Home Security/Defense Strategy

This is a discussion on Home Security/Defense Strategy within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So i'm going to propose the following home defense strategy to my wife this week.. First home, and tax return $$.. Gun Vault GV2000 to ...

Thread: Home Security/Defense Strategy

Home Security/Defense Strategy

So i'm going to propose the following home defense strategy to my wife this week.. First home, and tax return $$..

Gun Vault GV2000 to house my XD40 w/ spare mag(at night), as well as 1-2ea 10/12rnd mags for a Saiga-12 (12 gauge semi-auto shotgun).

I've been looking at numerous setups for home defense shotguns, and i'm liking everything I read about the Saiga-12. Aside from the reported stellar reliability, one of the big reasons that I like this particular weapon is the ability to go from unloaded to loaded in seconds. I could store one or two loaded mags in the gunvault next to the bed, or in the night stand, and leave the unloaded shotgun in the closet. This way the ammo is locked away from the weapon and safety is kept when nieces and nephews come around.

I'm looking for your thoughts on this setup. Not specifically for a product review of the Saiga-12, but a critique on the overall idea of locking the mags up with quick access to me/wife via the gunvault, and the unloaded Saiga-12 in the closet or where ever it gets stored.

In this home security/defense plan, I will also install motion lights around the house and install the Master Strike to every door leading into the house.

What do you guys think? I should be able to accomplish all of this for just over/around $1,000. Pretty good for setting up a line of defense IMO.

Gun Vault GV2000

Saiga-12

Similar build to how i'd build my Saiga-12(minus the stupid huge mag, and scope. I'd get a superior light though):

Master Strike
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

2. Remove Ads

AzB
    Sounds like a great start. I like that StrikeMaster. I've used larger high security strikes for years, but that one looks indestructable.

Next step is a perimeter alarm and/or a dog.

Az

Why not just leave the mag in the gun and remove it when the kids come over? IMHO unloaded and/or locked guns make good clubs.

The master strike and lights sound good.
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

If a BG tries to kick our door a few times, I have no doubt that our Golden Retriever will go nuts. That will give me a good indication to grab a firearm.

If the price of the Saiga-12 is too much to my wife, i'll pick up a decent shotgun in the $300 range and call it good. We could put the shotgun out of kid reach when they're over.
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

Links