In Reality- Long guns for home defense

This is a discussion on In Reality- Long guns for home defense within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This installment of “In Reality” will focus on long guns for home defense. In my opinion, home defense comes down to three types of situations: ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: In Reality- Long guns for home defense

This installment of “In Reality” will focus on long guns for home defense.

In my opinion, home defense comes down to three types of situations:

* Break in during hours of darkness, while you are in bed.
    * Break in during hours of light, while you are awake.
    * The end of the world as we know it and you are trying to protect your family and property.

Even in states that allow for liberal concealed carry, most residents will tell you that even though they carry a concealed pistol, they have a shotgun or rifle for home defense. Most people will never carry a long gun outside of their home or the range.

Over the last few months, I have done a few polls on different forums, some of you reading this may have participated. Basically the question was “If at 3 AM this morning you heard someone breaking into your house, what would be the first firearm that you would be able to access”. Between all the forums, the average hovered around 75%-80% handgun. The response did not surprise me. Here are some reasons why-

* Handguns are easier to store in a safe manner to prevent access by minors and other unauthorized people.
    * Being small and unobtrusive in nature, it is easy to move a handgun around or station several in the house so as to always have access to one.
    * You realize that you will have to navigate hallways, open and close doors, flip light switches, etc and this is easier to do with a free hand.
    * A handgun is easier to hide if for some reason a night time investigation leads you outside.
    * And the biggest one is what I call the slipper effect. In most cases that you go to investigate something, experience tells you that it is more likely that someone forgot to close a door, or the cat knocked something off the counter, instead of a team of highly trained professionals coming to kidnap you for ransom. I liken this to forgetting to put the trash out and you hear the trash truck early in the morning. Even if it is raining or there is snow on the ground, you chance it by putting on your slippers as you dash out to drag your cans to the curb. You know it is gonna be kinda uncomfortable, and maybe you should put on some proper shoes, but you are only gonna be outside for a minute anyway.

The same thing goes for the “bump” in the night. If you knew for sure it was an all out home invasion, you would be more likely to break out a rifle or shotgun. But the truth is that this is seldom the case, but you never know, so more often than not it will be the pistol you grab to investigate.

Few courses are as popular these days as those for carbines. But going back to my comment about most people never carrying a rifle outside of their house or the range, ask yourself these questions about the courses or your own planning.

* Have you ever fired a long gun barefooted in your bed clothes?
    * Have you ever tried to clear your home in the dark with a long gun?

These question, although not high speed, are realistic and are training problems, not equipment problems.

For the majority who answered that they would have a pistol in hand first, I think it comes down to two things to think about.

The need to be realistic about the reality of how they would likely deal with a “bump” in the night by making a long gun more readily available. And how to better use the handgun I will actually grab to better defend myself and my family

I keep my CCW on bed side stand and plan to use it first for home defense.

If events give me time I will use 870 with buck shot and CCW as back up.

If it is TEOWAWKI then God help us all, and fight to win for yourself and love ones and others.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

AzB
    Two words:

Taurus Judge.

Az

Lets go extreme and say your pinned in the house by an armed group set up outside or something of that nature. Hand guns and shotties might not be your best option in that scenario.
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMyRight2 View Post
    Lets go extreme and say your pinned in the house by an armed group set up outside or something of that nature. Hand guns and shotties might not be your best option in that scenario.
    Zombies?

Seriously, unless they have explosives or tear gas, you're better off staying inside and picking them off as they come through narrow areas.

Az

Distinguished Member
    Good article, thanks. Food for thought.

Getting dressed and shoed quickly is something I've thought about but have not come up with any clever ideas other than just get it done.

Best home Defense

Mossberg 500 12 guage w/ buckshot, home defense barrel, and good flashlight mounted with a pressure switch on the foregrip.
    Cowboy

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Good article. I must say, that my 357 is my first choice though my shotgun would probably be the more useful weapon to be honest, that pistol is just a easier grab.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

My take

Great topic for the "In Reality" series.

I'm sure it goes without saying, every home and every homeowner/renter is going to have very specific scenarios when it comes down to the 'what if?' question: floor plan, who and how many live in the home, ages, neighbors, domicile location, etc. There are way to many variables to generalize a one-size-fits-all answer.

And I certainly realize this is not what you're doing.

That said, my response to the question, “If at 3 AM this morning you heard someone breaking into your house, what would be the first firearm that you would be able to access,” my answer would be my short-barrel 12-gauge.

If, on the other hand, my doorbell rang at 10:pm and I wasn't expecting visitors, my handgun would be in my hand when I looked out the window or peephole before I opened the door.

A bump in the night? Okay, we have an alarm system that is ALWAYS armed whether we are home or not, but at 3:am I would still have my Mossberg 590 (with mounted flashlight/ laser) in hand because I have no pets and no kids who might trigger the alarm system. ( FWIW, shells #1 & #2 are 7.5 birdshot; shells #3-#8 are 12-pellet 00 buckshot).

I cannot imagine being awakened at 3:am and being terribly accurate with my .357, even with a laser grip.

"* Have you ever fired a long gun barefooted in your bed clothes?:" No, but I've practiced.
    "* Have you ever tried to clear your home in the dark with a long gun?:" Not exactly, but after clearing the immediate area I'd probably hunker down and let the cops clear my house whenever they show up.

One thing I still plan to do is get a single-point sling so the shotgun stays with me and I can use both hands to open the fridge after it's all over.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    Two words:

Taurus Judge.

Az
    Why? Because of how awesome birdshot is? Or how cool it would be to have an oversized .45 Colt?

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Thanks for the research and post. I agree with most everything

I prefer a handgun for several reasons,

Speed- as you mentioned pistol safes are generally quicker and easier to operate than my big dial-a-rifle. (I keep all my firearms locked up unless they are attached to my body)

I considered how center-fire rifles are significantly louder than handguns and without hearing protection, in an enclosed space, I believe a handgun will cause less permanent damage.

I know you were concentrating specifically on handgun/long gun, but I think the typical home defense deficiencies are in lighting, and common sense...

:)
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Why? Because of how awesome birdshot is? Or how cool it would be to have an oversized .45 Colt?

-B

Az

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    Few courses are as popular these days as those for carbines. But going back to my comment about most people never carrying a rifle outside of their house or the range, ask yourself these questions about the courses or your own planning.

* Have you ever fired a long gun barefooted in your bed clothes?
    * Have you ever tried to clear your home in the dark with a long gun?

These question, although not high speed, are realistic and are training problems, not equipment problems.

For the majority who answered that they would have a pistol in hand first, I think it comes down to two things to think about.

The need to be realistic about the reality of how they would likely deal with a “bump” in the night by making a long gun more readily available. And how to better use the handgun I will actually grab to better defend myself and my family
    Yes, I have fired a "long gun" as well as a handgun in my PJ's an slippers, more than once. Coyote and raccoon are nocturnal and I have been awoke more than once by them.

That said;
    I keep my CCW in the night stand for easy access and to buy time to get to the shotgun. From there my response will depend on what the situation is and how it develops.
    For human threats;
    I am not very apt to "clear" my house. While I have had some training in clearing a building, it is not something I recommend doing alone. My designated "safe room" is the 4 yr old's bedroom right next to the master bedroom. Generally, my first response is to grab the wife and head for the daughters room. From her doorway I can cover the only entrance without exposing myself unnecessarily. There I can await LE and any BG will be forced into a funnel directly in my sights.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Guys, I am no debating the effectiveness of a pistol vs long gun, or shotgun vs rifle. I am talking about in reality when you are in your night clothes and hear a bump in the night. As has been stated every noise you hear may not result into the family barricading into the safe room and calling 911.

The point was that even people who may have access to long guns will generally grab a pistol to investigate a bump in the night. It seems the best of both worlds would be to draw a line in your mind that if it is not to the point where you know you need to call 911 you would be more comfortable investigating with a pistol and a light. If the situation requires you calling 911 then taking the family into a secure room and defending with a long gun would be prudent.

If you decide to investigate using a long gun, understand that loosing your balance on a steps or another obstacle when you have both hands on a the gun can be tragic.- George

I use both. I grab the Hk USP .45 with lasermax and hand the wife the benelli 12ga.

Teamwork.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links