home security systems and alarms

This is a discussion on home security systems and alarms within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am building a house and now considering what, if any, alarm type systems I want to put in. We live in a subdevision in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: home security systems and alarms

Question home security systems and alarms

I am building a house and now considering what, if any, alarm type systems I want to put in.
    We live in a subdevision in the country on about 2 acres. We have a fairly long driveway and trees between our house and the road. Crime in this area is very low. 2 of my neighbors can also see my house from theirs.
    We already have planned in to put motion sensor flood lights outside around the house on all sides, so that at night or when we are gone we can turn those on so people cant sneak around our house in the dark
    I am not interested in having a big alarm system setup where I have to punch in a code every time I enter the house and pay ADT $50 per month.
    There are a few things I would like though and am wondering the best way to get them.
    1) An loud "beep beep" when a door (or few specific windows) are openend to alert me when I am in the house. This feature needs to be able to be turned off and on. I assume no need for any kind of subscription anywhere for this. I just need to find the appropiate things to buy. Any suggestions / links? I also want the speaker that beeps or whatever to be in a few locations: probably one in bedroom and once in basement.
    2) I really like the idea of something calling the fire department when my smoke detector goes off. I know places like ADT have this included in packages. Are there any places that will do just this at a lower cost? Or even better, a way I can set it up w/o paying any monthly charge? (could also call my cell instead of fire dept)
    3) water sensors. What options are out there for water sensors? I have a mostly finished basement with a LOT of things I dont want getting wet down there, and also have hardwood floors in kitchen. Either something audable or that calls my cell like #2 if theres a combo thing out there.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Again, I really dont want an all out system with actual alarms and a key code and everything. I can possibly see using one of those if I am gone for a week or two, but that is very rare and I again am not willing to pay $50/mo for that.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

2. Remove Ads

edited:

ok, I found something that looks like its close to what i want just not quite.
    http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/v500.html

I want something like that with the following sensors:
    smoke detector
    window/door opened
    water sensor

I also to be able to edit what each one does at any point in time.
    example: have door just been when opened, have door alarm and call me when opened, or do nothing while having smoke detector always alarm, and sometimes alarm and call me.

Anybody see something like this with the features I want?
    Georg Büchner

Not familiar with that specific system, but I used to install home automation/security/theater systems and the biggest thing at this stage is to plan out what all you may want to do and make sure any necessary wiring is put in.

Are you doing this yourself or do you already have a low voltage contractor you're working with?

You could still go the traditional security system approach and just not have it monitored.... Would give you the door chimes, siren, etc, that you'd want.

Also think about future options such as security cameras, it's easy enough to run some cat5 wire to locations where you may want them.

Another simple idea is a driveway sensor that alerts you when a vehicle drives up.

The biggest thing I would say is planning and making sure the wire is in place. Even if it may not be a feature you want right away it makes it easier to add later on instead of retrofit or relying on wireless options.

yea, that is why i am trying to figure this out now, so that I can tell my contractor what else i need wired.
    i got a driveway sensor for my parents and like it quite a bit. I may very well get one of those as well since they are cheap and really dont need to be tied into rest of system
    Georg Büchner

Alarm Relay is an inexpensive alarm company for people with do it yourself alarm systems. Back when I was looking into this, the alarm forums recommended them. I use them now.

Home Security Store sells DIY alarm systems. I use GE NX-8 for my security system. And I have three LCD keypads throughout my house. Whenever a door or window is opened it beeps. This feature can be turned on/off at any of the LCD keypads.

Make sure you have a security/low voltage guy wire your doors/windows before the drywall goes up. Also have them wire the garage doors, the driveway and any other sensors you can think of. The guy that wired my system also connected the sensors and the security box.

Then I programmed what zone does what, then Alarm Relay set their settings. All settings are accessible/changeable by me. I think Alarm Relay is only $9.00 a month. I pay yearly. But you do not have to hook up to an alarm company to hear the beeps. You can have the system call you instead of the alarm company. As long as you have caller id you will know the screaching in your ear is from your alarm system.

Flo Logic can be used to monitor the water coming into your house and turn it off automatically if it detects a leak. Recommended by my plumber. Can be connected to your home security system.

thanks. i like a lot of the stuff that home security store has. will be looking more into it, but it certainly seems there are a lot of completely wireless systems that will do what i want. awesome!
    Georg Büchner

Radio shack has some decent systems. Check them out.
    God so loved the world he gave his only son...
    Whoever believes in him will not perish but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16

W

and there are water sensor that you can tie into most any alarm panel maybe look into some panic buttons also you can set them to make noise and set of strobes so if someone is trying to get in you set it off and get them gone before they even come in.

I would really suggest you find a local reputable alarm company and have them install so you can get all the highlights you want. and just dont get it monitored. I did security systems for a couple years and i did this quite often. Put in many for friends and family also i dont see the purpose in monitoring my alarm is to let me know if someone is in my place when im gone. Only reason monitoring IMO is useful is if you want fire protection.(or make system call your phone)
    So If Guns Kill People Do Pencils Miss Spell Words???

You want a battery back up in case the BG cuts the power to the house.

i noticed you mentioned adt and not wanting them which is a great decision if you do decide to go with a monitored system ( which it sounds like you dont want to ) but go with brinks which is now broadview. They hardwire everything and its much more dependable than adt. also its only like $20 something a month for monitoring and they monitor for fire, medical and police. Its worth the money to protect your home. I know you said you didnt want this type of system but figured if you changed your mind It could save you some headache with all the wireless junk they sell.
    Check out my site Black Barn Home Defense with forums at www.bbdefense.info

I would recommend going with a wired system, installed professionally and monitored for the first year. Most monitoring companies do conduct background checks on their installers which is a big plus. By signing up for a years monitoring, you also get reduced installation fee's. Check you local dealers for some good deals.

+1 on Broadview. I have heard some horror stories regarding ADT. But, don't take my word for it. Do your own research.

As an additional note, be good to your installer. Feed them, shoot the breeze with them, complement their work and (try to) tip them well. They are certified electricians and could be a good resource for later installations. I personally had my installers come back over two weekends to install additional items at very fare price.

Some of the features I had opted for that may be useful to you are....
    1. Basic contacts for doors. (Most packages will include 2-3 contacts)
    2. Motion detectors (Most packages include 1)
    3. Glass breaker sensor (Most packages include 1)
    4. Control Panel (Included in packages, with additional upgrades)
    5. CPU (Included in packages, with battery backup upgrade available)
    6. Interior Siren (Include in packages)
    6. Multi-Switches (Optional, glass break sensor and contact switch in one unit)
    7. Smoke/CO2 detector (Optional with most packages)
    8. Exterior Siren (Available option)
    9. Exterior Strobe (Available option)
    10. Security keychain remote (Available option)
    11. Motion detected exterior lighting with chime (Not available though dealers)
    12. Driveway motion detector with chime (Available through some dealers)

Once we had everything installed and included the first year monitoring we paid about $2700 (Not 100% sure. But will update after I shuffled through old bills).

We have no basement and sit at a higher elevation so we did not explore the flood detector. Doors/windows chirp when opened if alarm is disarmed. Wife insisted that we get the remotes, and as usual, good call on her part. Chimes for driveway motion detector and exterior lights were turned off, too close to a neighborhood road and lots of vegetation on property.

But, that is just one layer of defense in our home security. I hope that helps some.

Senior Moderator
    I would suggest a dog, they are the best security system money can buy.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Motion sensors, alarms, automated lighting, PC/web based surveillance, lots of add ons, fun stuff.

X10.com - Security Cameras, X10 Home Security, Wireless Camera, Home Automation, Electronics and More!
    I know what you're thinking: "Did he fire six shots or only five?" "Is that a Smith & Wesson 686+ 7 shot or 627 8 shot?" "Does he have a concealed Sig P226 SCT and two spare mags?" You've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I would suggest a dog, they are the best security system money can buy.
    oh dont worry. puppy dawgs are taken care of
    Georg Büchner

Good luck with your system. Regardless of what you install, make sure the house is pre-wired. Easy to do at the building phase, not so much once the drywall is up. When phone, speaker and TV cables are wired it's the perfect time to wire for the alarm system. Think about what you need and have the wires pulled. Having them in place and not needing them is a far better option than having to do it later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links