Mountain lion enters home

This is a discussion on Mountain lion enters home within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This happened about 10 miles from my home. If this happened to me the tranquilizer dart would not have been needed! Denied:1up! Software ()...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mountain lion enters home

Mountain lion enters home

This happened about 10 miles from my home.
    If this happened to me the tranquilizer dart would not have been needed!

Denied:1up! Software ()

2. Remove Ads

Glad the woman and her kids are OK and sorry about the dogs. It seems though that she should have practiced better SA, her dogs were aware of the mountain lion for several days, and that she had enough general info about the wildlife in the area that it would be wise to have a shotgun or rifle:

"(The terrier) been barking for several days, but we didn't think much of it. We've lived in this house since 1986 and nothing like this has ever happened.

"We've seen coyotes, raccoons, a bobcat and a bear, but never a mountain lion," she said, adding that the pet door is now latched.
    pro-CZ's, pro-AR's, anti-CZAR's

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    A dog barking for several days and nobody is smart enough to look into why?
    Sheesh
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Sheesh
    Agreed, all kinds of stupid there.

People tend to forget that aside from being cute that dogs have been with man since we dwelled among caves.
    Our dogs living with us symbiotically as domestics acting as alarms and warning signals toward trouble, and for use to track down prey & predators for feed and defense.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    The lion was only 40 pounds. That's small.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I agree 40 pounds is light. I wonder why the DOW even had to consider whether or not to put the lion down? Seems to me they value wildlife above human life.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    The lion was only 40 pounds. That's small.
    Very sad.....
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Quote Originally Posted by showmebob View Post
    I agree 40 pounds is light. I wonder why the DOW even had to consider whether or not to put the lion down? Seems to me they value wildlife above human life.
    State wildlife regulations would be why.

No humans were in danger in the immediate as they family was evacd out the window as behind a closed door per the story.
    When they then went to view the cat (after the people were removed) they then decided to tranq to better gain control of the animal. and reduce potential for harm to humans (outside the building) and damage to the peoples property including the dogs.

Their steps and procedure makes total sense.
    They put the cat down as a final step.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Furry 4WD alarm systems are little different than the wired house alarm, except that they're a bit more sensitive. Ignore the warnings, and you might as well simply invite intruders into the home.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    State wildlife regulations would be why.

No humans were in danger in the immediate as they family was evacd out the window as behind a closed door per the story.
    When they then went to view the cat (after the people were removed) they then decided to tranq to better gain control of the animal. and reduce potential for harm to humans (outside the building) and damage to the peoples property including the dogs.

Their steps and procedure makes total sense.
    They put the cat down as a final step.

- Janq
    I agree with removing the animal before putting it down. My question is why did they even have to think about putting it down [After evaluating the physical condition of the lion, Aragon said it was decided to euthanize the animal.]
    A bear caught in the same act would never be considered for release.
    Having dealt with DOW on other issues I can say animal rights are above human rights with them.

To that specific point I would bet a buck that is information added in as by the press/reporter.

Agreed most any agency would default to euthanize as based on it's act of aggression, regardless of it's health condition.
    Remember you are reading a press report...A report form an industry that like weathermen are well known for not getting their information correct with even 80% accuracy/reliability.

- Janq

Famous last words...

...Linda Bese explained, "(The terrier) been barking for several days, but we didn't think much of it. We've lived in this house since 1986 and nothing like this has ever happened...

When the critters strike, either four-footed or two-footed, the are always surprised.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I am glad everyone is ok, too bad about the dog. It sounds like a typical DOW response!
    God Bless the troops...especially the snipers!
    -LaRue Tactical -

The Lion was a malnourished male of about 18 months. Cubs leave their mums at about 2 years, males sometimes earlier. So this poor fella was chased off early by his mum, or left early, and failed to establish himself in a territory. The dogs just looked like an easy meal. Winters are tough out here. Pretty sad, but that's the way it works.

I don't think the DOW response was correct, but they default to the action least likely to result in criticism in the short or long run.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    The dog is barking non-stop for days, they've seen coyotes, bobcats and bears, and they didn't think anything of it??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links