Sleeping while armed - Practical Considerations for sleeping with your gun?

This is a discussion on Sleeping while armed - Practical Considerations for sleeping with your gun? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I live the way I do because of past life experiences,...

View Poll Results: While I Sleep, I Keep My Gun:

Voters
585. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under my pillow

33 5.64%
  • Somewhere on my bed/bed's platform

88 15.04%
  • Within view on furniture/a nighstsand adjacent to my bed where I can reach it

234 40.00%
  • Obscured from view in an open drawer I can reach from my bed

35 5.98%
  • Obscured from view under my bed but within reach

42 7.18%
  • Obscured from view in a holster lodged between the mattresses

24 4.10%
  • In a closed drawer I can reach from my bed

81 13.85%
  • Obscured from view in an open safe I can reach from bed

15 2.56%
  • Obscured from view in an open safe I must get up from bed to access

18 3.08%
  • Somewhere else in my bedroom (please post specifics)

36 6.15%
  • In a closed and locked safe somewhere else in the house

19 3.25%
  • Other (please post specifics)

33 5.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Sleeping while armed - Practical Considerations for sleeping with your gun?

I live the way I do because of past life experiences,

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by merischino View Post
    Hi there, I have run across some mention of sleeping with your gun in a number of different threads, and went looking for a thread specifically about this topic and did not find it. If I am repeating or misplacing this thread, apologies!

I'm new to guns and therefore wet behind the ears as they relate to just about any scenario. My vision for this thread is to collect practical thoughts about sleeping with your gun into one place. I am hoping it will not become a place for people to argue against or for the practice but that it will become a good place to train oneself in good procedure if you do. Or, a place to learn the practical considerations for why you may choose not to.

I am particularly interested in soliciting the feedback and recommendations of folks who actually do sleep with their guns on the thought processes (practical, not specific threat related) that led them to this decision. I'm also interested in hearing a practical discussion of what to do/what not to do if you are seriously thinking about sleeping with a gun.

Having a gun in a safe next to you does not meet this definition, however if you began with it out of a safe and in your hand/under your pillow/somewhere "on you" and ended up with it "in a safe next to you" that discussion and process does fit in with this request for information.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and advice!

-M
    I think your question is best answered with some exploration into why you want to sleep with your gun.

Specifically, under what context?

When I took a road trip to TN for a rifle class, I slept a lot in rest stops in my VW Golf. (Don't do this. Horrible...absolutely horrible) I kept my Glock in the holster in the normal place, and just went unconcious in the driver's seat.

When I stopped at a hotel, I showered, dressed as I normaly would, armed up and went to sleep in the bed, because it's my custom to sleep dressed and ready to go if I'm in a hotel.

At home...

Why are you going to sleep armed?

I ocasionally wake up at 6AM after dropping out on the couch at 10PM, having sat down and woken up 8 hours later covered in cat hair...but if you mean "go to bed carrying a gun" I need to know why you aren't going to address other means of static security instead of going right to firearms?

Do you have a sturdy door and good door frame?
    Hard to pick locks?
    An alarm?
    Shatter resistant windows with thorn bushes under them?
    A dog?
    Do you have a lock on your bedroom door?

All these things are layers that will enable you to sleep comfortably, and wake up in time to realize thing are going bad, grab the pants, the AR/shotgun and a cup of coffee, then call 911 as you get into an ambush position for the intruder so you can light them up with 5.56mm rifle or a shotgun.

So, again.

Why sleep armed when you can get around the issue?

I keep a pistol (not my carry) in a Fort Knox pistol box under the bed on my side at all times. If you're not familiar with these Boxes, they are extremely well made and have the Simplex 5 button mechanical lock, no batteries required. I have three boys at home aged 6 to 10, so secured storage is essential.

When the boys aren't home, I'll usually leave my EDC on the bedside table within reach. Occasionally, I'll take a nap with it in the holster but I "peace tie" it with a length of para-cord to my belt. I don't want it to come lose and get lost in the covers. But, I've never tried wearing it all night. That sounds uncomfortable.

Always carry, pants-on to pants-off, every where legal.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    I think your question is best answered with some exploration into why you want to sleep with your gun.

Specifically, under what context?

When I took a road trip to TN for a rifle class, I slept a lot in rest stops in my VW Golf. (Don't do this. Horrible...absolutely horrible) I kept my Glock in the holster in the normal place, and just went unconcious in the driver's seat.

When I stopped at a hotel, I showered, dressed as I normaly would, armed up and went to sleep in the bed, because it's my custom to sleep dressed and ready to go if I'm in a hotel.

At home...

Why are you going to sleep armed?

I ocasionally wake up at 6AM after dropping out on the couch at 10PM, having sat down and woken up 8 hours later covered in cat hair...but if you mean "go to bed carrying a gun" I need to know why you aren't going to address other means of static security instead of going right to firearms?

Do you have a sturdy door and good door frame?
    Hard to pick locks?
    An alarm?
    Shatter resistant windows with thorn bushes under them?
    A dog?
    Do you have a lock on your bedroom door?

All these things are layers that will enable you to sleep comfortably, and wake up in time to realize thing are going bad, grab the pants, the AR/shotgun and a cup of coffee, then call 911 as you get into an ambush position for the intruder so you can light them up with 5.56mm rifle or a shotgun.

So, again.

Why sleep armed when you can get around the issue?
    Home invasion! they got though 2 locked door and all most though a dead bolt door and would have if I didn't get my gun and stop them, they ran when they saw my 357 mag thank god i found it in time.

I have a Saiga-12 and 1911 under the bed, but an AR-15 within quick reach for something with more penetration and reach!

i have a holster mounted behind my nightstand. can reach it while laying down and no one can see it if there in my room.

I keep my EDC on the nightstand next to my bed where I can reach it !
    Better to have and not need then to need and not have!!!!
    EDC G22+Clips=SECURITY

mine is in the night stand cabinet, secured in a holster, which is screwed into the adjacent side of the cabinet.
    S&W M&P 9C
    RUGER LCP
    S&W 5906
    COLT DET. SPEC.
    S&W 686-6"
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck", Author un-known

Holster attacked to the side of my bed, I drop my arm and its in my hand.

Its a good set up for me right now since me and the wife dont have kids yet.
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

under pillow.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

My g/f isn't as comfortable around firearms as me so to address her comfort level I keep my handguns in a quick-access pistol safe inside my bedroom closet. Easily accessible and I haven't lost a night's sleep yet. We have adequate locks and early warning systems where I believe I would be granted enough time to prepare for univited visitors (unless they used an 870 with Hatton rounds on the front door and rushed the house). If I'm ever sleeping in the house while she's away, I'll keep my .45 in my nighstand organizer, within easy reach.
    I will never forget that I am an American, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    In the bedroom, close by within reach.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

I chose "other (please post specifics)".
    I have a MiniVault (by Gun Vault) on the floor next to me. It's not obscured.
    I leave it open at night.
    I actually only close it when I leave the house (because there is a loaded .38 in there at all times - I carry a .45 on my person).

Not only under my pillow, but I can't get to sleep if it's NOT there and I can feel it's comfortable lump. But it's not cocked and locked or even chambered.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Until I had my son, it was on the bedside table ready to go. Now that I have a kid that could potentially get to it, I have a digital safe on the night stand. No regular keys to fumble with in the dark, just punch in the code and it's ready to go. Two extra mags and a flashlight are in with the pistol. Because I and my wife are exceptionally light sleepers, I don't think having to manage the safe would cause too much delay. In the off chance somone did breach the house, I think I'd be up with the weapon out of the safe in plenty of time.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Links