Sleeping while armed - Practical Considerations for sleeping with your gun? - Page 9

Sleeping while armed - Practical Considerations for sleeping with your gun?

This is a discussion on Sleeping while armed - Practical Considerations for sleeping with your gun? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Except when in a combat situation I don't know that I have ever felt threatened enough to sleep with my gun. I have catnapped while ...

View Poll Results: While I Sleep, I Keep My Gun:

Voters
585. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under my pillow

33 5.64%
  • Somewhere on my bed/bed's platform

88 15.04%
  • Within view on furniture/a nighstsand adjacent to my bed where I can reach it

234 40.00%
  • Obscured from view in an open drawer I can reach from my bed

35 5.98%
  • Obscured from view under my bed but within reach

42 7.18%
  • Obscured from view in a holster lodged between the mattresses

24 4.10%
  • In a closed drawer I can reach from my bed

81 13.85%
  • Obscured from view in an open safe I can reach from bed

15 2.56%
  • Obscured from view in an open safe I must get up from bed to access

18 3.08%
  • Somewhere else in my bedroom (please post specifics)

36 6.15%
  • In a closed and locked safe somewhere else in the house

19 3.25%
  • Other (please post specifics)

33 5.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Sleeping while armed - Practical Considerations for sleeping with your gun?

VIP Member
    Except when in a combat situation I don't know that I have ever felt threatened enough to sleep with my gun. I have catnapped while having my rifle slung or while wearing a handgun but other than that the firearm is placed next to the bed.

I cannot even imagine sleeping with a loaded firearm in my hand, on my chest or under the pillow. I move around to much at night, wake up to a cat sitting on my head or a kid crawling in bed with us. On/in the nightstand is close enough.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Another vote for the dog at the bedside. A nice Doberman would be a great asset and companion.

Sent via Mental Power

p95 on bedside stand 5 in from me and the 12 ga leaning against the wall right next to it. both in reach. have my pitbull to warn me if anyone is entering the house so dont keep it under the pillow
    ruger91

NRA member

OD*
    I use a Safepacker in the same manner as in this picture (not my photo).

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    I have one of those huge king sized waterbeds from the 70's with the bookcase headboard. I keep the flashlight, cellphone and extra magazine on the headboard. I mounted a cheap Uncle Mikes nylon holster to the wooden rail of the bed on the wall side out of sight (youngins grown). Easy access and It's not going to be accidentally grabbed reaching for the TV's remote control.
    Easy for us with a water bed. There are nice sturdy corners. I have a holster in that corner with a gun in it. No little kids in the house so nothing to worry about there.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

I have accidentally fallen asleep with mine IWB a couple times - freaks my husband out. I've asked why he didn't wake me or at least gently pulled it out of holster but I get no good answer.

Typically, when I go to bed, it goes in the safe near my husband's side of the bed. I have considered attaching something to the back of my nightstand or into the nightstand drawer but haven't yet. My Rottweiler sleeps near my bedroom, right by the front door though (and only a few feet from the back door) so I do count on her to give me the time I need to get to the safe.

I left mine on the nightstand for a while til I heard on the news of home invasions in my area. I also read a post where a lady woke up with the BG in her room. Her hubby was snoring away next to her. Mine is now under the pillow. I sleep on my side or stomach. It's an easy reach , flip off the safety and I am ready to rock. I don't go to bed til my teenagers are home. I have big dog outside and a yapper inside. They only bark when something I need to look at is going on. Only request from the wife was to make sure it was pointed at the wall while under my pillow. That position gives me the same grip motion as pulling it from my iwb. 90 lumen flashlight is on the nightstand. Wife has cellphone on hers.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

VIP Member
    I don't need a gun by the bed.
    The little guy runs night manuevers around the perimiter.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by velo99 View Post
    I left mine on the nightstand for a while til I heard on the news of home invasions in my area. I also read a post where a lady woke up with the BG in her room. Her hubby was snoring away next to her. Mine is now under the pillow. I sleep on my side or stomach. It's an easy reach , flip off the safety and I am ready to rock. I don't go to bed til my teenagers are home. I have big dog outside and a yapper inside. They only bark when something I need to look at is going on. Only request from the wife was to make sure it was pointed at the wall while under my pillow. That position gives me the same grip motion as pulling it from my iwb. 90 lumen flashlight is on the nightstand. Wife has cellphone on hers.
    I just can't see doing this... my pillows are never in the same position in the morning as they were at night, but I can reach the nightstand faster than I can fish around under the pillows.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Links