Protecting my "American Dream"

This is a discussion on Protecting my "American Dream" within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Passin' Through I'm from the country and people there think differently than the city people do. Before you go putting up fences ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Protecting my "American Dream"

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Passin' Through View Post
    I'm from the country and people there think differently than the city people do. Before you go putting up fences and keep out signs get to know your neighbors. The one that comes close to the creek as well. Have the lines run invite them over for a cookout. Show them the lines and ask if that looks right to them. Tell them your future plans and what a good neighbor you will be. In the country folks don't mess with you but if you build the right relationships they'll be there when nobody else will to help. Do it slow. Country folks like slow. Like I said I am a country boy. 88 acre horse farm in North Alabama for my first 20 years. I miss the country.
    This is good advice
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

2. Remove Ads

Fencing in the entire acreage makes sense if you plan to have horses or cattle. But if not, the fencing may offend your neighbors. In the absence of animals, too much fencing gives the impression of distrust. But its your land, do with it as you please.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    +1 the only fences anyone has out here is to keep the cattle or horses in. Most people out in the country know the boundaries and aren't big on upsetting there neighbors by tresspassing uninvited. Why move out to the beauty of the country where your free out in the open to fence yourself in. Fences don't keep people out that want in that bad anyway. Congratulations on the purchase though.

VIP Member
    Four acres might not be sufficient to allow you to shoot there. Check your state and local laws. (of course cooperating neighbors may make a difference)

I was surprised to find out that you need 50 here to be legal if using anything with rifling in it. Ten for shotgun. I had no idea. Never knew about that until someone from here mentioned it in another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    +1 the only fences anyone has out here is to keep the cattle or horses in. Most people out in the country know the boundaries and aren't big on upsetting there neighbors by tresspassing uninvited. Why move out to the beauty of the country where your free out in the open to fence yourself in. Fences don't keep people out that want in that bad anyway. Congratulations on the purchase though.
    Don't forget guard dogs... Out my way the roaming dogs are shot on sight if they are aggressive. We've had far too many issues out here so I don't play around anymore.
    General country livin' rules...If you can't train your dogs to stay in bounds...fence it in or get rid of the dog. Nobody wants to get mauled or have their livestock mauled either.

Plus it makes for a good dog barrier zone. You can tell the dog it can't have anything outside the fence, but if he/she ignores the signs...they're fair game for lunch.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

You could always put 8ft of fence in an L at each corner. Something nice like cedar post and rail. It will mark your boundaries, but not be an eyesore.

On our Ohio property we fence to keep our dogs contained. On our CO property we fence to keep free ranging livestock out! lol I wouldn't get excited about fencing unless you are going to have stock or dogs running free. I don't appreciate tresspassing but I wouldn't make much of a big deal of it until you are building or living there. You want a good long term relationship with your neighbors. I didn't say a frequent but good. We country folks like our privacy but like to be neighborly. OH has a state statuate that protects the landownder from liability from lawful and unlawful tresspass.

CONGRATULATIONS! That's really exciting. +1 to what Hopyard said - Check the local & state laws concerning shooting on the subject property. Also, you had mentioned doing a survey...I'm hoping you meant to do that during your due diligence period??? If not I would be highly advisable to get a Boundary and Improvements Survey. They will stake the corners and ensure that any improvements (existing fencing) is not encroaching upon someone else's property. This can save you some headaches and also if problems are found within the Due Diligence period you have sufficient leverage to get the Seller to fix the issue, if any. Not to mention the tangible peace of mind of knowing your boundaries and what your buying. Something else to consider would be looking into what type of public access easements, if any, might apply to your stream. Depending the size of the stream the state may have public access laws allowing anglers to fish your stream by walking down it from another access point. Sorry if I'm repeating what your Realtor has already advised....just my 2 cents...from a Broker's point of view.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links