In Reality- Long guns for home defense - Page 5

In Reality- Long guns for home defense

This is a discussion on In Reality- Long guns for home defense within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by nedrgr21 Tie a house key to a glow stick and throw it out the window for the cops to retrieve - if ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: In Reality- Long guns for home defense

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Tie a house key to a glow stick and throw it out the window for the cops to retrieve - if the BG is already inside. Tell 911 about it.
    My dog fetches to well, wouldn't work.
    ARMY INFANTRY 11c

What use is an unloaded gun? --Tony Soprano

"A ___ is better than the ___ you left at/ in the ____" -- My answer to 99% of the ?'s on here

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Good plan. I am guessing by calvary you mean sheriff or police. What is the plan once they arrive. Do open the door for them? If so, with or without a firearm in your hand. Or, do you let them break windows and bust the door down?
    Well I assume that I will be on the phone with 911 the whole time.

I will explain to the 911 operator that anyone who comes through the master bedroom door is going to get shot, and to please tell me when the police enter my house.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Well I assume that I will be on the phone with 911 the whole time.

I will explain to the 911 operator that anyone who comes through the master bedroom door is going to get shot, and to please tell me when the police enter my house.
    I was actually thinking more about the front door to the house. I suppose it would be mostly covered by home owner's insurance.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    I was actually thinking more about the front door to the house. I suppose it would be mostly covered by home owner's insurance.
    I am not worried about damge to my house, I am only worried about protecting my family. I can fix the door, bullet holes in a wall, remove a carpet to get rid of a bloodstain, heck I can even move if I need too.

My point is that I can replace/repair everything that is in my house except for my family and my family is the only thing that I am concerened about in the scenairo
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    My long guns (Mossberg 590 12-ga. and Rock River Arms LAR-15 5.56) are next in line for home defense use after my main home defense pistol (H&K USP .40) and backup home defense pistol (S&W Model 457 .45). I would only prefer long guns if I am already barricaded in my room. They are not as practical for going around corners as handguns. Again, it is my preference and my personal opinions and it's just what I feel works for me.

If LEO's are on the way I suggest NOT clearing the house, as a matter of fact...I am against it period, LEO might be chasing BG, BG breaks your window to get in your place, dodging LEO. Then here you come doing a clearing as LEO is also doing a clearing of your house. Not good. BANG!!! BANG!!! FRIENDLY, FRIENDLY, FRIENDLY!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 45tek View Post
    If LEO's are on the way I suggest NOT clearing the house, as a matter of fact...I am against it period, LEO might be chasing BG, BG breaks your window to get in your place, dodging LEO. Then here you come doing a clearing as LEO is also doing a clearing of your house. Not good. BANG!!! BANG!!! FRIENDLY, FRIENDLY, FRIENDLY!!!!
    Me too. I wouldn't do it. But if I have loved ones, I will only go as far as getting them into the saferoom.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Pistols are easy to secure, and with a child in the house, is preferable for my family. This really is a comfort issue though. If you are comfortable with it, then rock it! I will say this though.... after hearing a shotgun rack, any BG with half a bit of sense to him will be moving as fast as he can in the opposite direction.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    Lack of mindset and training cannot be overcome with any amount of equipment.- George
    I agree completely. That's just how it is, and the laws of the universe shall prevail. This quote alone quantifies what I've been portraying in a lot of threads these days. I just simply couldn't explain it as well and used too many words to convey. Thanks for digging me out of a hole.

I highly doubt I would use my AKs for HD unless somehow I needed it to fend off a gang outside or something. The handguns and shotties seem to work best inside.

Well I guess the AK could be good if a BG is hiding behind a wall or something.

Quote Originally Posted by bpang1 View Post
    I highly doubt I would use my AKs for HD unless somehow I needed it to fend off a gang outside or something. The handguns and shotties seem to work best inside.

Well I guess the AK could be good if a BG is hiding behind a wall or something.
    Handguns and shotguns too are much more legally defensible in a courtroom if you gotta use them for home defense. A jury or judge might percieve as military style rifle like your AK and my AR as a little too excessive. Unfortunately, the courts make their determination based also on perception and personal bias. Just like you, I would use the rifle as the SHTF gun for mass attacks. It is much easier to explain for use in this kind of situation. And because of its use in that situation , I have massive amounts of ammunition and magazines as well as replacement parts for my semiautomatic rifle.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMyRight2 View Post
    Lets go extreme and say your pinned in the house by an armed group set up outside or something of that nature. Hand guns and shotties might not be your best option in that scenario.
    What life style do you live that might have this happen to you?
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    What life style do you live that might have this happen to you?

Perhaps he lives near the Mexican border.

My apartment is only 500 square feet, and the living room acts as a bedroom for me, the wife, and the baby. with a tiny entry way from the front door.

Current plan is that the wife gets the pistol and goes for the baby, and I go for the shotgun. It is larger, more effective if there are more people, and in reality a gun barrel shoved into a man's chest or throat is not going to be ignored by most. Given the ranges, the shotgun gives me something to keep an attacker at bay physically, far better than a pistol would.

Also yes all weapons are out of baby grabbing abilities. We have a digital lock box for the pistols, and the long guns are just inside another doorway, that is completely blocked off from baby access.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

#1. Big black 1911 sloppy-slide Colt .45, holstered and hidden inside
    night stand, two spare magazines on web belt with holster.

#2. Hi-Point 9mm pistol, holstered and hidden on side of TV/stereo table
    nearby, one spare magazine in holster.

#3. Mossburg 500 12 guage shotgun in case, propped in corner next to night
    stand at the head of the bed, spare shells in elastic stock strap.

Note: This is a typical three-bedroom 1956 brick ranch house [without a basement], located in a typical nice white polite civilized midwestern suburbanite plat, not inhabited by kids, guests, visitors, girlfriends or a spouse.

Roll off and out of bed to hit the carpet and open the nightstand while laying and hiding on the bedroom floor, using waterbed and dresser for cover. Or, what the hell, just grab the shotgun and start spraying the hallway. Oh, let's just keep this a secret between us and not tell anyone else, okay? Yes, a scary scenario: After shooting into the hallway, silence and darkness return. You and I might be tempted to turn on a light and then go see how good we did, maybe even wondering where the home invaders hid. Did we get them all? Did they run outside? Are they playing possum on the floor or hiding in a doorway and waiting. Curiosity killed the cat. I must consider and remember this.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links