Weapons in Germany?

This is a discussion on Weapons in Germany? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by 7677 Times sure have changed from when I was in germany. But so has the military in general. The rod and gun ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 26 of 26

Thread: Weapons in Germany?

  1. #16
    VIP Member Array frankmako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    3,817
    Quote Originally Posted by 7677 View Post
    Times sure have changed from when I was in germany. But so has the military in general.

    The rod and gun club stocked handguns, shotguns, and rifles. About half of the soldiers in the barracks had handguns checked into the armory and we would go to the range on the weekends and there were always german civilians there shooting handguns too.

    Most of the units had shooting teams that competed against other units too.
    back in the early 70's i did three years. the rod and bottle had all kinds of guns and i got many. i lived off base and never had any problems. when i pcs back to the states it took some time for me to clear customs with all the guns that i had. but today who knows what the regs are. check with the pm office to get the regs on weapons.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

    Red State State of Mind

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    Member Array 7677's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    back in the early 70's i did three years. the rod and bottle had all kinds of guns and i got many. i lived off base and never had any problems. when i pcs back to the states it took some time for me to clear customs with all the guns that i had. but today who knows what the regs are. check with the pm office to get the regs on weapons.
    I left Germany in 1991, and it was still the same. You are right about Customs taking some time to clear but it actually helped me because they took me to the front of the long long line.

    Thanks for the link because I plan on visiting there this summer. I have heard things have changed but I have not paid much attention because when I have travel internationally since my time in Germany it has been on official duty.
    "TOUJOURS PRET"

  4. #18
    evo
    evo is offline
    Member Array evo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by Tint Bob View Post
    If you are stationed there for sometime, I think Belguim would be good to visit (very slack gun law plus lots of shooting clubs) Tint Bob (UK)
    With all do respect, this is incorrect. They changed the law in 2006.
    Now you have to be a "licensed sport shooter" to own or buy a gun. And they only allow 80,000 licensees.
    The Belgian gun laws are now considered the toughest in the world.
    Shooting clubs were overwhelmed and rareally accept new members.
    There may be some ranges available for servicemen. Not sure.

    But by all means, visit Belgium. Great food and nice places to go to
    Last edited by evo; March 15th, 2010 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Forgot something really important :-)
    Benjamin Franklin: "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."

  5. #19
    Member Array Bkrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    GTA Germany
    Posts
    322
    Thanks for the link Tint Bob. Thank you for everyone who has responded. Perhaps I will take up defensive pepper spray shooting and cane fighting I will be contacting the PM before arriving just to see if there is a chance but it doesnt look so good. I dont really want the military to be holding on to my weapons for the duration of my stay. I may be paranoid but during that time something could come up with American laws and the Govt would already be in possesion of my weapons Thanks again all for your help.

  6. #20
    VIP Member Array SIGguy229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kommie-fornia-stan
    Posts
    7,035
    Sorry to revive this thread.....

    I've got household good pick-up next week: my question...Can I bring my Magpul PMAGs? These would be used for my next deployment...which I'm expecting from Germany.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

    martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

  7. #21
    Member Array Tint Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sussex UK
    Posts
    187
    Quote Originally Posted by evo View Post
    With all do respect, this is incorrect. They changed the law in 2006.
    Now you have to be a "licensed sport shooter" to own or buy a gun. And they only allow 80,000 licensees.
    The Belgian gun laws are now considered the toughest in the world.
    Shooting clubs were overwhelmed and rareally accept new members.
    There may be some ranges available for servicemen. Not sure.

    But by all means, visit Belgium. Great food and nice places to go to
    I stand corrected!!

  8. #22
    Member Array 55spartan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    31
    be patient with all the red tape is all i can tell you and there is plenty of it

  9. #23
    Senior Member Array bobcat35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    664
    bring the P-mags those are work related kit. just ship them with your household goods thats what i did for Korea recently its kosher and saves time at the SOFA customs checkpoint. (ship everything you can with household goods in fact its lighter than rucking it.)
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

  10. #24
    VIP Member Array SIGguy229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kommie-fornia-stan
    Posts
    7,035
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcat35 View Post
    bring the P-mags those are work related kit. just ship them with your household goods thats what i did for Korea recently its kosher and saves time at the SOFA customs checkpoint. (ship everything you can with household goods in fact its lighter than rucking it.)
    Thanks...that's what I was thinking too. It will be in my pro-gear case with holsters, eye pro, gloves, lights, knives, cleaning kit(s), aircrew vest, mag carriers, 1st Aid /CLS kit, ear pro, etc....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

    martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

  11. #25
    VIP Member Array SIGguy229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kommie-fornia-stan
    Posts
    7,035
    I just got an e-mail from the Services Squadron who run the Rod and Gun club at Ramstein. To quote: "you are good with the 30-round magazines for possession in Germany"

    For future reference....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

    martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

  12. #26
    Senior Member Array RemMod597's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    behind you...
    Posts
    705
    Quote Originally Posted by 7677 View Post
    Times sure have changed from when I was in germany. But so has the military in general.

    The rod and gun club stocked handguns, shotguns, and rifles. About half of the soldiers in the barracks had handguns checked into the armory and we would go to the range on the weekends and there were always german civilians there shooting handguns too.

    Most of the units had shooting teams that competed against other units too.
    That's how I remember it, too. After I got married and moved into off-post military housing, I kept them there in my apartment. No problem.
    But, not a place to back into a weapons violation on accident. No casual carrying.


    The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Self defense in Germany
    By Labhunter in forum Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: November 21st, 2013, 11:36 PM
  2. HELP:Sig P232 380: Germany or W. Germany???
    By 2gunken in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: November 2nd, 2012, 11:56 AM
  3. Greeting from Germany
    By Generalmajor in forum New Members Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: July 11th, 2010, 05:46 PM
  4. Darmstadt (Germany)
    By tsweller in forum New Members Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: July 6th, 2009, 04:06 PM
  5. Hi from Germany
    By Rudolf in forum New Members Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: August 5th, 2007, 05:02 AM

Search tags for this page

bergermister german hunting

,

concealed weapons germany

,

gun law discussion in germany

Click on a term to search for related topics.