Video on the "Reasonable Person" test

This is a discussion on Video on the "Reasonable Person" test within the Key House Press forums, part of the Site Sponsors category; Hi guys, I just posted a video on YouTube that's included in our iPad edition. It's of firearms attorney Marc Berris, explaining the origination of ...

Thread: Video on the "Reasonable Person" test

Hi guys,

I just posted a video on YouTube that's included in our iPad edition. It's of firearms attorney Marc Berris, explaining the origination of the "Reasonable Person" test, and how it gets applied to claims of self-defense.

The "Reasonable Person test" Explained - YouTube

Good post. I like the warning at the end that I hear as "There will be sheep on your jury."
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Good post. I like the warning at the end that I hear as "There will be sheep on your jury."
    Yup, Marc says a lot with the expression on his face. Marc has been a fantastic advisor on everything I've written on self-defense law, and he really made the point with me that "reasonable person" doesn't mean what it sounds like, it means, "What would 12 likely jurors think?" As Marc points out, a typical jury will be picked from the community, and the prosecutor will challenge anyone who he or she believes would help the defendant's case. So, that lifetime NRA member, and the guy with a concealed carry permit are going to be struck from the jury before they even have time to open their mouths.

Thumbs up

Great reminders, both for the uninitiated as well as those who've been 'round the dance floor a few times. It's important for us all to know what what we might deem reasonable isn't going to be the standard applied when others review our actions after a situation has occurred; rather, it's what a normally prudent, reasonable person would likely conclude in similar circumstances.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.