Home Defense Help/Suggestions?

This is a discussion on Home Defense Help/Suggestions? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We had some neighbors move in across the street from us about 2 weeks ago. They moved in at 1am and always keep their blinds ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Defense Help/Suggestions?

We had some neighbors move in across the street from us about 2 weeks ago. They moved in at 1am and always keep their blinds closed, garage door shut, etc.

The other day we noticed that 1 of the men that lives there was up on a ladder installing a security camera on the corner of the house that looks down on the driveway/garage door area. I'm a little weirded out by this as we live in a VERY nice neighborhood that is mostly retired or current military.

About 3 days after they moved in, my wife started hearing something hit the front window of our house....just 1 tink, and only once or twice a day. I investigated the area on the ground around my front window when I got home from work to find some little green plastic bb's which I later determined to be Airsoft bb's.

Now, this has been going on EVERY day for the last 8 days in a row. I called WPD, and an officer responded. I was VERY pleased with him and how he handled the situation.

However, today we were getting ready to go eat dinner, and as I'm pulling out of our garage, I see 2 mid 30's african american males in hoodies and jeans kind of lurking out beside my side yard. As I pulled out, they slowly moved more towards the back of my house/side yard as to stay out of sight.

I called WPD again, and explained what the activity was that I had seen. And the same officer responded, and then contacted me on my cell phone. He had seen the 2 individuals and they kind of scattered when they saw him coming he told me.

I have triple locks on the doors, and a BTK bar on the slider. My wife has my XD with her all day while I'm at work, and is trained to use it.

My main question is, if you were in my shoes....what other steps/measures would you take to handle this situation/safeguard your family/property.

Sorry this is so lengthy, I just want to make sure all the details are covered.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Josh

XD40 Service
    XD40SC Coming Soon

Dog,alarm system,camera/video system. Talk to other neighbors to keep look out. Also make sure your doors and locks are up to snuff too.
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Quote Originally Posted by Glock30SF View Post
    Dog,alarm system,camera/video system. Talk to other neighbors to keep look out. Also make sure your doors and locks are up to snuff too.
    I appreciate your input Glock!!

I'm considering the alarm system option. No pets as my wife is alergic...lol

I personally installed all the doors/locks....Spent almost 1000 of my tax return money on that stuff...lol They're g2g.

Josh

XD40 Service
    XD40SC Coming Soon

Well with no dog I would get on the alarm option ASAP. It is a great tool to use on 'instant' when at home (especially at night). Also you can find camera systems out there pretty cheap.
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Can you fence the yard?

Install motion detector lights.

Wife with XD and willingness to use it is a grate plus.

If you do not already have one get a shotgun.

Maybe most important talk to other neighbors, if this is a problem for you it most likely will be for others.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

This might sound simple but I would also install some motion sensitive flood lights, drive way /entrance and back yard.

I second the advice here. Communication with neighbors will help y'all watch out for each other without the worrying about appearing too nosy if they see something's up. Get on the alarm. If you are gone and the neighbors are out, what else is going to limit the time the BG's have in your home?

If you do get an alarm system make sure it goes off if the telephone wires get cut. I think there are 2 options:
    Cellular backup which would cost me an extra $10/mo.
    This would still notify the alarm company.

The minimum would be that the alarm would go off if wires are cut. In this case the alarm company is not notified. But your neighbors would hear it.

Do you have a gun safe, if you have any weapons that you leave behind when you go out. No sense arming the punks on top of everything else.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I know this might not be the best answer here, but it's my way and how I would handle this type of situation. First off, I'm not sure of the initial situation and what that was about, you say it was handled, is there a connection here?

On to the second scenario. I'm not saying you have to engage the two individuals as in whip out a gun on them, but usually folks like them don't like attention and you say you live in a nice neighborhood with military or retired military, why not if they look suspicious to you ask them their business, it can't hurt, bring them to the attention of all, attention is usually a bad thing to those who wish to remain in the shadows.

This might help solve a problem, you've let them know your aware of them and not going to sit back and say nothing, your alerting your neighbors to their precense or should. The police might not be able to be so quick next time and your showing them that your not going to sit back and wait for the police to protect you and your property for you against them if their intention is to do you or yours harm.

This is just my view on this now. It's not meant as the cure all by a long shot, just another view to be looked at.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Administrator
    You should be able to easily find out the names of the folks that purchased that house.
    That is in the realm of public information.
    Then run a criminal background check.
    It will cost you (usually) about $40.00

Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
    No pets as my wife is alergic...lol

Josh
    Not all dogs create the common pet allergic reactions; primarily, it's the ones that shed. Found out recently our Wheaton Terrier is "hypo allergenic" - just some food for thought. Together with 190 pounds of Labs, they put up a hell of a racket when there's a stranger at the door, or when things go bump in the night. You can't set an alarm to be as sensitive as a dog!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    I know this might not be the best answer here, but it's my way and how I would handle this type of situation. First off, I'm not sure of the initial situation and what that was about, you say it was handled, is there a connection here?

On to the second scenario. I'm not saying you have to engage the two individuals as in whip out a gun on them, but usually folks like them don't like attention and you say you live in a nice neighborhood with military or retired military, why not if they look suspicious to you ask them their business, it can't hurt, bring them to the attention of all, attention is usually a bad thing to those who wish to remain in the shadows.

This might help solve a problem, you've let them know your aware of them and not going to sit back and say nothing, your alerting your neighbors to their precense or should. The police might not be able to be so quick next time and your showing them that your not going to sit back and wait for the police to protect you and your property for you against them if their intention is to do you or yours harm.

This is just my view on this now. It's not meant as the cure all by a long shot, just another view to be looked at.
    I agree with Guardian, I would have asked them what they were doing. I would have at least let them know I was aware of their presence.

Good luck, rk
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    Can you fence the yard?

Install motion detector lights.

Wife with XD and willingness to use it is a great plus.

If you do not already have one get a shotgun.

Maybe most important talk to other neighbors, if this is a problem for you it most likely will be for others.
    Great minds think alike...
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Get a low allergen dog. A big one preferably!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links