In Reality- Long guns for home defense

This is a discussion on In Reality- Long guns for home defense within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by BugDude Clearing the house naked with either a pistol or a shotgun and you're not the only one taking a peek. That ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: In Reality- Long guns for home defense

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Clearing the house naked with either a pistol or a shotgun and you're not the only one taking a peek. That could be a tactical advantage....distraction. The BG would be so shocked to see a naked guy with any number of weapons pointed at him that he may just scream and run.
    Unlikely to distract the BG. Convicts see naked men all the time. What it will do or I should say did to me is make me feel vulnerable. Something about my pride & joy swinging free to get snagged or hooked on anything.

As I have been known to get aroused in combat it may make the BG fight harder for fear of what he imagines I may do if I win
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

2. Remove Ads

It sounds like home defense is on everyone's mind and it should be. However, home defense is personal, just like what you carry. For me, my initial response will be to draw attention to the home, home alarm will already be blaring, set vehicle alarm off (lights and sounds), ensure family secure, and calmly as possible go to work, get the job done while I wait on Leo...Pistol, shot gun, use what you are comfortable with, but keep it simple....nuff said.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

I'm not really into the concept of "Clearing" the house.

As I see it there are two scenarios.

1. I hear a bump in the night and go to investigate (low probability anyone is IN the house yet). In such a case I would take the Glock and a flashlight.

2. I hear a bump in the house and am pretty sure that there is someone in the house. In that case I have the wife call 911 while I cover the bedroom door with a shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Unlikely to distract the BG. Convicts see naked men all the time. What it will do or I should say did to me is make me feel vulnerable. Something about my pride & joy swinging free to get snagged or hooked on anything.

As I have been known to get aroused in combat it may make the BG fight harder for fear of what he imagines I may do if I win
    OH MY GOD that was too much information

Quote Originally Posted by Maudite View Post
    OH MY GOD that was too much information
    <-- All of a sudden this little icon seems wildly inappropriate.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I use a mod MP-5 A-2 with semi auto only (hince the mod) with a surefire forearm light attached to it. If I can't defend myself with 30 rounds of 9mm hollow points, I have real issues and the twice a month I spend at the range plus the countless hours on the Fort Bragg ranges have gone to waste. And if all else fails I have my Glock 23 with taclight and lasermax. My livin girlfriend uses my 12 ga 870 with a mod M-4 style stock.

Sorry no catch quotes.

Both. I grab the pistol to go investigate and protect the boy upstairs. I hand the Mossberg 12-ga to the wife. A pistol is better for clearing the house, the shotgun is probably the best weapon to have if you are hiding and waiting for someone to come through the door.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

12 gauge Mossy loaded with 00buck magnum followed by the Glock 22.
    The words can't and impossible are honey only to lips of losers. "Keith Matt(Me)"

Ruger KP95
    Glock 22/ PT145/ Pardner Pump Tactical/ Century AK-74

While I see long guns are many people's first option as a home defense weapon, I would first reach for one of my trusted .45s - or 9mm as a second option. This would be an immediate reaction to a "bump in the night". All handguns are easily accessible from my bed and can be brought to bear very quickly. That having been said, if timing allowed, I would absolutely grab my 12gauge from its (hidden but unsecure) storage, remove the trigger lock and obtain a good defensive position in my bedroom. I'm not well trained with a shotgun and am far more at home sweeping the house with a handgun. But if it comes to a stationery position and spraying towards a known intruder, sure a Mossberg or Remington will be far more effective.
    I will never forget that I am an American, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.

VIP Member
    In response, here is part of a post I wrote about two years ago:

So last night my wife and I went to bed about 11 pm (kids are grown and gone) so it's just the two of us. Let me pause here and say that I've always slept with a handgun and flashlight within easy reach. Since reading this forum I've added HD shotgun and SureFire light to my bedside stuff. So last night the house had been properly locked, my wife has already fallen asleep, though I'm still awake. Suddenly I hear a noise from somewhere in the front door/den area, which is sort of the middle of our H-shaped floor plan. It was a repetitive noise, like tap-pop-pop-tap-tap-tap. We have three cats that allow us to live with them, and I'm thinking that one of them is playing with something and hasn't settled down for the night. I didn't hear the noise anymore, but I decided to ease up in the bed, look around our darkened room and count cats. I saw three, and thought uh-oh, all the cats are in here with us, so it couldn't be a cat playing somewhere. In fact I could tell one cat was looking toward the den.

So I very quietly ease up in bed, reach for my Benelli M2 and Surefire and lay there listening for any more noises. I can't tell ya'll the sense of security I had while holding a good shotgun and good flashlight. I had those two due to this forum planting ideas in my head and I was thankful for them. Nothing else I had would have felt better.....no other pistol or rifle. I nudged my wife awake, ssshh'd her, and whispered for her to help me listen. We laid motionless, quiet, and in the dark for about 20 minutes waiting to hear any more noises. If someone was around I wanted to know pretty much where they were, and I didn't want them to know that I was wide awake.....just yet. While waiting I remember wishing I had a light switch next to my bed that would turn on all the house lights at one time, excluding the light in our bedroom. Anyway after waiting and trying to identify the odd noise which we didn't hear anymore, I got up and carefully checked the house out and as expected nothing was out of place at all. I don't know what it was, I wasn't dreaming, and the house doesn't creak. I even wondered if the owl was back in our fireplace flapping his wings, but nope on the owl. Maybe a critter scratching at or bumping the front door? It really sounded like someone trying out one of our exterior locked doors while shaking it heavily. No evidence of anything amiss this morning either.

I'm sharing this story about an unidentified night noise to let you know that under a little pressure I felt comfortable having a HD shotgun and SureFire light right by me that I could easily retrieve without hardly moving, making a noise or turning on any lights. So thanks for the previous ideas and advice posted here.......it all worked fine and wound up being a good exercise
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Great topic.

When I investigate a bump in the night, I grab my glock30. I don't have a flashlight, nightsights or a laser. I do have a storage facility behind my house that keeps a nice ambient glow at all hours though. There are a couple dark spots in the home, but I'm comfortable being able to distinguish an occupied dark blur from a non-occupied dark blur. But it still means I would need to turn on lights for target identification, which is a major deficiency in my preparedness.

I have better options for home defense, I have a 12 gauge and an M4 with a forward flashlight. Both are locked up, keys hard to get at, and unloaded. I would probably need a good 20 seconds of non-threatening time to prepare either for use.

Anyhow, I need to re-evaluate my plan. Thanks for the post.
    Crime should be outlawed.

I have no children in my home,I keep a Mossberg 930 w/00 buck leaned against the wall by the headboard,An AR15 w/30 round mag slung over hooks inside the closet,and my Colt 1911 on the nightstand,and 2 flashlights on the nightstand,I also keep the oven overhead light on so I have the hallway backlit
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

+1 on using a handgun for investigating a bump in the night. But, by all means it is not the only tool I have in my tool box. Situation also dictates the tool I use. If I was in New Orleans a day or two after Katrina, I'd probably opt for a long gun, most likely an AR-15.

Also, +1 on footwear and clothing. I sleep in boxers only. Whenever I get out of bed, I slip on shorts and a pair of deck shoe's that I use as slippers.

Quote Originally Posted by FknRa View Post
    Seeing as I sleep naked most ranges won't let me practice in my bedclothes.
    Really can not convey strongly enough how important putting on pants is. From personal experience I can assure you that being naked puts you are a serious disadvantage in a confrontation. You of course can wait until you learn that lesson your self I'll be here to tell you I told you so.
    It takes very little effort to get into the habit of pulling on pants as you get out of bed.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

+1 Good post #40 ppkheat!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links