Weapons in Germany?

This is a discussion on Weapons in Germany? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I am soon to re-enlist and have chosen Germany as my next duty station. I look forward to being able to live somewhere where ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weapons in Germany?

Question Weapons in Germany?

So I am soon to re-enlist and have chosen Germany as my next duty station. I look forward to being able to live somewhere where I can travel a short distance and see so much. My biggest question which I havent been able to get a good answer to is- can I bring my weapons? and if I can will I be able to shoot them? I know German law in concern to firearms and understand that the chance for a CCW is all but moot. I plan on living on post if that makes a difference. Any knowledge would be great, links for self education would be awesome. Thank you in advance.

2. Remove Ads

I think it would be a real hassle IIRC you can have firearms on base but they have to be checked into the MP Armory.I know when I was stationed in England as a USAF Security Policeman we had private guns in the armory,but I don't think they got checked out until the member derosed and were then packed in with his furniture
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    I lived there for a year/civilian. Took no weapons of consequence as far as I was concerned. Some of the guys from work came over on weekends and when they discovered I'd brought a few of my nastier blades and, of all things, a slingshot, they kind of freaked. A good German can quote the scripture of the law (BTW there are no bad Germans). While I don't remember details, they were quick and clear on how badly I'd scribbled outside the lines.

On base, I can't say. But keep in mind that this is a culture where only the heavily trained, tested and usually wealthy can hunt, shoot a firearm .... including air rifles, fish for goodness sake or even sail a small boat. They have extensive education for everything followed by intensive testing and permit issue. They wouldn't even accept a motorcycle endorsement on my USA NC drivers license. So I'd say....no.....not likely. Sorry.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

I am PCSing to Germany in the next 30 days....bottom line: no pistols.

I spoke with the MWR folks who run the rod and gun club--you have to live in Germany for one year. After that time, you can petition the German gov't to request to own a firearm (shotgun)--it has to run through your command for approval, then to the German gov't. Once approval is given, you can have one of your shotgun in the U.S. shipped to Germany through the APO (according to the Rod & Gun Club guy), but it is much easier to purchas e a shotgun in Germany.

Now, I'm a little fuzzy on the details and specifics....but don't plan on bringing any firearms to Germany. I'm storing mine with my brother...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    One thing to add here. I saw some really fine shotguns while I was there. The price tag reflects the quality, to be sure. No 870's for a few hundred bucks. Only top shelf so don't plan on buying something there unless you starve yourself for that first year.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Thats pretty much what I thought SIGguy. I looked and yeah, it was either the hunting club (one year class) or the shooting club to be able to own a firearm. A little discouraging as I just got my family into shooting and bought them all firearms of their own just to have to wrap em up for a few years. I suppose I will be joining the local gun club Thank you for confirming what I was afraid of Perhaps Ill see you there.

Times sure have changed from when I was in germany. But so has the military in general.

The rod and gun club stocked handguns, shotguns, and rifles. About half of the soldiers in the barracks had handguns checked into the armory and we would go to the range on the weekends and there were always german civilians there shooting handguns too.

Most of the units had shooting teams that competed against other units too.
    "TOUJOURS PRET"

I'll be at Ramstein....where will you be?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I spent 5 years stationed in Germany throughout my career in the USAF. Ended up leaving my firearms back in the states with family since the German laws are quite strict about guns. Make friends with the local German clubs and that could be a quick way into some local shooting.

Have fun in Germany. I loved it so much there I married a local and now have a piece of Germany with me everywhere I go.

Alf87 I havent met anyone who didnt like Germany! I am looking forward to getting there. SIGguy229 I am not sure yet. I actually sign all my paperwork tomorrow and dont have pin point assignment. I am hoping to get a job with a WTU as I am a Wounded Warrior and it is time for a break from the line. I have to start networking and sending emails so perhaps I can have a job lined up before I get there.

I was a Brat in Bamberg in 7th grade in 86, Germans for the most part were very good people. But their country has some screwed up laws, I remember fishing and you had to club the fish and put it on ice. and the Game warden had to hunt with you and tell you what you could shoot......I was glad to get back to Georgia. Where humans have more rights than the animals.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

join a schuetzen verein (shooting club) actively participate for 6 months and then file a request with the ordnungsamt (club members help and sign forms) and you can get a 22 caliber which must be locked up in your home seperate from the ammo. The ordnungsamt (like a constable) will be allowed to conduct a check to see if you are in adherence with the regs, I never got checked. You can purchase larger calibers with permission but you have a higher approval rate with a 22.
    Led By Love Of Country

I was in the US Air Force in 1963-66 at Sembach Air Base. We had a rod and gun club on base and also could hunt if you were invited to a hunt by a German gun club. The German gun clubs would offer a hunt and you would have to follow thier instructions. You would meet at a Gasthaus (local bar) and the Bergermister would explain what we would hunt. A group of about 20 men would make a large circle and at the Bergermister's signal we would walk into the circle. When a animal or bird that was allowed ran out of the circle we could turn and fire at it. At the end of the hunt the group would collect and lay out the meat.
    The person that shot the animal or bird would have first choice but most likely everybody received a fair share. If you wanted to hunt Deer you would have to contact the Bergermister in the area you wanted to hunt and he would set up the hunt. The bergermister would charge for the hunt and would guide you to the deer he would allow you to shoot. You were allowed to keep the head/antlers but the meat was donated to the state. We were told the meat was given to the orphanges. Loved the area and people/customs

Quote Originally Posted by Alf87 View Post
    I spent 5 years stationed in Germany throughout my career in the USAF. Ended up leaving my firearms back in the states with family since the German laws are quite strict about guns. Make friends with the local German clubs and that could be a quick way into some local shooting.

Have fun in Germany. I loved it so much there I married a local and now have a piece of Germany with me everywhere I go.

Quote Originally Posted by Bkrazy View Post
    So I am soon to re-enlist and have chosen Germany as my next duty station. I look forward to being able to live somewhere where I can travel a short distance and see so much. My biggest question which I havent been able to get a good answer to is- can I bring my weapons? and if I can will I be able to shoot them? I know German law in concern to firearms and understand that the chance for a CCW is all but moot. I plan on living on post if that makes a difference. Any knowledge would be great, links for self education would be awesome. Thank you in advance.
    Just searched for you and found this english link re German Gun Laws....
    Germany one step closer to tougher gun laws | Germany | Deutsche Welle | 28.05.2009

If you are stationed there for sometime, I think Belguim would be good to visit (very slack gun law plus lots of shooting clubs) and even France has some really nice pistol clubs.
    You might be aware the the UK dumocrats (called the labour party) banned pistols here when they came to power in 1997, a lot of brits go to france to shoot pistols!!!

Tint Bob (UK)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links