the front room and bedroom for the dogs and cat.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

I have heard that having the garage opener manual handle hanging down by a garage door window is a way for the BG to just break the small window and pull on the handle unlocking the garage door.
    Hopyard likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    The OP & comments are all good reminders.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

I've seen where Burglars did it the simpliest way possible..... the cut a hole in the roof with a battery operated saw, dropped down into the attic and right thru the sheetrock ceiling.

Anyone can get in your house if they really want to ...
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Too bad you can't just give ignorant family members a "friendly, educational burglary." But even that is a crime and not recommended. But no doubt, you'd like to.

Still, I don't think even that would wake up some people.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    Great info! Wish more people would think of these things.

My cousin is the WORST with the facebook thing. Her husband too. About once every hour or so, they have a post saying what they are doing and where, with a link to a google maps of where they are. Their "at home" posts also show this, so I can know where they live, and then how far away from home they are, and therefore a guarantee of at least how long the house will be vacant. I've talked to them about it and they won't listen!
    Well, I suppose it depends on what kind of "friends" you have on facebook. A year ago I wouldn't mind posting stuff like that because my only friends on there were close friends and relatives. However, for some reason I started accepting friend-requests from people i know less and less. I think I have 4 or 5 people on there now that I'm not even sure I know at all. Most of them I think are friends of friends who wanted in on a conversation posted on my wall. Anyway, so I'm pretty careful about what I post on there these days.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I've seen where Burglars did it the simpliest way possible..... the cut a hole in the roof with a battery operated saw, dropped down into the attic and right thru the sheetrock ceiling.

Anyone can get in your house if they really want to ...
    That's one way of doing it. If the house has a crawl space beneath it (just look for the foundation vents), most alarm companies don't put a sensor on the crawl space door. Many people don't bother to lock that door and if they do, it's just a cheap padlock. Go in beneath the floor and cut as big a hole in the floor as you need to gain access. You don't have to worry about somebody seeing you on the roof or working in a hot attic that way.

Check the outside of the house for those "fake rocks" that people leave keys beneath. That's just toooo easy. While you're at it, look under the mat and above door frames and beneath flower pots sitting around. You might get lucky.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

One more thing...I know that if I do something that trips the alarm, the phone in your house will ring. That's the alarm company calling to see if it's a false alarm. If the phone doesn't ring, I can be pretty sure that you have decided to save some money and stop paying the monitoring fee. There will be some noise, but nobody is calling the cops.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links