Army Report: GIs Outgunned in Afghanistan

This is a discussion on Army Report: GIs Outgunned in Afghanistan within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by OPFOR Sticks - by far the most common weapon in the hands of the BGs over there is the AK. I came ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Army Report: GIs Outgunned in Afghanistan

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Sticks - by far the most common weapon in the hands of the BGs over there is the AK. I came across one guy with an SMLE, but he had only a handful of rounds for it. The SVD also exists in small numbers, but nowhere near enough to be considered common. The fact remains - the most common weapon of our enemy is just as anemic (if not more so) than the most common weapon in our arsenal. We have more LMGs, GPMGs, and HMGs (not to mention Grenade Machine Guns like the Mk 19) than the enemy, by a large margin. If we are not dominating the fight between 300 and 600 meters, it's not simply because the M4 is some sort of worthless paperweight.

Also, their marksmanship skills leave a LOT to be desired. I've trained Afghans, and seen them (and their BG counterparts) in action. In general terms, they can't shoot for squat. By and large, they do not grow up hunting (there ain't much to hunt in most of the country), and they don't have a tradition of marksmanship (though they do have a tradition of "warrior-ship").

The few times they actually shot at us from range, they completely missed every one and every thing, including vehicles. A major reason they use IEDs and suicide bombers is precisely because they are so massively over-matched in a rifle-to-rifle fight.

This is not to say that more options is a bad thing for the line squads, simply that a few more M14s, or new uppers, or whatever other "easy" solution we come up with here in our living rooms is going to magically make Camp Perry champions out of every grunt in A-stan....
    Could not have said it better myself..How many of you have actually scene and treated a 7.62 or a 5.56 wound ? Yes, many live to tell about it.. and there is not much difference in the two especially when using FMJ...It is all abot shot placement...have we not learned that yet? Unforunately I have witnessed numerous rounds headed for a target only to have to treat a single extremity wound. It is bad when the medic can shoot better than the grunt..It is all about shot placement the same as the age old debate .45 or 9mm...(btw 45 lol) I remember one "weapons cache" we found..The old SS 20 ga was interesting but I would have been scared to fire many of the weapons...
    Led By Love Of Country

2. Remove Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links