Raptor Holster Training

This is a discussion on Raptor Holster Training within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone out there issued the Raptor level 3 holster for duty? The reason I am asking is after 5 years of using this holster, my ...

Thread: Raptor Holster Training

Raptor Holster Training

Anyone out there issued the Raptor level 3 holster for duty? The reason I am asking is after 5 years of using this holster, my agency has just decided to have required training classes requiring officers to identify a threat via an automated video, and draw within 2 seconds if a threat or deadly force scene happens. The laser of the training gun stops the time once it is presented on target. Some of our officers are having a hard time with this, especially when it has to be performed from a seated position. Anyone out there in LE have training like this to qualify with their holster?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    we get issued the Raptor level 4
    a lot of people call it a level 3 so lets make sure we're talking about the same thing...

hood press down(1), rotate over(2), press button on rear of holster with middle finger(3), rock pistol back(3), then draw

this is what we have, the level 3 eliminates the button to push

we don't have a mandated drawing test/training, when in the academy we had to do 10 draws everytime we left the room...lunch, breaks, end of day...everytime...muscle memory grows quickly doing that many draws

we qual every 6 months and part of the training we do in addition to the official qual is timed drills from the holster,
    on the buzz draw hit steel once
    on the buzz draw hit steel twice

my best on the one shot on steel from the holster is 1.2

we don't have mandated practice from seated position, but I did this on my own at home
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

we use them at our dept. i hated them at first. HATED THEM. i didn't like how long it took and the odd way it felt coming out of the holster. push a hood. press a button. rock the sidearm. call Cheyenne Mountain and request NORAD to release the gun. get approval from the National Command Authority. dial a combination. speak the codeword. **** this is retarded to get out - i consider myself a reasonably intelligent man, despite what my wife says. it shouldn't be this hard!

there are a number of useful tidbits i've picked up along the way regarding the raptor. and now, after practicing it, and doing these things, i have found that not only am i lightning fast out of the raptor, but my draw and presentation has actually improved on my off duty holsters too.

so i did the following:

take that POS off my duty belt and find my skoal and a movie. boondock saints. entertaining and appropriate. while i watched the movie, i just sat there (dipping and) pressing buttons and pushing hoods. repeatedly. constantly. every so often, i sprayed a TINY amount of liquid silicone (NOT OIL BASED OR WD40) into the springs behind the button and under the hood and continued to work the hood and button. this went on for some time, then about 3/4 of the way through the movie i mounted on duty belt again, sprayed a TINY amount onto the felt that lines the inside of the holster, fully unloaded and double checked the glock, the stood like an idiot in front of the TV drawing.

two things happened during that period; the springs got a heck of a workout, along with my fingers, so they were exceedingly loose and ready to work. the other was that my hands got so used to the raptor that i was able to zip it out. the silicone on the felt prevents anything from getting too waterlogged - important as i'm a K9 guy out in the elements a lot.

lastly, i make it a point to make 5 good draws in a mirror with my unloaded sidearm. if i flinch, hesitate, make a less than perfect draw, whatever, i start back over at 1. this is an every morning event. muscle memory is important to me. muscle speed is too. it's helped as i'm now FAST out of my raptor, and that extra time is spent (rangewise) lining up the shot. four years later, somewhere along the way, i've come to love my raptor and REALLY don't want to trade it in for the (rumored) level 2 that may or may not be bought by the department later.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined" ~Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    thats the way its done Scot, I agree on the muscle memory, there is no telling how many draw we had to do in the academy, and how many more I did at home every night
    now it comes out on reflex without thinking about it

that being said.....I'm considering switching to a different Safarliand SLS holster, so I can have a TLR-1 since I work half of my shift at night and way too many times I'm searching buildings/yards and the light would be nice
    I'm looking at the Safariland 6360-832-91, SLS, ALS, with TLR-1 for my G17.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Links