GPS a vulnerability? - Page 2

GPS a vulnerability?

This is a discussion on GPS a vulnerability? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A month or so ago, there was a rash of similar crimes in my area. Area police recommended not storing your home location in the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GPS a vulnerability?

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    A month or so ago, there was a rash of similar crimes in my area. Area police recommended not storing your home location in the GPS for that very reason.
    I never leave anything in my vehicle that has my home address on it. The vehicle registrations are carried in my wallet with the Proof of Insurance(yep all 6 vehicles, plus the boat), no mail or magazines with any info are ever left in the car.
    I've lived in the area for 45 years and I can still find my way home
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member
    I certainly know my way home, and sometimes when I'm out a long way from home and headed back it has the nice feature of calculating your arrival time at home. I find that pretty useful.

Good idea about using the interection near your home and not using exactly your home. Funny thing, I think there is an error in the mapping somehow, my GPS (Nuvi) always insists that I turn into my neighbors driveway (400 yds away from mine) to go to my home.

I wonder if I ought to change that up?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    If they steal my GPS and press the "home" button they are led to Green township Police dept.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I certainly know my way home, and sometimes when I'm out a long way from home and headed back it has the nice feature of calculating your arrival time at home. I find that pretty useful.

Good idea about using the interection near your home and not using exactly your home. Funny thing, I think there is an error in the mapping somehow, my GPS (Nuvi) always insists that I turn into my neighbors driveway (400 yds away from mine) to go to my home.

I wonder if I ought to change that up?
    MIne too!
    NRA Life Member
    Indiana Lifetime permit holder
    USCCA member

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    I use the Montgomery County Sheriffs office for ''home''. Someone would get a real surprise when they go to rip me off.
    Funny, you live in New York & yet I could set mine to Montgomery Co. S.O. as well, lol......
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    Funny, you live in New York & yet I could set mine to Montgomery Co. S.O. as well, lol......
    Now you know why they have such a long response time.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

My GPS is my iPhone w/ Navigon & Tomtom software. If anyone finds my phone and doesn't have the correct pin it wipes the phone's contents.

That being said, I wonder how many cases there are where a stolen GPS has lead to a burglary. My guess is this is more of an urban legend than a reality.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Your name and address is on the insurance and registration data in the glove box too... been like this for decades and we are all still living.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Well, I rarely go shopping with my wife, so if they come here thinking no one is going to be home, they're in for a rude surprise
    As stated, there's lock outs and storing offset home waypoints, etc. And also as stated, there's plenty of other home identifying info to be used instead. It worked for a short while, I guess and still may sometimes. It's a good point, and one to consider, they're small enough to stick in your pocket and keep it with you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links