LEO .45 ACP Question?

This is a discussion on LEO .45 ACP Question? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I saw a migration to higher capacity handguns when the BG's started using them,It sucks to have 6 rounds + 2 reloads when you go ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LEO .45 ACP Question?

I saw a migration to higher capacity handguns when the BG's started using them,It sucks to have 6 rounds + 2 reloads when you go up against a coupla BG's with G17's,Even tho I carry a 1911 everyday,when I'm shooting at the range I notice how many more double taps and triple taps etc. I get with my XD9,or my Sig 229 40.Even tho most gun fights are over in seconds,there are sometimes when they aren't and xtra bullets help.I still see retired cops from the old days that now work as Court Security etc. and still carry wheelguns
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I think economics and ergonomics are the main reasons my employer standardized on the .40 S&W. Until 1997, we could use just about anything, from .38/9mm to .45, and then, as now, we still buy our own weapons and duty ammo. The big-bore guys would not have tolerated the 9mm, and the smaller folks can't get their mitts around some .45 ACP pistols. (.45 ACP was VERY popular.) The PD now only has to buy .40 ammo in quantity for qual and training, and only has to buy holsters for a few specified handguns.

Those of us with other weapons, current as of 1997, can still use them on duty, but we have to buy our own holsters and mag pouches. The PD still maintains a small supply of qual ammo in the previously approved cartridges.

VIP Member
    gmark340 - OK, your statement makes a lot more sense now... :)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by puncho View Post
    Why did Law Enforcement Agencies move away from .45 caliber guns? I read somewhere that one of the reasons was the slow moving .45 round lost it's effectiveness to stop a threat after penetrating the windshield of a car. Any truth to this?

Thanks

Alot of agencies, including our Patrol division, whom issue Glocks as duty sidearms went with the Glock 45 G.A.P.. NYS Police changed over from the 9MM to the 45 G.A.P after the Bucky Phillips shooting of two Troopers a few years back.
    One more step and it's on!

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Glock 21 and XD45 have 13rd mags, just found the FNP45 has 14 which is the same quality as a Sig(debatable) and much less cheaper. My opinion, the 45 is much easier than a 40smith or 9mm, more damage with out over penetration.

Quote Originally Posted by 55spartan View Post
    .45 all the way for me, hit the guy with a flying ashtray is my motto
    what he said
    We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by xsigma40cal View Post
    just found the FNP45 has 14
    Mine came with three 15 round mags.

Start with 50 rounds of .45:

Start filling mags:

This is what you have left:

You don't have to give up capacity to go with a .45.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

VIP Member
    our dept allows 45acp or 9, glock, S&W, H&K, or Sig

I'd say we're about 40% 45, the rest 9mm except for a couple of detectives that are still grandfathered and carry 41 or 357 magnums

rumor has it that we are about to "standardize" on 9mm, all new officers will only be allowed to carry the 19 or 17, those of us with the others stated above will be grandfathered, rumor has it that its for cost and availability of ammo and to standardize on one platform

I'm thinking about qualifying with my G21 before then....decisions decisions decisions
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I was suprised to learn that 9mm is almost non existant up here in LE. The majority of our dept carries .45 - probably to the order of 65% or so. Of the remaining 35% I would say that 32 of that is .40 and the remaining 3 is 9mm, 10mm and .357 sig. I have a lot of respect for the venerable .45, but PERSONALLY believe that the advantages of similar power and improved capacity of the .40 outweigh the extra weight and mass of the .45. I think a compelling argument can (and has) been made for all three rounds (9mm, .40 and .45) and that any of them really are suitable for duty carry.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    That statement speaks very strongly to something, does it not?

I guess we'd better hope it's not raining the day you have to use your duty weapon...
    Good Point, as a 1911 carrier and vet. The 1911 loves, rain, mud, dust, its a combat pistol.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    our dept allows 45acp or 9, glock, S&W, H&K, or Sig

I'd say we're about 40% 45, the rest 9mm except for a couple of detectives that are still grandfathered and carry 41 or 357 magnums

rumor has it that we are about to "standardize" on 9mm, all new officers will only be allowed to carry the 19 or 17, those of us with the others stated above will be grandfathered, rumor has it that its for cost and availability of ammo and to standardize on one platform

I'm thinking about qualifying with my G21 before then....decisions decisions decisions
    If your agency will let you qual with multiple handguns, then what is there to decide? I grandfathered three 1911 pistols when my agency went all-.40 for new duty guns in 1997. One was a Colt I already owned, and I bought two Kimbers. (The Kimbers turned out to be a HUGE mistake.) I eventually went with .40 myself, semi-voluntarily. Being an old sixgunnin' dinosaur, I truly wish I had grandfathered my .357 sixguns. Once the window is closed, it may not open again.

Thankfully, I can still use revolvers for back-up, and for carry on my own time. I may revert to some 1911 carry, too, for the same purposes.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    If your agency will let you qual with multiple handguns, then what is there to decide?
    because we can only be qualified on one duty sidearm, not multiple
    we have multiple choices but can only qual with one (at a time)
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Within the past few years, our small dept and a much larger one went with the M&P .45.

Our PD was ready to sign on for the M&P .40 until myself and a few officers spoke up and suggested to get some evaluation units of both and get as many officers as possible to try them both . . . the .45 won hands-down as more controllable and higher accuracy (almost none of the officers shoot more than the 1x/year qualification).

When I started with my dept., we were issued the Sig 229 in .40. We have since changed to the G21. IMO, bigger hole in target =better. And the recoil is different also. The Sig was sharp where the Glock is more like a push. Both guns are controllable easily. My dept allows officers to qual with 2 off duty guns but duty guns are either the G21 or G30(for lieutenants and above.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

A thousand variables probably went into this but my brothers agency switched from 9mm back to .45 when doing some tests on the calibers on vehicles, the 9mm skipped off the windshield and did not even scratch it.

So they did not want even the slightest chance of it happening again they switch back to the .45 since they could not get it to do it.
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links