To those of you who drive patrol cars...and enjoy cars.

This is a discussion on To those of you who drive patrol cars...and enjoy cars. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; BMW to Turbocharge Police Cars - MSN Autos Carbon is really making a game of this patrol vehicle sector...dont know if they will be a ...

BMW to Turbocharge Police Cars - MSN Autos

Carbon is really making a game of this patrol vehicle sector...dont know if they will be a flash in the pan or not.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Yea but the 59K that they are asking departments to pay up is a big pill to take.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Back in the day, we thought we were really doing something when the 440 engine came out. We could get about 140 mph out of them at that time. Didn't want to go that fast as they were heavy and liked to travel in a straight line which most roads do not. But it was exciting when you had a long straight road with no other vehicles in your way.

I would just be happy with a 5.7 Charger.
    Proud houlder of a Texas Open Carry License.

True but the car makers are all getting to the time limit of these CAFE restrictions coming in to effect for their product line.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    Yea but the 59K that they are asking departments to pay up is a big pill to take.
    59 K is a lot, but not that much for a purpose built vehicle... Think of these as heavy equipment built on a small scale, like a fire engine, transit bus, tractor, or over the road rig.

A new fire engine is at least 350 k, and I know a new transit bus will set you back at least 400k (if you want air conditioning in it). With the diesel engines, and integrated electrical/electronics I think these units should get 300 k miles with a good maintence program, as they should be designed to have entire subsystems easily replaced (as all heavy should).

The carbon motors cars are not just a car for police it is the whole package nothing needed to add. currently le departments buy a car then buy a kit to install in it. which also adds things that go flying around in the case of a crash (no they should not but it can happen). The carbon motors is supose to last longer and has everything built into it already (radio, computers, cameras, lights, and even a printer).

Quote Originally Posted by freethead View Post
    59 K is a lot, but not that much for a purpose built vehicle... Think of these as heavy equipment built on a small scale, like a fire engine, transit bus, tractor, or over the road rig.

A new fire engine is at least 350 k, and I know a new transit bus will set you back at least 400k (if you want air conditioning in it). With the diesel engines, and integrated electrical/electronics I think these units should get 300 k miles with a good maintence program, as they should be designed to have entire subsystems easily replaced (as all heavy should).
    Yes but fire engines doesn't get used as hard as has your normal patrol car. A fire engine (depending on the area) doesn't rack up the miles like a normal patrol car too. I know that with the 59K, the computers and lights come with it but with a police charger costing about 22K and another 10K (if that) to outfit it. I would go with the Charger.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Administrator
    Where they are saving money with the E7 is in the anticipated longevity and trade in value.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Where they are saving money with the E7 is in the anticipated longevity and trade in value.
    I thought that once the departments are done with those cars, they return them back to the automaker.

Plus, the engine and drivetrain may last for 250K, but what about other parts of the car, like seats and trim parts. Also, how much would it cost if a panel of the LEDs go bad?

Administrator
    They do go back to Carbon when they are done for a rebuild. Then they are returned or resold to the police market.
    "Just blame Sixto"

One thing is sure. It looks mean and for the paranoid driver, it will look scary in their rearview mirror.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

VIP Member

Pick me, pick me!

I know I'd sure love to be the 1 in the dept. who gets to be the test driver for a month or two.

I'd take one over a Charger any day!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Links