Lets see your home defense setups

This is a discussion on Lets see your home defense setups within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not sure if this is the right section for this thread but lets see if we can constructively help each other with our home defense ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lets see your home defense setups

Lets see your home defense setups

Not sure if this is the right section for this thread but lets see if we can constructively help each other with our home defense setups.

First, next to my side of the bed in the top drawer of my night stand is a Gunvault pistol safe with my XD45 with an Insight M3 light attached. I also have a 100 lumen flashlight and two extra magazines (two mags have Federal HST and the other is FMJ).

On top of my nightstand I also have a key fob zip tied to the base of my lamp. It is for our home alarm system. If I hit the panic button the alarm goes off, police are notified and it lights up an overhead light in each interior room and the flood lights outside the house as well as the audible alarm.

The alarm company will not call for our password but dispatch police regardless if the alarm is shut off.

I also keep my Blackberry on a charger next to the bed.

In my closet I have a Sentry firesafe. In it I keep my XD9 Sub Compact. I keep it loaded with the 16 round magazine and two 13 round magazines with it (two mags full of Hornady Critical Defense and one mag of FMJ).

You can also see I have an ammo box with about 300 rounds of both .45 and 9mm FMJ ammo. I also keep a knife, expandable baton and a large flashlight on the shelf next to the safe.

We also have two 90lbs Rhodesian Ridgebacks that have full access to the interior of the house at night (although this is what they are normally doing).

Lets get some ideas from each other how we can improve our setups.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. Remove Ads

Thank you, NO!

I think posting the details of your home defenses (with photos of the actual locations, no less) on a public forum is not the smartest move in the world.

But that's just my opinion.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

With the dogs having your back, things look pretty good!

Nice of ya to have that closet safe at shoulder height so that any thieves that might get past the dogs when your not home don't herniate themselves....

j/k
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

How is anyone supposed to know where I live other than having the city and state? You can't even track me through my IP address.

I do understand the difference between Paranoia and Preparedness and the above statement to me is Paranoia.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Ditch that shoebox of a safe and get one that's bolted to the ground. And theres a fine line between Paranoia and Proper precaution (thats a better fit), you didnt cross it so its all good. Good lookin XD BTW. Cant beat the .45.

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    1MT, take your gun locker out of the top drawer of your dresser and put it underneath. Thats the first place a bg will look.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    With the dogs having your back, things look pretty good!

Nice of ya to have that closet safe at shoulder height so that any thieves that might get past the dogs when your not home don't herniate themselves....

j/k
    This is exactly why I wanted to do this thread. It never occurred to me that the safe being off the floor is not only convenient for me but also for whoever wants to take it.

Thanks for the input.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by xsigma40cal View Post
    1MT, take your gun locker out of the top drawer of your dresser and put it underneath. Thats the first place a bg will look.
    I'm not concerned with someone stealing my gun while I am gone (the other one I will have on me so I will still have one when I get home) but I am concerned with having it out of the hands of my three year old.

If I didn't have a kid it would probably just be in a holster in the drawer and not in a safe.

Thanks for the thought though.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Thank you, NO!

I think posting the details of your home defenses (with photos of the actual locations, no less) on a public forum is not the smartest move in the world.

But that's just my opinion.
    And you'd be right. +1

My only comment is on the safe. Those combo locks can be tough in a normal environment - think how well you'll be able to handle it under stress. I would recommend something with a bio pad or key pad.
    * Glock 27
    * Remington 870P

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by maddy345 View Post
    I'm not concerned with someone stealing my gun while I am gone
    You might not, but the innocent person that gets shot by it might. Heck, he might come back a month or so after the first burgle and use it on you and your family.

The BG simply pulls the drawer out and takes it with him to open at his leisure.

Hide it and/or bolt it down to the structure. Same with the safe in the closet.

Every gun owner has a responsibility to keep their guns out of the hands of BGs.

Az

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    You might not, but the innocent person that gets shot by it might. Heck, he might come back a month or so after the first burgle and use it on you and your family.

The BG simply pulls the drawer out and takes it with him to open at his leisure.

Hide it and/or bolt it down to the structure. Same with the safe in the closet.

Every gun owner has a responsibility to keep their guns out of the hands of BGs.

Az
    I agree. That is why when I leave the house I lock it and set my alarm system. The dogs stay in out masterbedroom (where both safes are) when we are away so they don't set off the motion detectors for the alarm system.

All the bedroom windows are monitored by the alarm and the interior of the common spaces are monitored by the motion detectors.

If the bad guy gets by those I don't think my Gunvault is going to slow them down much. Even if it was bolted to a concrete floor a pry bar will make short work of it. We spent our money on a good alarm system instead of a Safe/Vault.

If I ever get back to making the money I was making before the economy slowed down I would love to have a good gun safe and some more guns to put in it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by xsigma40cal View Post
    Ditch that shoebox of a safe and get one that's bolted to the ground. And theres a fine line between Paranoia and Proper precaution (thats a better fit), you didnt cross it so its all good. Good lookin XD BTW. Cant beat the .45.
    This was to be my question as well, are these safes attached in any way?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maddy345 View Post
    If the bad guy gets by those I don't think my Gunvault is going to slow them down much. Even if it was bolted to a concrete floor a pry bar will make short work of it.
    Safes should be bolted to the floor in a corner to prevent prying.

If thats not possible then they should be bolted on two planes (floor and wall).

Best case is in a corner bolted to floor and wall.

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    Safes should be bolted to the floor in a corner to prevent prying.

If thats not possible then they should be bolted on two planes (floor and wall).

Best case is in a corner bolted to floor and wall.
    I guess you didn't read the entire post because I don't think I will be bolting this

to two planes as you suggest.

This one I could and probably should. My project this weekend will be to relocate this safe someplace where I can secure it to the house and not make it easy to just carry off and open at their leisure.

Maybe I can leave it where it is and secure it through the side and rear. I'll have to look at it when I get home.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links