Home Defense Help/Suggestions?

This is a discussion on Home Defense Help/Suggestions? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thanks for all the input guys...I'm definitely gonna look into the alarm system and motion lights. I will also be speaking to the property manager ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Defense Help/Suggestions?

Thanks for all the input guys...I'm definitely gonna look into the alarm system and motion lights.

I will also be speaking to the property manager out here as well as some of the other neighbors about this tomorrow.

Keep the input coming, I really do appreciate all the great minds and ideas on this site.

Josh

XD40 Service
    XD40SC Coming Soon

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
    My main question is, if you were in my shoes....what other steps/measures would you take to handle this situation/safeguard your family/property.
    Josh
    Well, somewhat suppressing my initial reactions on Guerrilla warfare tactics, trip wires, booby traps and claymore mines.........I'll go with what some have said so far. Like the motion lights, the fence, Ninja spikes, and a Rottweiler, etc...... Best of luck to you in your rather weird situation. I'd be concerned as well, but it wouldn't be for long. Once I'm established somewhere, I'll stand my ground and fight for it.....game on. Psychological warfare is not out of the question....with the right resources and knowledge, you can remain perfectly legal while staking your claim to your rights, life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness when it comes to weirdos and their willful invasion of those things which you covet dearly. How would you feel about digging some small, ankle twisting holes in your yard and covering them with wire mesh and sawdust? Pop-up lawn sprinklers on a timer that can be over-ridden by a manual switch? May flaming paper bags of poo befall your enemies this night. I'm with you, and no matter how some of this may elicit a chuckle or two.....I'm dead serious about all of it. Win the game now before the rules change. In your plight, you're in my thoughts. Best to you.

Like a couple of others have mentioned, it certainly helps to communicate with your existing neighbors about what might potentially be a new threat, but it's also prudent to talk to those who are causing you such concern. Frankly, I would have tried talking to them myself before I call the cops or landlord on some suspicious new neighbors. It reminds me of when I used to work a retail job many moons ago; one of the surest ways to reduce shoplifting was to give suspicious customers a little more "help" and attention. Instead of living in fear of what your new neighbors might do, perhaps you could approach them directly and call them on their BS. At least then you'll know what you're dealing with (and if you go to their house to do it, you might get some idea of who lives there and what they are up to).

I'm not sure if you mentioned owning or renting your home, but if you were renting, I'd be checking out another area. If that's not possible, a big GSD (dog) might just become you best family friend and home alarm. Dogs can be a great deterrent, not impossible to get around, but still a strong warning to dirtbags to pick another place.

Have a friendly get-together with friends who are armed...in your front yard or just inside the 'man-cave'...for me, that would be a circle of folding chairs in the garage. Nothing wrong with cleaning your pistol(s) in the garage either, door open, of course...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Motion lights im a big advocate of!!! I put them up on every side of my house. Just be aware of them shining in the neighbors windows(try to be curtious)
    So If Guns Kill People Do Pencils Miss Spell Words???

Everything in your first two paragraphs sounds like people that are security aware. If you were to ask in a gun or security forum how to move into a new home in a "what appears to be a nice neighborhood" I'd bet that you would find the majority of the replies would say to keep the doors shut and don't let the curious neighbors see you bringing in your valuables and move after daylight to lessen what is seen. The suggestion to mount video cameras as soon as possible would rank right up there too.

They may have late shift work so night is their active time.

All this said, still best to be very alert as to their actions.

The AirSoft pellets and the guys with hoodies, were they for sure tied to the new people that moved in or is it just happening in the same time frame?

I've seen kids on bikes ride the sidewalks in neighborhoods and shoot airsoft at the houses and pets. Like others have said, if you can get a time lapse video monitor going out the front toward the neighbors it may enlighten things a bit.

Did the LE that responded have any other suggestions? They usually have a fair idea of whats going on in the area.

Stay safe and alert.

How about inexpensive window/door alarms. People trying to attain entry because of illegal desires hate noise.

Door Alarms

I echo exterior motion detector lights as well.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Vendetta - I did forget to mention that now a days, they do have allergy shots for people allergic to animals, just a thought.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

[QUOTE=Glock30SF;1518878]Dog,alarm system,camera/video system. Talk to other neighbors to keep look out. Also make sure your doors and locks are up to snuff too.[/QUOTE

many of these ideas cost mucho dinero, and there are probably more effective ways to secure your home.

your local newspaper, neighborhood watch assoc. or local PD should be able to provide recent info on the neighborhood you just moved into. frankly, that would be one of the FIRST things i would have checked before renting or buying.

anyhoo, get in touch with the local neighborhood watch associaton or start one asap if one doesn't exist. then, get to know -- on a daily one-on-one personal level -- your local neighborhood beat cops. tell them your concerns, get their cell phone numbers & tell them repeatably how much you appreciate their commitment to your neighborhood security.

it wouldn't hurt to let them know that you're packing, just in case the sh**t goes down at your house. believe me, they would like to know that.

Thank you guys sooooo much for all the input.

To answer a few questions....the airsoft stuff and hoodie guys are all coming from the same house.

We checked out the area and spoke with some of my PD buddies before we moved into this house, and all was well.....until the people across the street moved in.

I'm still trying to figure out how they're paying almost $1K/month when neither one of them work.

We've also started taking down tag numbers of the NUMEROUS cars that come and go to that house and stay for less than 5 minutes.....hmmmm

Josh

XD40 Service
    XD40SC Coming Soon

Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
    No pets as my wife is alergic.
    Bishon Frise...hypo-allergenic dog....got one when my boys were younger (unfortunately the dog is still around, I miss my Lab)

10 lbs of yippie barking dog...barks at anything that comes close to the house (or drives by the house).

Great alarm system...not much for physical deterrence.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Set up your own security cameras, motion activated. No need to be too subtle about it, I'm sure the neighbors will know soon enough. One thing though, those great deals you get in some of those packages deliver a video still that is all but worthless. I saw this at a recent gun show, of all places, here in San Diego. A vendor had his camera system with demonstrations. You could literally zoom to a car 400 yards away and still clearly read the license number in real time! The 4-camera package cost almost $1800 but this was something that would actually provide evidence and not just intimidation. I think the cameras were by either Samsung or Toshiba.

Have you at least gone over to speak with these new neighbors to "welcome them to the neighborhood" so you can size them up a little. Maybe ask them if they want to be part of the "very active" neighborhood watch program. I know this may be a fib, but why not give them notice that people are watching the neighborhood closely. Then just to be sure, go talk with the other neighbors to ensure everyone is looking out for each other.

All the other bits of advise is spot on. Definetly motion sensor lights and house alarm if you can afford it. Just these 2 additions to your home defense will ease your mind some when you are away.

Let us know if you find out more about these "new neighbors" if you get the chance to size them up face to face.

I'd get a discrete camera that can record video inside your house. My buddy has one that looks like (and is) a tabletop radio. In addition, if there is any motion in the house, it records on a chip. You then use a USB connection to view the video.

No question, these guys are drug dealers. I've seen this time and time again in the neighborhood that I grew up in, and neighborhoods that my buddies have moved into... All nice neighborhoods, but it's easy to spot the sore thumbs that move in with sketchy activities and strange hours of operation.. Not to mention the 5 minute visitors. Your gut tells you something is off, then something is off.. Remember the movie, "The Burbs"? Ok, kidding aside.

Mark my words, they've brought their drug ring into your neighborhood.

I've taken hundreds of license plates and descriptions of cars, to no avail. I fully support the SLC PD, but in the case of the drug dealers we could never get a detective to come and stake out our street to view the activity.

I'm glad to hear that your local PD are involved. I agree with the earlier comment of doing some digging to get personal info on those that just moved in.

Also, have you banded with all of your neighbors? It's been brought up but you haven't made mention of the what the neighbors have noticed. Your neighborhood should work as a network of info gatherers and compare notes.. Maybe into a database of activity.

Wow, I sound paranoid for you... But, I'd work to get them the hell out of my quite little hood..
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links