Anyone Reenforced their bedroom doors?

This is a discussion on Anyone Reenforced their bedroom doors? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by retsupt99 I leave the bedroom door open and let the dog (soon to become two dogs) work as the early warning system...this ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone Reenforced their bedroom doors?

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I leave the bedroom door open and let the dog (soon to become two dogs) work as the early warning system...this works VERY well.
    Wow, you have mastered cloning. Well done sir, well done!

Personally, I like the idea of reinforcing the exterior doors.

2. Remove Ads

i've thought about this also.

i live with my parents, and another sibling. so we have our own bed rooms ( three total ) on the upper floor. so instead of each of us having our own reinforced door i was thinking about adding two or one reinforced door at the bottom of the stairs. so this way, if the perimeter alarms go off, u can get everybody in to the main safe room and who ever comes thru those doors at the bottom of the stairs..well u know what comes next.

so in short, this turns your whole up stairs in to a " safe room" sorta...so u can gather every body in to one room ( hopefully iwth another reinforced door)

This door would open out, that way u cant kick it in..have good locks, maybe a peep hole, and or a camera to view if the door is going to be breached.

earlier i said two doors because the first layer door would be a simple one that can be open easily and set off a diffrent alarm sound so u know that someone is attemping to come up stairs. and the second layered door is the reiforced one.

another thought: the two layers of doors is a back up just in case the perimeter alarms dont work or go off for some reason...
    Last edited by Pepsi; March 29th, 2010 at 02:32 PM. Reason: another thought

If your anywhere near my house at night, my dog has already woke me by poking me with her nose. Break in and I'm honestly in fear of my life since you weren't invited. My advice is to go back home before you do the stupidest thing youv'e ever done.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

+1 on the outswinging door, and there are these devices:

Big Jammer® Adjustable Door Brace & Sliding Glass Door Security Bar at Safety Central
    "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
    - P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian

- Nex ut Novus Universitas Ordo! -

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    If your anywhere near my house at night, my dog has already woke me by poking me with her nose. Break in and I'm honestly in fear of my life since you weren't invited. My advice is to go back home before you do the stupidest thing youv'e ever done.
    I'm of the same mind set and circumstance as Supertac45!

When i bought my house the MB already had a solid core door with two light duty bolt locks positioned at about 2' from top and bottom of door. they are only visable/lockable from the inside. they give the door an incredible feeling of security. the MB is on the side of the hallway, so no one has a running start. IMO, it would be a tough door to bust open.
    S&W M&P 9C
    RUGER LCP
    S&W 5906
    COLT DET. SPEC.
    S&W 686-6"
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck", Author un-known

I've been thinking about this too. I'm graduating college in May and will be moving into an apartment without roommates for the first time. Since I'm renting, my options are limited for alterations.

And to make matters worse, I'm a heavy sleeper. I once slept through someone's 21st birthday party in my current place, and that was with the bedroom door open...

A metal exterior door with a metal frame is pretty darn hard to break into without a big ram. They are not that expensive considering what is potentially at stake.

Then the wall is the weak point, and a determined attacker could just punch out the drywall and go through the wall. If they try that on my bedroom they will be well ventalated before they succeed however.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'd be more concerned with the door frame than the door itself.
    Most doorframes (particularly interior doors) are made of surprising soft and weak pine, like 1x4, which splinters easily. I know.
    My steel front door was easily kicked open one day. The frame splintered. The door came out of it with only a dirty footprint. Longer screws wouldn't have helped (they would merely stick out the backside further).

Make the frame tough enough to slow them down, give yourself time to respond appropriately!
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by spwz99 View Post
    I've been thinking about this too. I'm graduating college in May and will be moving into an apartment without roommates for the first time. Since I'm renting, my options are limited for alterations.

And to make matters worse, I'm a heavy sleeper. I once slept through someone's 21st birthday party in my current place, and that was with the bedroom door open...
    A 2x4 crossbar may be in order for you. (Think castle gate!)
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

DMM
    The bedroom is the last place I want to engage an intruder. If they get that far I've lost the element of supprise, I'm fast running out of options and room to maneuver and adapt. The outside perimeter is the first line of defence. Sliding windows with screws above the slider so it can't be lifted out and 1" oak dowels in the tracks so they can't slide. Dead bolts on exterior doors and a 2X2 in the track of the slider to the deck, again with screws above so it can't be lifted up and removed. An alarm system with cell phone communication in case they cut the phone lines, and alarm sensors at key points programmed with NO delay so I get plenty of warning.

By the time they approach the second floor I'll be waiting with clear lanes of fire and a nasty array of firepower. They will have to fight their way up the stairs facing a shotgun with two rounds of rubber bullets followed by three of "0" buck (31, 30 cal balls per round), and a backup 45 loaded with JHP's. Couple those with a high intensity strobe to kick things off and any intruder(s) is in for a really bad day.

I have a dog, but if you can't and your worried about not hearing them in time, don't. With that new baby around your wife will be able to hear a pin drop at a hundred yards within a week of getting her and the baby home. Nothing like a new mom's ears, better than radar.

One drawback of Florida living, no basement, no attic, no second floor!
    "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
    - P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian

- Nex ut Novus Universitas Ordo! -

VIP Member
    yes
    my master bedroom is our "safe" room
    door reinforced with long screws on hinges, getting a heavier door soon to enhance this, double locks
    if someone tries to get through the door they will have a lot of lead coming their way...if they've made it that far

don't keep it closed at night since we want to hear the child, we have wireless smoke alarms around the house that communicate with each other in case one goes off they all go off

kid is across hall and will be brought into our room to hold position if need be
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links