Sleeping while armed - Practical Considerations for sleeping with your gun? - Page 7

Sleeping while armed - Practical Considerations for sleeping with your gun?

This is a discussion on Sleeping while armed - Practical Considerations for sleeping with your gun? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My handgun (condition 1 or 2, alternated each night) is on my nightstand next to the bed and under a magazine. My backup handgun, cabinet ...

View Poll Results: While I Sleep, I Keep My Gun:

Voters
585. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under my pillow

33 5.64%
  • Somewhere on my bed/bed's platform

88 15.04%
  • Within view on furniture/a nighstsand adjacent to my bed where I can reach it

234 40.00%
  • Obscured from view in an open drawer I can reach from my bed

35 5.98%
  • Obscured from view under my bed but within reach

42 7.18%
  • Obscured from view in a holster lodged between the mattresses

24 4.10%
  • In a closed drawer I can reach from my bed

81 13.85%
  • Obscured from view in an open safe I can reach from bed

15 2.56%
  • Obscured from view in an open safe I must get up from bed to access

18 3.08%
  • Somewhere else in my bedroom (please post specifics)

36 6.15%
  • In a closed and locked safe somewhere else in the house

19 3.25%
  • Other (please post specifics)

33 5.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Sleeping while armed - Practical Considerations for sleeping with your gun?

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    My handgun (condition 1 or 2, alternated each night) is on my nightstand next to the bed and under a magazine. My backup handgun, cabinet key, and other accessories are in my fannypack holster on the floor under the bed. Shotgun (condition 3 or 4, alternated each night) is on the floor beside he wall next to my bed and covered with old clothes to hide it. And, my rifle (condition 3) is in the cabinet under lock and key.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    And, my rifle (condition 3) is in the cabinet under lock and key.
    ok its late, I need to go to bed. I read that as "my WIFE" not "my RIFLE"!

I think I got my contraption figured out, I mounted my xd gear holster to the back of my dresser which is facing out right next to my bed side so that my 4" service 9mm XD is within arms reach next task is to find a way to mount my Express 870 12ga to my bedside somehow.

Inside my night stand, in the corner, and on my TV/stereo table is close enough. Some people can and indeed do shoot instinctively and in their sleep, especially combat veterans, cops, and people who do a lot of shooting. That is why our NRA CCW instructor told us that he deliberately kept his bedroom gun unloaded at home, with the magazine nearby. He has kids and a spouse inside his house and does not want to be too quick on the trigger while scared, startled and sleepy.

My handgun (condition 1 or 2, alternated each night) is on my nightstand next to the bed and under a magazine.
    Why alternate? Seems like a formula for disaster contrary to every rule of conditioning and muscle memory I know of. I have the same set up on my HD shot gun and AR as well as the 10/22 I often practice with, to have as close to the same manual of arms as possible. If it hits the fan I want to be dead certain not unsure if there is one in the chamber safety on or safety off. There are people dead because they were uncertain and pulled the trigger on an empty chamber or with the safety on.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

other: often instead of the drawer by the bed, or the open safe under the bed, I'll actually strap on an ankle holster. I would like a headboard holster... but worry how close that is to my hand, should I have a vivid dream.

Wink Hmmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by tellico View Post
    other: often instead of the drawer by the bed, or the open safe under the bed, I'll actually strap on an ankle holster. I would like a headboard holster... but worry how close that is to my hand, should I have a vivid dream.
    Yeah, I have had some VERY vivid dreams in my time and that is the main reason that although I do sleep with a gun (either a 1911 or an H&K 9mm) under my pillow, it's always in condition three (Hammer down on an empty chamber). The theory is that I have enough layers to my household detection systems that I'll have time to come into full consciousness and take the necessary actions to deal with the problem. I also keep a nice well fitting set of brass knuckles next to my bed in case I need them as well.

I learned to get those the hard way when a bad guy crawled in through my window back in 1996 and I didn't have TIME to get my Glock M30 in condition 3 from the nightstand, before I had to engage.

My layers still worked though. My alarm went off as he ripped thru the screens. I sat up in bed wearing my CPAP mask for my sleep apnea so I looked like Maverick in Top Gun and I came eyeball to eyeball with him. He kept coming. I guess he'd only encountered SHEEP, who cowered. I must have been his first SHEEPDOG experience. I tried to make it memorable.

I knocked him back out thru the window and he staggered into the dark before I could get properly armed. The cops and their dogs tracked him for a block (including thru an 8 foot thick hedge of Bouganvillea Plants. Think pretty flowers super sharp thorns the size of your thumb. After the hedge they found a huge pool of blood where he'd paused to rest a moment and just bleed. They lost the trail at a major cross street where he must have had wheels waiting. They put out a BOLO to all the area clinics and ER's for a shredded human (remember that thorny hedge) but nothing ever turned up. For my trouble that night I got a busted up fist. Hence the "knucks."
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by Riana View Post
    I frequently fall asleep on the couch with it holstered. When I retire for the evening, though, my J-frame goes into a lock box under the bed. With a sleep-walking child in the house, it's the safest place for it.
    Exactly. I keep mine up high and mag out. Got to keep it away from little hands.
    "When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
    scabbard." -General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Handgun holster mounted on bed frame with flashlight and knife attached. SHTF/BUG bag with other handguns in it beside bed. AR's and shotty within reach from bed. Flashlights for use with handguns, long guns have lights on them.

Handguns are all ready to rock. Long guns are cruiser ready, off safe.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

still

I have my XD 9mm mounted behind my dresser at my arms reach in case of an intruder and out of arms reach of my 2.5 yr old boy. Shotgun I don't know how I am going to mount it, I'm going to need some suggestions since I have a cheapy metal bed frame and can't let it sit out with the kiddo around but want to mount it within my reach but out of site of anyone who comes in the room and out of reach of the kiddo.

If I decide to use a handgun for the night, it's in the closed drawer. The shotgun, beside me where it's easily accessed.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

My Springer 1911 is on the nightstand, a few inches from my hand, night sights night sights visible in the dark so I can index the gun easily and quickly ...
    "Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." Claude Bastiat

"Neatness counts, but bullets often count more." Elvis Cole, World's Greatest Detective.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    My handgun (condition 1 or 2, alternated each night) is on my nightstand next to the bed and under a magazine. My backup handgun, cabinet key, and other accessories are in my fannypack holster on the floor under the bed. Shotgun (condition 3 or 4, alternated each night) is on the floor beside he wall next to my bed and covered with old clothes to hide it. And, my rifle (condition 3) is in the cabinet under lock and key.
    Correction:"Shotgun (condition 3 or 1, alternated each night)"/Sorry for the typo. I just didn't caught the goof-up until now.

In a closed drawer within reach of the bed, but out of the reach of my toddler daughter. I'm quite tall with a very long reach, so I keep it in a high drawer that I can still reach. Before my daughter could walk and was in her "big girl" bed, I kept it within view on the nightstand.

In a closed (obscured) drawer in the night stand. A shot gun under the edge of the bed (obscured). Hand guns in pretty much every room (hidden) I have a .45 auto sitting here on my computer desk(not always just laying there). Paranoid am I? I have been the victim of armed home invasion, they gave up very quickly. It was that or be shot. They picked the wrong victim.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Links