GPS a vulnerability?

GPS a vulnerability?

This is a discussion on GPS a vulnerability? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is kind of off the beaten path, blame it on an active imagination and a long commute . Many of us have GPS's in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS a vulnerability?

GPS a vulnerability?

This is kind of off the beaten path, blame it on an active imagination and a long commute . Many of us have GPS's in our vehicles, and I would bet many of us have our home addresses programmed into them for directionally challenged children and spouses (I, for one, never get lost; I sometimes just choose to take "alternate routes" home...lol). That said, here's the scenario: You slip your keys into your pocket and dash into the local store as a downpour begins. As you depart an hour later, you discover the keys are missing from your pocket. A search of the parking lot reveals that your car has also gone missing. Call the cops, do the report, then phone a friend for a ride home. Arriving in the driveway, you find the garage open, along with the back door. Everything of value has been taken. How did the thugster who found your keys in the lot of The Big Blue Store find your house? By simply pressing the "Go Home" button on your GPS. How did they find your GPS? By pressing the alarm or "trunk open" button on your car's key fob (the same way I do at night sometimes), thus directing them to your vehicle. They found your keys, your car, and all your stuff, simply by utilizing a couple of the most common technologies available today and a little bad luck on your part. Now, here's my point: by simply changing the "Home" location to a nearby intersection or landmark you can make it a lot tougher for the BG's. They might get close, but the GPS won't lead them literally into your own driveway. Yes, they can cruise the neighborhoods clicking the garage opener, but again, trying to locate your house out of every one within a mile radius is a lot tougher than having them in front of your garage door. Yes, alarms, dogs, and armed family members are all good deterrents, but I would wage a weeks pay that many more of us have GPS's than alarms or two/four legged home security. In addition, many of us have enough easily fencible stuff in the garage to keep a casual thief in crack rocks for a couple of weeks. The preceding is just something I thought about while cruising my way home from the fire station this morning, thought y'all might find it useful.
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

Senior Moderator
    Many of the Garmin GPS units allow you to set a PIN number, and the device won't work without it.

The ones on my car and bike have this feature set, and I think it is an excellent option for anyone who leaves their GPS in the car.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I agree with using a landmark away from home as "home", I think that is by far the safest way. Also if you can have a unit with a PIN in addition then you are really set.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Yep. It has happened before. People would break in to cars at Brown's games n cleveland and steal their GPS units. They would then follow the GPS to the victims home, knowing that the victim would be at the game for awhile and noone is home.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

That IS actually a good idea to use a nearby landmark or the nearest cross street/main intersection instead of actuall home address.

That's what I had done in one of cars but mainly because it didn't have our street and wasn't think of it from a security standpoint at the time.

And really the only reason I use that feature is to get me back on the correct path back home if I'm in a new area.... just to get me back to familiar streets, no one needs it taking you all the way to your front door.

I use the Montgomery County Sheriffs office for ''home''. Someone would get a real surprise when they go to rip me off.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Meanwhile, insurance and/or registration information in your glove box has your home address on it.

Criminals have been doing this since long before GPS.

My solution is to keep my car keys separate from my house keys.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    I use the Montgomery County Sheriffs office for ''home''. Someone would get a real surprise when they go to rip me off.
    This is the thought that popped into my head as I read the OP.
    I don't use a GPS to go home as I have been there now for over 5 years and I'm quite familiar with the route to take.
    That said, I would think that setting the GPS for either a police station OR, a huge open field so that if the car were to disappear, one could call the cops and tell them where the car 'could' be driving around (looking for a house).OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

All good stuff here; thanks for the inputs, guys!
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

I set mine for an Intersection about 2 miles from my house
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

This is a very good idea. I need to change my address in my GPS. I never leave home without it, I get lost aaaaaaallllllllllll the time.

If you need to list home, just set a favorite with your nickname not "Home" then set "Home" to the police station as said earlier.

VIP Member
    I understand the need for GPS if you travel allot. My question is what kind of nitwit needs a GPS to find their way home?

One more "tool" that is robbing us of our brain power. My father in law is so dependent on his that he can't even drive up a properly marked on ramp without using his GPS. He'll drive past the faster way because the GPS says so. My father in law gave us a nice one as a gift and we have used it a few times to find strange or far away places. For the most part it stays off and in the wife's glove box. My GPS is a map.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I understand the need for GPS if you travel allot. My question is what kind of nitwit needs a GPS to find their way home?
    So when you are done in that far away location you just push a button and voila! I used to do out of town deliveries. At the last stop I would hit home, set to my work address. It's not that everyone can't get home from a general day out, I use mine more for vacations. Or if my wife is driving, I don't have to pay as much attention. She ain't from round here.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

When I first moved here, or go to another town I hit home and it gets me back into familiar territory.The Rio Grande valley has lots of connecting towns and I'm only a few miles from the border,and I damn sure don't wanta end up in Mexico with a gun...even without one nowadays
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links