home security systems and alarms - Page 2

home security systems and alarms

This is a discussion on home security systems and alarms within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just put a couple of these in to deal with burglars after they cut the phone lines that your alarm is hooked to and gain ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: home security systems and alarms

Just put a couple of these in to deal with burglars after they cut the phone lines that your alarm is hooked to and gain access.

http://www.stopthecrime.com/prod-interceptor.htm Read the testimonials. Good stuff.

They also make ones that can be wired into the system.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Depending on what local companies are around you, some may do the wiring and set up the system during the building stage for no charge, but require you to sign a couple year contract.

A local company did it for me when I was renovating my office building, their monitoring fee is only 90 per quarter. Later I had them do the home at no charge but the same monitoring fee.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    Just put a couple of these in to deal with burglars after they cut the phone lines that your alarm is hooked to and gain access.

Anti Burglar System using OC Pepper spray (Revel Technology, Inc.) Read the testimonials. Good stuff.

They also make ones that can be wired into the system.
    Of course you can't own inside dogs with this......
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    OP, You're killing me! You want everything except to pay for it!
    You get what you pay for, and in your case you won't get much.

However, cheapie, Homie D sells a wireless motion detector that will alert you whenever someone approaches your door (or wherever you've mounted the detector. It's inexpensive, like a dog that growls before someone gets to the door. Get one for the front, back, side, garage doors, etc.

They also have a wall full of security devices that may fit you bill for some of what you want.

Me? I'd want a dedicated alarm and monitoring service. Oh, got one. Saved $150 on the homeowners insurance too.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

decided to go with a 'real' company monitoring system.
    a coworker recently got their home broken into and they took EVERYTHING. including passports, credit cards, other 'identity theft' kinda things.
    I have since convinced my husband its worth it and will be getting a bit better of a system.
    Local places are also a lot cheaper than the big national ones. Having a few meetings tmrw ill let u know how they go
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    Of course you can't own inside dogs with this......
    yeah, you cant let them roam free when the motion detector is active. I always kennel my dogs when motion detectors are on, which is only when Im not home.

The dogs are the alarm when Im home. The rest goes without saying.

yeah, you cant let them roam free when the motion detector is active. I always kennel my dogs when motion detectors are on, which is only when Im not home.

The dogs are the alarm when Im home. The rest goes without saying.
    But, are the dogs kept inside...if the device is used for protection from intrusion & is set off while your dogs are in the house, then they are toast!

-Will Rogers

they do make dog friendly motion detecotrs, but either way, my dogs are always crated when I am not home anyways.

ZR9RCAM: why do you say that the dogs are toast if they are in the house and the alarm goes off? Do you mean b/c of the loud alarm or something else?
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    they do make dog friendly motion detecotrs, but either way, my dogs are always crated when I am not home anyways.

ZR9RCAM: why do you say that the dogs are toast if they are in the house and the alarm goes off? Do you mean b/c of the loud alarm or something else?
    You must not have looked closely at the method of deterent his system uses....."Using a passive infrared detection system, a single Intercepter unit can control areas up to 2,000 square feet. When triggered, the unit releases four ounces of irritating OC (pepper) spray, to stop an intruder in seconds. The Intercepter can be installed in minutes with no electrical experience required."

-Will Rogers

oh, yea. didnt read that. eep!
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    But, are the dogs kept inside...if the device is used for protection from intrusion & is set off while your dogs are in the house, then they are toast!
    The dogs are in a crate when I aint home, in a place where they are ok. Don't really want to say anything else as far as location of things and layout of the SgtD booby-trapped bunker.

BTW, dont trust those dog safe motion detectors. I had them on my old system and either they would get set off by the dogs or if tewaked to be less sensitive, I could ride my horse through the living room and not set it off. I never could get that happy medium, and that was a professionally installed $2500 ADEMCO system. I finally had the alarm guy unhook it.

The dogs are in a crate when I aint home, in a place where they are ok. Don't really want to say anything else as far as location of things and layout of the SgtD booby-trapped bunker.

BTW, dont trust those dog safe motion detectors. I had them on my old system and either they would get set off by the dogs or if tewaked to be less sensitive, I could ride my horse through the living room and not set it off. I never could get that happy medium, and that was a professionally installed $2500 ADEMCO system. I finally had the alarm guy unhook it.
    Understood....

-Will Rogers

Check out alarm.com

I have a system from alarm.com. They sell GE Concord hardware with a cell unit that adds two essential features.

1. Alarm.com doesn't rely on a phone line but uses a wireless cell module, so the BG can't cut your line.

2. Alarm.com have iPhone and Blackberry applications and a mobile Web page etc you can use to monitor zones and arm/disarm. It also includes live and recorded video if you buy their system with video.

You can buy the system hardware direct from alarm.com and have it installed, then pay a small monthly fee to the monitoring agency of your choice to have it monitored without a contract.

I've had two bad experiences with Brinks and their multi-year contracts. Also, I noticed someone recommended X10.com hardware which personally I would avoid due to poor hardware quality. I just recycled a whole box of the stuff which never worked properly and would not rely on it for security.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links