13 things your burglar won't tell you. - Page 3

13 things your burglar won't tell you.

This is a discussion on 13 things your burglar won't tell you. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Something mentioned above is very important,be alert with people that work on or inside your home.One of my brothers moved near Dallas 2 years ago.He ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 13 things your burglar won't tell you.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Something mentioned above is very important,be alert with people that work on or inside your home.One of my brothers moved near Dallas 2 years ago.He parks his wife's car and his motorcycle in the garage,which leaves his truck in the driveway.Very nice neighborhood,homes close together.He had a new roof installed 3 weeks ago,last week he walked out to find his truck on blocks, and his tires were only a week old.I told him this is easy,the roofers knew some thieves.The police were sympathetic,but they said it is probably a lost cause.Although this brother was an M.P. in Vietnam,he still believes he is in the small town we grew up in.I told him he needs motion lights,driveway alarm,etc.I think he has a new attitude.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

There are a lot of great tips here. Something is missing though. Few people are talking about making the place a hard target.

Put in solid core doors with locks from a real lock smith. Use screws that go through the molding and frame. Those 1/4" or 1/2" screws will rip out when kicked. You can go so far as to have the door fram reinforced with the aluminum they use to hang comercial doors. Put a screw through the wood and aluminum and it isn't coming out.

3M makes great window treatments. You can get a film that will protect your window from breaking. It is similar to the film they put on auto windshields. You can get it in even stronger flavors though. You can also get viynl replacement windows with "night latches." They are little pieces of plastic you can set to stop the window from raising more than 3 or 4 inches.

Put up a security camera. Even a dummy camera will make crooks think twice. They don't want to risk being seen. A couple of cameras teamed with motion sensing light will help. Team them with a drive way or hunting camera. A nice bright flash that says you got them is a great early deterent.

Soon I will be installing a drive way alarm on my porch. It will be set so that anyone coming on the porch will set it off. I plan on setting the reciever up so that it can be heard outside.

If somebodt wants to come past the cars, the lights, the porch alarm, and try to break in they aren't there to play bridge. By that point I will be awake and taking action to secure the family and hunker down.

An alarm is great. Police don't take them seriously though. Residential burglar alarms go off so often that they are considerred low priority calls. Nine time out of ten it is either junior trying to sneak in or dad forgot the passcode again. So, it should only be one layer of your protection. The more chances there are that a crook is seen the less he wants to be there. The longer it takes to get in the less likely he will hang out and try to get in.

VIP Member
    Another suggestion, landscaping is nice but keep any shrubbery around windows or doors trimmed to preclude a thief using it for cover while breaking in.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Another suggestion, landscaping is nice but keep any shrubbery around windows or doors trimmed to preclude a thief using it for cover while breaking in.
    We have a lot of long spiked cactus plants just inside our windows which makes it difficult to just climb in through a window, if they were to get a window open.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links