Anyone Reenforced their bedroom doors?

This is a discussion on Anyone Reenforced their bedroom doors? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife and I have a baby on the way and so suddenly the Paternal instincts in me have kicked in and I'm looking for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Reenforced their bedroom doors?

My wife and I have a baby on the way and so suddenly the Paternal instincts in me have kicked in and I'm looking for ways to secure the house. Getting a dog is out because I have bad allergies.

I have some network cameras and good lighting all around the house. We live in a very safe condo area, but still I'd like to be prepared.

We will be:
    1. Installing an Alarm (hopefully an alarm would be the second best thing after a Dog to get me awake in case someone tries to enter the house.

2. I'd like to secure the bedroom at night.

I'm planning on replacing my bedroom doorframe and my door with a a more heavy duty steel frame and door. Hopefully something that would take quite some effort to break through. The idea behind all this is to at least allow me to wake up and get to the shotgun before someone can breach the bedroom.

Has anyone else done something like this?

2. Remove Ads

I'd be interested in hearing more about this. I'm considering something similar to this, but it involves installing a door in an opening where a door doesn't exist. It will separate the bedrooms from the rest of the house for just the reason that you are describing.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    It is a good idea. My idea is I want an intruder to make noise breaking through a door. Use long screws on the hinges,a quality lockset,a good deadbolt. There is not a door on most homes that cannot be broken,but I believe it should take repeated kicks to open.By then,you should be waiting to yell surprise.

I'm planning on a similar approach. I'll be utilizing the Master Strike on all three of the exterior doors. This device will allow any attempted intruder to be heard by at the very least our Golden who will not stand for such racket in the middle of the night... Or any time of the day for that matter.

I'll also be installing several motion detectors, a remote garage opener kill system, a device to keep the garage man-door from being breeched, and a 12 gauge shotgun. I'm debating also installing a Master Strike on our walk-in closet door so my wife could lock herself in there with a phone in case of any incident.

I'm hoping for enough time after the initial entry has been attempted and noticed, that I can get to my XD40, 12ga, hell or even my 10-22 or .22 pump.. If you are stupid enough to get in, you better be fast enough to get the hell back out.
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

Oh, and congrats on the rug rat!
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

Will the door ever be closed as you sleep. I've never been a big fan of reinforcing the bedroom doors. There are many more likely situations where this can be a bad thing (like bars on the windows). If a solid door locks, will the fire department have a harder time saving your life?

Outside doors are one thing, but I would worry less about triple dead bolts inside unless you live alone.

IMHO, keep the inside doors open (so you can hear if the kid is choking to someone has broken a window). Make sure you can hear when someone is breaking in. Dog is a good way for most. Alarms of course. Bells, etc are good ideas as well.

It is one thing to have a short term panic room (say a bathroom), but overall, I would trust my ears when it come to late night.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Well one thing you can do that won't (BRAKE THE BANK) is turn door where it swings out, Make sure it's solid & GOOD JAMS with 3-1/2 in srews. You can't kick a door in that swings OUT ; ) OMO & Congrats on the little one!!
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I leave the bedroom door open and let the dog (soon to become two dogs) work as the early warning system...this works VERY well.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I replaced all the screws in the door to my master bedroom. It's designed more to by time than keep someone out. Here is a link to what I did to my doors and pics of the screw I used and the tiny ones that were in there originally.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ing-doors.html

There are other posts on hardening doors. Do a search. I got the idea from an earlier post.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I've had the idea of making a "door belt," making a simple "almost saferoom" in the event of an intruder.

Basically, it would work like a retractable single-strap seat belt mounted to the hinge side of the door with a bracket, like those posts with straps they use to route traffic through lines at the airport (you know, the kind that the belt has a male connector that slides into a female slot on the next post), mounted with 3" screws through the trim & into the frame of the doorknob side of the frame.

It would be discreet, out of the way during normal use, very quick to deploy and easy to de-employ in case of a fire.

another quick & cheap option would be an alarmed door stop. down side would be that in case of fire you're have to find & remove the stop before getting out of the room. i carry one with me when i travel & stay in motels/hotels.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Replacing the hollow core door with a solid door and frame will give you a heck of a lot more security. Take it 1 step further with the master strike or similar product and deadbolt. Getting a cheap infrared camera pointing at the door and the receiver in the room will also get eyes on whats going on outside the door.

Congrats on the baby and if your going to be serious about this then make sure to run SHTF drills.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Not the bedroom door, but the master closet is a solid-core door with a deadbolt and reinforcing on the door frame to prevent prying. Couple that with an alarm, motion lights & cameras, and we are covered as best we can afford. I am planning on installing a wall safe in there where a couple of firearms can be kept in case my wife and kids are forced in there if I am not around. I would say at the very least install a solid-core door with a deadbolt, anything to prevent an attacker from just walking in. I know we live down the street from the local police substation, so the response times from LEOs typically run around 3 minutes for an emergency, so I figured if we can repel invaders for 5 minutes there should be time for help to arrive. One other thing we do is have a small trac-fone we maintain that is kept in the closet in case we don't have time to retrieve our cells, we always know the trac-fone is there to make an emergency call......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Thanks everyone for the wishes on the baby.

Some great ideas have been posted here! I'll have to look into it to see what is feasible. Te problem is, I'm not really handy. I will definitely look into a master-strike to fix the main entry door... but the reason I want to definitely do the bedroom door is that Our house is a 1 story ranch. So even if someone doesn't go through the front door, there is a sliding door and plenty of windows they could use. The bedroom window is kind of high so it would need a ladder or a very motivated person. In either case they would not be able to get in before I woke up. The other parts of the house however I just can't really secure.

I figure if I make the master bedroom a quasi safe-room I'll be fine. Enough time to wake me up and let me get ready and call police. Initially we would keep the rugrat in the master bedroom till he is a bit older. Perhaps then we may move to a different house... or figure some way to secure the Bedroom part of the house.

One thing is or certain, if I buy another house I'll definitely look into getting a two story with access to the bedrooms controlled via a choke-point I can put a door at.

As far as fire goes, I'm not too worried about that. Getting out of our house in a hurry isn't hard. Plus I have enough Smoke/Carbon monoxide detectors to supply a hardware store.

No. Never thought of it actually. I figure something like that would be getting in the way of things to come for whomever wants in anyway. Things end at the front door for me. If they get past that and I put up any more barriers, it's just prolonging their demise, and I'm all for getting the rabid animals to where they belong in the fastest time possible. I don't want to make things too difficult if they're so intent on meeting their maker. Just enough to give me time and call in their reservations.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    No. Never thought of it actually. I figure something like that would be getting in the way of things to come for whomever wants in anyway. Things end at the front door for me. If they get past that and I put up any more barriers, it's just prolonging their demise, and I'm all for getting the rabid animals to where they belong in the fastest time possible. I don't want to make things too difficult if they're so intent on meeting their maker. Just enough to give me time and call in their reservations.
    Well that all fine and dandy, but I want to be sure I'm awake and ready before I confront them. I figure anything that slows them down, give me more tactical advantage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links