13 things your burglar won't tell you.

This is a discussion on 13 things your burglar won't tell you. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had this sent to me today and post it here in the fact that it might stimulate some ideas or discussion. I'm sure it's ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 13 things your burglar won't tell you.

VIP Member

I had this sent to me today and post it here in the fact that it might stimulate some ideas or discussion. I'm sure it's not an all-inclusive list, but a good reminder nevertheless.

13 Things Your Burglar Won't Tell You

1. Of course I look familiar. I was here just last week cleaning your carpets, painting your shutters, or delivering your new refrigerator.

2. Hey, thanks for letting me use the bathroom when I was working in your yard last week. While I was in there, I unlatched the back window to make my return a little easier.

3. Love those flowers. That tells me you have taste ... and taste means there are nice things inside. Those yard toys your kids leave out always make me wonder what type of gaming system they have.

4. Yes, I really do look for newspapers piled up on the driveway. And I might leave a pizza flyer in your front door to see how long it takes you to remove it.

5. If it snows while you're out of town, get a neighbor to create car and foot tracks into the house. Virgin drifts in the driveway are a dead giveaway.

6. If decorative glass is part of your front entrance, don't let your alarm company install the control pad where I can see if it's set. That makes it too easy.

7. A good security company alarms the window over the sink. And the windows on the second floor, which often access the master bedroom-and your jewelry. It's not a bad idea to put motion detectors up there too.

8. It's raining, you're fumbling with your umbrella, and you forget to lock your door-understandable. But understand this: I don't take a day off because of bad weather.

9. I always knock first. If you answer, I'll ask for directions somewhere or offer to clean your gutters. (Don't take me up on it.)

10. Do you really think I won't look in your sock drawer? I always check dresser drawers, the bedside table, and the medicine cabinet.

11. Helpful hint: I almost never go into kids' rooms.

12. You're right: I won't have enough time to break into that safe where you keep your valuables. But if it's not bolted down, I'll take it with me.

13. A loud TV or radio can be a better deterrent than the best alarm system. If you're reluctant to leave your TV on while you're out of town, you can buy a $35 device that works on a timer and simulates the flickering glow of a real television. (Find it at faketv.com..)

8 MORE THINGS A BURGLAR WON'T TELL YOU:

1. Sometimes, I carry a clipboard. Sometimes, I dress like a lawn guy and carry a rake. I do my best to never, ever look like a crook.

2. The two things I hate most: loud dogs and nosy neighbors.

3. I'll break a window to get in, even if it makes a little noise. If your neighbor hears one loud sound, he'll stop what he's doing and wait to hear it again. If he doesn't hear it again, he'll just go back to what he was doing. It's human nature.

4. I'm not complaining, but why would you pay all that money for a fancy alarm system and leave your house without setting it?

5. I love looking in your windows. I'm looking for signs that you're home, and for flat screen TVs or gaming systems I'd like. I'll drive or walk through your neighborhood at night, before you close the blinds, just to pick my targets.

6. Avoid announcing your vacation on your Facebook page. It's easier than you think to look up your address.

7. To you, leaving that window open just a crack during the day is a way to let in a little fresh air. To me, it's an invitation.

8. If you don't answer when I knock, I try the door. Occasionally, I hit the jackpot and walk right in.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

My insurance agent sent me this..

Great information ppk and pete.

joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    And my wife says I'm nuts for leaving the TV on during the day...

Distinguished Member
    How about those dog doors? One of my pet peeves.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    It could be as simple as leaving a dog dish out on the porch and a leash on the tree. A "Beware of Dog" sign could do it too.

VIP Member
    yeah,
    at my moms house up north, I left a dog house there in the yard for when we are there with our dog(s), I can't see it hurting
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Thanks for the tips...it's always good to review such info.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Great info! Wish more people would think of these things.

My cousin is the WORST with the facebook thing. Her husband too. About once every hour or so, they have a post saying what they are doing and where, with a link to a google maps of where they are. Their "at home" posts also show this, so I can know where they live, and then how far away from home they are, and therefore a guarantee of at least how long the house will be vacant. I've talked to them about it and they won't listen!
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Having investigated hundreds of burglaries, I can say the most common oversight by a homeowner is an open door or window. A burglar who chances upon an open access will, almost always, take advantage of the ease of entry.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    Great info! Wish more people would think of these things.

My cousin is the WORST with the facebook thing. Her husband too. About once every hour or so, they have a post saying what they are doing and where, with a link to a google maps of where they are. Their "at home" posts also show this, so I can know where they live, and then how far away from home they are, and therefore a guarantee of at least how long the house will be vacant. I've talked to them about it and they won't listen!
    Relax, he'll learn... eventually. My extended family also happens to learn through the School of Hard Knocks.
    Kimber Pro TLE II (EDC)
    Bersa Thunder .380 (EDC)
    Sig Sauer P226
    Bushmaster XM15-E2S
    Winchester Model 70 .270

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    It could be as simple as leaving a dog dish out on the porch and a leash on the tree. A "Beware of Dog" sign could do it too.
    Don't forget to poop in the yard!
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    Having investigated hundreds of burglaries, I can say the most common oversight by a homeowner is an open door or window. A burglar who chances upon an open access will, almost always, take advantage of the ease of entry.
    Very very good point!!!!!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Also - remember to lock your cars and don't leave anything valuable in sight. Not a GPS and not even loose change.

I always secure my home before bed, before leaving, and waking up. I have timers on the lights that I set if I am leaving over night, and a sign near the front door that states: NEVER MIND THE DOG. BEWARE THE OWNER! USMC

Good points, on this thread. Having someone unwanted in your home or sanctuary is a scary feeling. I am paranoid about this, think everyone is watching me waiting for me to miss something before leaving or going to bed. Makes me think about it and really try hard to make sure my family and home are safe and secure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links