Best fence for home defense?

This is a discussion on Best fence for home defense? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It looks like the latest blizzards have taken out part of my chain link fence. Its about 4 feet high and has been pretty good ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best fence for home defense?

Best fence for home defense?

It looks like the latest blizzards have taken out part of my chain link fence. Its about 4 feet high and has been pretty good for keeping dogs in and people out.

My question is: what's the best fence for home defense?

I can think of two things:
    1. chain link fences prevent intruders from having concealment
    2. tall privacy fences could deter people from climbing over them, though its not impossible

Of course, the other way is true too - privacy fence gives you more privacy from neighbors. But let's just look at it from the home defense standpoint. Maybe there are some other types of fences I should look at too.

2. Remove Ads

Electrified barbed wire. I tried hopping one at the family farm and will never try it again...

If you are talking strategically then an eight foot tall reinforced chain link with concrete base barrier prevents animals and people from going under and in most cases over. HD post prevents people from pushing over the fence. This keeps them at bay without providing any concealment. You can now get chain link fence material in black, green or maybe other colors to blend into the background. Razor wire along the top is a bit overkill but you could ask the installers to twist and not to bend over the ends of the chain link at the top. Of course I'm being a little tongue and cheek but perhaps.....

Also, there is a lot of natural vegitation (depends on your climate) that is real nasty and avoiding contact is desirable. Some of it is quite attactive as well.
    For the stength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack. - R. Kipling

Romans 1:22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools [professing to be smart, they made simpletons of themselves].

Our sub backs up to a woods...I only have a 4' brown cyclone fence, but years ago transplanted a bunch of thorny weeds that started out close to the ground. Now it is impossible to walk through the area at all. I have no need to go back there, and passage through that area...anywhere within 8-10' from the back of my fence...is a painful hike. Even the kids in the area who sometimes play the woods stay away...it's like having my own "DMZ".
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I'll vote for the privacy fence, for the privacy and the security. I currently have a 4 ft chain link fence, but the house I'm moving into has a 6 ft. privacy fence, with a gate that opens from the inside only.
    If somebody gets in it will be much harder for them to get back out, especially after the motion detector lights turn on, and they have a 125 pound dog attached to a limb.
    If they try to get into the non attached garage as soon as the door opens a couple feet the alarm on my car goes off, giving me additional notice of an intruder.
    Although nobody has got in since Dad put up the fence 20 years ago, I'm still thinking of adding a few cameras, just for the extra security.
    The meter-reader already hates me
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member
    +1 one on the privacy fence. In general, fences make for good neighbors and BG's don't really care much either way. However a privacy fence makes it more difficult to scout you.

8' tall cinder block fence with smooth vertical surface and plenty of broken glass embedded in mortar at the top.

Homeowners associations may disapprove.

Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Privacy fence is the way I would go.

In West Texas you see privacy fences made of concrete cinder blocks topped with cement to fill in wholes at top and some times broken glass or other thing are placed in the cement to prevent someone coming over the top of fence.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    Privacy fence is the way I would go.

In West Texas you see privacy fences made of concrete cinder blocks topped with cement to fill in wholes at top and some times broken glass or other thing are placed in the cement to prevent someone coming over the top of fence.
    Wow... Concrete and broken glass.. I haven't seen those since I was a kid. All the reformatories for "bad" boys and girls had them in Brooklyn back in the 40's and early 50's.. Just seeing them kept me on the straight and narrow.

bosco

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    Wow... Concrete and broken glass.. I haven't seen those since I was a kid.
    In China, for example, this is a fairly popular method of dissuading illegal entry. 12ft tall stone walls topped by glass and electrified barbed-wire can work fairly well.

If you're building new, consider some of the features of old Roman and medieval style forts, fortresses and citadels. Though obviously you'll need to tone down some of the elements from a full-scale fortress design, the basic principles of layered defenses still apply, today.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

This ought to do ya.
    Attached Images

In Brazil at suburban areas the most comon are cinder block walls of about 8 feet high topped by glass or electrified wire. They works very well here altought a persistent buglar can put some carpet over the wall and jump it when i is topped with glass.

They are something like this:

but with better finishing.

I work in a small county and my Police Station has 8 feet fence with barbwire on top:

It works fairly well c'ause nobody wants to get in there normaly and our inmates area has a 18 feet wall topped by electrified barbwire around it to slow them down.

If you choose a fence buy a dog:

(This is Fergie, my 8 months old Rott)

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Take a look at the French Quarter of New Orleans, they have "Romeo Hooks" on the balconies. Decorative and functional.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post

If you choose a fence buy a dog:

(This is Fergie, my 8 months old Rott)
    Fergie has a sweeeeeeeeet face, but then again I have a huge soft spot for rotties.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links