Sleeping while armed - Practical Considerations for sleeping with your gun? - Page 8

Sleeping while armed - Practical Considerations for sleeping with your gun?

This is a discussion on Sleeping while armed - Practical Considerations for sleeping with your gun? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Ram Rod Well......do your research or whatever. I sleep with my Glock under my pillow. Most of the time, I have a ...

View Poll Results: While I Sleep, I Keep My Gun:

Voters
585. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under my pillow

33 5.64%
  • Somewhere on my bed/bed's platform

88 15.04%
  • Within view on furniture/a nighstsand adjacent to my bed where I can reach it

234 40.00%
  • Obscured from view in an open drawer I can reach from my bed

35 5.98%
  • Obscured from view under my bed but within reach

42 7.18%
  • Obscured from view in a holster lodged between the mattresses

24 4.10%
  • In a closed drawer I can reach from my bed

81 13.85%
  • Obscured from view in an open safe I can reach from bed

15 2.56%
  • Obscured from view in an open safe I must get up from bed to access

18 3.08%
  • Somewhere else in my bedroom (please post specifics)

36 6.15%
  • In a closed and locked safe somewhere else in the house

19 3.25%
  • Other (please post specifics)

33 5.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Sleeping while armed - Practical Considerations for sleeping with your gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Well......do your research or whatever. I sleep with my Glock under my pillow. Most of the time, I have a grip on it. It took the place of my previous 1911A1. The Glock's more comfortable under the pillow in my opinion, and there's been a pistol under my pillow for a long time. How do I keep myself from blowing myself away while I'm in purgatory? Simple...I don't want to off myself. You'd figure it out if you were where I am, but I don't figure you ever will be.
    Two 1911s under the pillow one on the left and one on the right. I know where your at, Because Im there myself.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Well, technically not ON my bed, but extremely close. I don't have a bedframe/headboard or anything like that.
    Between my bed and the wall is my hunting rifle case with my 30-30 in it (so if things REALLY go south...lol) and on top of that is a phone book or something to make a flat spot and that is where my bed gun is. It's just slightly above and to the right of my pillow, but also out of sight unless you are in the bed.
    I also have a small flashlight up there, a few other items and usually throw my ipod up there too - but they are all kept towards the center of the bed away from the gun. I sleep with my phone actually in the bed (someday I might get brain cancer or something from those electornic waves....)

In the other room my .22 and Maglight are mounted on the wall for varmit huntin (livestock protection)

None of my kids have opposable thumbs ;)

Angry got sig?

I normally sleep with sig p250 40cal on my chest or pillow. I come from a family of gun lovers so there my first love.

Quote Originally Posted by merischino View Post
    Hi there, I have run across some mention of sleeping with your gun in a number of different threads, and went looking for a thread specifically about this topic and did not find it. If I am repeating or misplacing this thread, apologies!

I'm new to guns and therefore wet behind the ears as they relate to just about any scenario. My vision for this thread is to collect practical thoughts about sleeping with your gun into one place. I am hoping it will not become a place for people to argue against or for the practice but that it will become a good place to train oneself in good procedure if you do. Or, a place to learn the practical considerations for why you may choose not to.

I am particularly interested in soliciting the feedback and recommendations of folks who actually do sleep with their guns on the thought processes (practical, not specific threat related) that led them to this decision. I'm also interested in hearing a practical discussion of what to do/what not to do if you are seriously thinking about sleeping with a gun.

Having a gun in a safe next to you does not meet this definition, however if you began with it out of a safe and in your hand/under your pillow/somewhere "on you" and ended up with it "in a safe next to you" that discussion and process does fit in with this request for information.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and advice!

-M
    Due to the style of heater in my bedroom, there is a 3-4in space between my bed and the wall on the right side (relative while laying down). My SpringfieldXD simply rests in this space. No safes, no locks, loaded and round in the chamber. the children can't get to it without waking me up. Even if they creep into my bed, they're on the other side from my gun. When I get up in the morning I set the gun on the highest shelf in my closet until I'm ready to put it on.

Glock 22 on my night stand with 2 extra mags and a pump shotgun leaning against the wall between the bed and night stand. I also have my three dogs in the bedroom as an early warning system.

Confucius say... "Man who sleeps with gun in hand, makes his own nightmare."

Alabama Man Sleeps With Gun, Shoots Himself.(2009) I'm SO surprised!

"Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Two 1911s under the pillow one on the left and one on the right. I know where your at, Because Im there myself.
    They have moved out from under the pillow, due to the request of my wife, now one is on the night stand the other on the head board.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Gun Rug

I keep a pistol in a gun rug ( triangle shaped, leather, fleece lined, zippered ).
    I have it right in bed, by my side, where I can just reach out and put my hand on it.
    I keep it partially zipped so all I have to do is reach in and pull the gun out.
    Just to make sure I don't try to operate the gun in my sleep, I keep the chamber empty, safety on and the magazine is in the gun but not tapped.
    If I tried to fire it in my sleep I'd have to perform four separate actions before the gun would fire.
    But, if I wake up and need it I figure I could tap the magazine, rack the slide and go off safety in less than 2 seconds.
    Keeping the gun right in bed makes it about as accessible as under the pillow.
    It's very accessible in the gun rug, I can almost sleep with my hand on the grip.
    Keeping it in the case keeps me from wondering where the heck it is in the morning because it doesn't move.
    In the case, no worries about gun oil or anything.
    The gun rug is oversized so it holds a small flashlight and cell phone as well.
    I don't have to worry abouit kids but if I did I'm guessing a v-line gun safe would be the place for the gun when I'm not sleeping if it's not IWB.
    Also, I haven't heard anything about lasers but the absolutely best thing you can do if you're sleeping with a HD gun is have a laser on it.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Other - I keep my loaded and chambered pistol and a spare mag in a Gunvault MV500 in the top drawer of my nightstand.

My loaded and chambered EDC (in holster) along with my 2 mag holder are at the end of the bed in my sliding door closet, on top of a flat pile of slacks at about 6' 5".
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Obscured from view attached to the bed frame with a magnet. No children in the home.
    "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Lewis

Ive always got a handgun in the headboard, you cant see it but i can reach it without having to open my eyes. I also keep a rifle in the space between the wall and the side of the headboard. Both are always loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by gobbagondi View Post
    I normally sleep with sig p250 40cal on my chest or pillow. I come from a family of gun lovers so there my first love.
    I took a nap like that yesterday, gun on my chest. But the chamber was empty and magazine was removed.

This always made the most sense to me: If there are other people in the house, it's best to have a system where you have to consciously go through a series of steps to arm yourself to avoid accidentally shooting someone while you are half asleep. Too many incidents of family members being shot due to misidentification.

I keep my XD on the nightstand in 'carry condition' next to a flashlight. I've never had an issue answering my pistol instead of my phone as I'm in the habit of screening my calls anyway. I don't answer the phone until I can clearly see the display and identify who it is.

Quote Originally Posted by subcool20 View Post
    . Plus we also have a dog that barks at EVERYTHING giving me plenty of time to prepare.
    This comment might be better in a diff post but I think everyone should own a dog for a heads-up security alarm. A door or window alarm going off AFTER a break in is too late.
    I agree about having a dog, but disagree about having one that barks at EVERYTHING...I think that would lead to the habit of sleeping through the 'false alarm'; my dog barks at NOTHING unless he thinks someone's up to something. Only once has he barked at night where it wasn't important, and I think there was a cat on the windowsill outside the bedroom. One other time he barked when someone knocked on the door and rattled the knob. Right afterward, I heard the neighbor talking to them, so I think they got the wrong apartment.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

A_D
    My XDm is on my night stand next to my bed. We have no kids yet, so I feel comfortable with our set up. I'm looking into a less visible location without sacrificing present accessibility, though. I really don't want to have to fumble with a drawer, lock, or a safe. I do, however, worry about a stealthy intruder spotting my pistol before I spot him.
    "The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."

-Mark Twain

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Links