Defensive Carry banner

Lets see your home defense setups

6K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  ZX9RCAM 
#1 ·
Not sure if this is the right section for this thread but lets see if we can constructively help each other with our home defense setups.

First, next to my side of the bed in the top drawer of my night stand is a Gunvault pistol safe with my XD45 with an Insight M3 light attached. I also have a 100 lumen flashlight and two extra magazines (two mags have Federal HST and the other is FMJ).

On top of my nightstand I also have a key fob zip tied to the base of my lamp. It is for our home alarm system. If I hit the panic button the alarm goes off, police are notified and it lights up an overhead light in each interior room and the flood lights outside the house as well as the audible alarm.

The alarm company will not call for our password but dispatch police regardless if the alarm is shut off.

I also keep my Blackberry on a charger next to the bed.

In my closet I have a Sentry firesafe. In it I keep my XD9 Sub Compact. I keep it loaded with the 16 round magazine and two 13 round magazines with it (two mags full of Hornady Critical Defense and one mag of FMJ).

You can also see I have an ammo box with about 300 rounds of both .45 and 9mm FMJ ammo. I also keep a knife, expandable baton and a large flashlight on the shelf next to the safe.

We also have two 90lbs Rhodesian Ridgebacks that have full access to the interior of the house at night (although this is what they are normally doing).

Lets get some ideas from each other how we can improve our setups.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thank you, NO!

I think posting the details of your home defenses (with photos of the actual locations, no less) on a public forum is not the smartest move in the world.

But that's just my opinion.

#3 ·
With the dogs having your back, things look pretty good!

Nice of ya to have that closet safe at shoulder height so that any thieves that might get past the dogs when your not home don't herniate themselves....

j/k

#4 ·
How is anyone supposed to know where I live other than having the city and state? You can't even track me through my IP address.

I do understand the difference between Paranoia and Preparedness and the above statement to me is Paranoia.

#5 ·
Ditch that shoebox of a safe and get one that's bolted to the ground. And theres a fine line between Paranoia and Proper precaution (thats a better fit), you didnt cross it so its all good. Good lookin XD BTW. Cant beat the .45.

#6 ·
1MT, take your gun locker out of the top drawer of your dresser and put it underneath. Thats the first place a bg will look.

#8 ·
I'm not concerned with someone stealing my gun while I am gone (the other one I will have on me so I will still have one when I get home) but I am concerned with having it out of the hands of my three year old.

If I didn't have a kid it would probably just be in a holster in the drawer and not in a safe.

Thanks for the thought though.

#17 ·
for BG coming up the street I use the howitzer mounted on the roof.

If he gets past that he has to navigate through the field of bouncing betty and surplus anti tank mines on either side and caltrops in the road.

If the BG escaped the howitzer and has run flat tires he better drive around the covered pit I dug last month.

After he climbs out of the car he better move quick since my 4 blood thirsty German Shepards haven't eaten in a few hours.

If he eludes the howitzer, has run flat tires, drives around the pit and loses the dogs he can start work on cracking open my front door which happens to be a salvaged provident bank valt door.

After getting that open he can stare down the barrel of my M2-2.

If he escapes the howitzer, mines, bouncing betty, caltrops, pit, dogs, cracks the valt, and my M2-2 he will be sad to know I have nothing to steal since I spent all my money on defenses...

#21 ·
My gun is either on my hip or sitting holstered on my night stand within easy reach. (No kids in the house) I also have two Chocolate labs that go berserk if anyone enters the house. The rest of my guns are in a gun safe bolted to the floor in the basement.

#23 ·
A small safe does protect small children, but it also make a great carrying case for dirtbags. I'd work towards getting a full size safe.
Gun Safe Buyers' Guide

Great looking dogs, we lost our RR last year...he was the best dog we've ever had, and we miss him dearly. He was a GREAT watchdog and an extremely loyal friend.

As for my night time visitor set up?:nono:
Well, one has to enter our home at night to see that...actually, all that would be seen is the first 'flash'.:comeandgetsome:

#26 ·
Home Defense Set-ups?

I also agree on the no pictures side, but I will tell you part of what I have. All external doors have hardened frames and lock assemblys with 3 inch screws. The perimeter of the house is watched by 6 IR color cameras feeding a 1TB hard drive with motion sensing. The motion detection on each camera is set for 5 feed inside of the property line and will give a beep beep alarm in the bedroom if tripped. Guns include but not limited to, Springfield Armory .45ACP with Corbon 185 GR Hollowpoints you can get an echo out of, G21 with the same, G19 with gun light and happy stick full of Corbon, Para Ordinance P16-40 with the same. These are in various locations. The bedroom door has an inside only frame lock on both sides, hinge and open side and is solid core changed from hollow core when the house was built. Two sets of motion sensing lights outside and all inside lights are X-10 remotes.

#28 · (Edited)
Bolting the safe down to the FLOOR would be the first thing. My uncle had stand up rifle safe (full over 400lbs) and it was carried off by two BG. Second, plan for the worst. What if one or more BG came in your home with or without dogs and for some reason you werent in your bedroom? What defense do you have now? Have SOMETHING in everyroom even if its not a pistol or rifle. I understand this can be hard with a child around, but someday it might save his/her/your life. I also noticed your dresser is right infront of a window. I dont care what floor the windows on, but would it be possible for the BG to take the (unbolted safe) and throw it through the window to the _________ (street?) below whail his buddy loads it up and makes a get away? Hopefully not. Smart thinking about trying to improve safety...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.