Gun Storage at Home While Away From Home

This is a discussion on Gun Storage at Home While Away From Home within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a shotgun, two semi-auto pistols and one revolver. What do you all do with your guns when you go to work, or leave ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have a shotgun, two semi-auto pistols and one revolver.

What do you all do with your guns when you go to work, or leave home for a few hours? When I am going out of town for the weekend, I lock the handguns in the safe, but when I go to work for the day, I just leave them out where they are and do not lock them up.

Do you all recommend locking them up when I go to work for the day? What about the shotgun?

Just wondering what you all thought and do.

Thanks in advance.

At Work

Unless there is somebody there to use them I'd lock them up.
    3 to 10 minutes is all it takes to make life unpleasant for you.

Peaceful

I have two safes, one wasn't enough (so buy bigger than you need the first time).
    When I'm not at home, all ammo and all guns are in the safe. One never knows who is watching your schedule for departures and arrivals.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Mine are secured in a safe when I am gone period.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Yeah mine always stay locked up when I'm not around, even a 10 minute trip or something. Granted, mine are always locked up (or at least inaccessible to short people) anyway (toddlers running around) but definitely wouldn't leave them out anyway.

What about the shotgun, do I hide it or...... my safe is about four foot tall and I could not fit it in there.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    All firearms are either locked up or on my person at all times. No exceptions ever. There are too many incidents where an unsecured firearm caused trouble. Even for those who don't have kids...
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by PSLOwner View Post
    What about the shotgun, do I hide it or...... my safe is about four foot tall and I could not fit it in there.
    I'd get a long gun cabinet that locks and bolt it to the wall. Even one of those cheap $100 green ones you can find at Sports Authority or whatever is much better than nothing. Otherwise you could put it on the top shelf in the closet in a locked plastic long gun case.

Gun safe. There really is no other way. Storage...or security? Two different things. Peace of mind is something alone. Worry leads to high blood pressure and loss of sleep. Like anything that's healthy for us these days, we'll need to pay the price. Get something that will make you feel secure and keep your guns secure as well. Think about it as first hand insurance. Second hand insurance is what pays after your most beloved thing are gone.

I always lock up my guns. The first reason is that I have two daughters under the age of 5. The second is that I would hate to have a burglar steal any of my guns and use them for something horrible. I want to do everything I can to keep them out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them.

Since my shotgun is used for home defense and I want reasonable access when I am home, I lock it up with a RAC Lock secured to the wall. All other guns are on me or in the safe.

You can get them in single or multi gun units. They are very reasonably priced.

I have them installed in my vehicles as well, when I or my wife need to leave our guns in the car.
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

Thanks all.......

Quote Originally Posted by PSLOwner View Post
    I have a shotgun, two semi-auto pistols and one revolver.

What do you all do with your guns when you go to work, or leave home for a few hours? When I am going out of town for the weekend, I lock the handguns in the safe, but when I go to work for the day, I just leave them out where they are and do not lock them up.

Do you all recommend locking them up when I go to work for the day? What about the shotgun?

Just wondering what you all thought and do.

Thanks in advance.
    The text that I put in bold type is going to come back and bit you in the butt one day when you walk into your home after work and see someone you do not know standing in your living room holding one of those guns, or pointing it at you. No matter if you are going to be gone for a month, a week, a day, part of a day or just 10 minutes, LOCK UP THE GUNS IN THE SAFE that you already told us you have! Why in the hell would you leave a gun unsecured when you have a safe? That makes no sense at all.

Unless I am wearing it or it is in the holster mounted on my bed frame (or in the case of the AR, on the mounts on the bed frame) they are locked up in the safe! As bad as it would suck to be shot in your own home, how much worse would it be to be shot in your own home with your own gun??
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

AzB
    In a safe, bolted to the floor, in a secret room, hidden behind some crap.

I really want those guns to be there when I get home, and I certainly don't want them used against me or my family.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

If mine are not on my person or within reach, they're in the safe. Even when I'm outside in the yard, they are in the safe with the dial at least key locked. If I had a 4' safe, I'd take a few seconds to remove the barrel and put it in the safe in two pieces. Easy to do, and is more secure than your other options.
    str1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links