Dayton must pay $400,000 to 35 black applicants. - Page 2

Dayton must pay $400,000 to 35 black applicants.

This is a discussion on Dayton must pay $400,000 to 35 black applicants. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; "The test is intended for applicants with a high school education or GED, Civil Service Board Chief Examiner Giselle Johnson said." Without prior experience our ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm surprised at the low standards

"The test is intended for applicants with a high school education or GED, Civil Service Board Chief Examiner Giselle Johnson said."

Without prior experience our recruits in Jacksonville need a 4 year degree. A couple of surrounding counties require at least a 2 year degree.

Administrator
    A lot of times, civil service rules do not allow the exclusion of those without a degree. But that doesn't mean that they are actually in contention for the job.

With that said, I'd be all for hiring the guy with common sense, forget the degree. IMO, the cops with the degree's often tend to be good at writing reports, and that's about it. There are always exceptions. Thats just my observation though.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Guys, it's been happening for decades. What until those "special" minorities are hired. Then they take a promotional test and fail. A law suit will be filed claiming the test is bias. Then "those special" failures will be promoted ahead of many others with higher placing scores. Believe me, it happens. I witnessed it. They got large amounts of cash and stripes. I saw the their new shiny cars and the stripes sewn on their uniform sleeves. It's all politics and political correctness...no one has the balls to say: STOP! If the department takes federal funds, you play by federal government rules. No exceptions even in law enforcement.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jacket View Post
    Guys, it's been happening for decades. What until those "special" minorities are hired. Then they take a promotional test and fail. A law suit will be filed claiming the test is bias. Then "those special" failures will be promoted ahead of many others with higher placing scores. Believe me, it happens. I witnessed it. They got large amounts of cash and stripes. I saw the their new shiny cars and the stripes sewn on their uniform sleeves. It's all politics and political correctness...no one has the balls to say: STOP! If the department takes federal funds, you play by federal government rules. No exceptions even in law enforcement.
    Just look at any big city. It doesn't matter if its the PD, FD or street department.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I spent 26 years as a federal civil service employee before I retired. As a bright relatively young college graduate when I entered into federal civil service (I had served in the army before attending college), I was under the assumption, having drunk the federal propaganda "Kool Aid" that intelligence and hard work was what lead to advancement, i.e., promotions. It did not take too long to learn the truth of the matter. Being a "white, well educated, male" was the lowest category you could be in as far as promotions were concerned. What was much more important was to be a black or an asian female, regardless of intelligence or work habits! The feds will say there are no "quotas", but believe me, that is a big pile of male bovine fecal matter! The feds call it "affirmative action"--which is nothing more than a "politically correct" term for quotas. Mentor and push the minority members up the chain of command to "make up" for all the years they were descriminated against in favor of white males. No one will ever convince me otherwise, as when I finally did achieve a supervisory position late in my career, I found a written memo from several years before that a former supervisor had failed to destroy specifically stating the above policy. I don't care if a person is male, female, white, black, green or purple--the only thing that should count is knowledge, ability to perform, and work ethic--NOTHING ELSE!!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

EW3
    I believe it was Philadelphia that recently eliminated the requirement to be able to swim in the FD hiring test.

Because it's not like a firefighter may ever have to stop and jump into a rain-swollen creek or river to rescue someone whose car ran off the road...oh wait!
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

While taking a recent West Carrollton Police Department Citizens Academy class, we learned that it costs the city about $7,000 to investigate, test and hire each and every police officer, before putting them on probation; after which they still may be fired after being hired. Some of said applicants have to pay for and pass law enforcement classes at Sinclair Community College, in Dayton, on their own until they graduate...and then apply and wait and wait and wait.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links