Bounty hunter raids Home Without Warrant ??

This is a discussion on Bounty hunter raids Home Without Warrant ?? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What if this would have been a home invasion? Dont they have to show you a warrant? with all the home invasions with criminals posing ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bounty hunter raids Home Without Warrant ??

Bounty hunter raids Home Without Warrant ??

What if this would have been a home invasion?
    Dont they have to show you a warrant?
    with all the home invasions with criminals posing as cops, this woman tries to get identification.

YouTube - ILLEGAL RAID!

tell me what yall think
    Last edited by SIXTO; April 4th, 2010 at 11:52 PM. Reason: made the title reflect what is actually being discussed
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

2. Remove Ads

It seems that this was a bail enforcement officer (bounty hunter) trying to pick up a bail jumper? I have been told that they are not required to have warrants and can do things ordinary LEO's are not allowed to do.

I do have a question. As this bounty hunter was acting in conjunction with the county sheriffs office are the deputies allowed to enter without warrants when working with him? Did the deputies use this bounty hunters ability to enter the residence as a way around proper procedures?

"I have a warrant." "I have a bench warrant." "I don't have it on me." then finally, "I don't need a warrant."
    Ya have to love that part.

Michael

Yea i can kind of see both sides...but the bounty hunter seemed to be running the show. and they had very little if any respect for the homeowner or property. what about the fourth amendment ???
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:

This is exactly why I don't open doors. I'll talk to you through the window until a warrant appears.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

Administrator
    To answer the question, No, they don't have to show you the warrant. It has to be available for inspection after the fact, but not at the door. (Depending on the type)
    "Just blame Sixto"

I may be getting old but I didn't here any one identify themselves as LEO until they were walking in the door. I'm afraid I would have escalated that situation real fast when I saw one hanging in an open window.

Her bad for opening the door before she knew what and who.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    To answer the question, No, they don't have to show you the warrant. It has to be available for inspection after the fact, but not at the door. (Depending on the type)
    If they have a warrant I would let them in. How can a person tell if they do indeed have a warrant if they do not have to have it with them? Being as its a legal tactic for LEO's to lie how can a person know that a warrant has been issued without seeing it?

Sixto, thanks for pointing this out as I had no idea it could be done this way.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    In most cases a bail enforcement officer or bounty hunter does not need a warrent to enter a home to make an arrest or search. They must have probable cause that a fugitive is there or that evidence leading to the capture of said fugitive is present in the dwelling or business. They need no warrent

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    They used to be pretty much unregulated until some news magazine did an expose about some BH who shot the wrong person. Then states started to step in and make regs. Their authority comes from a Fed law in 1872. BTW they are the only 'profitable' arm of law enforcement.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    If they have a warrant I would let them in. How can a person tell if they do indeed have a warrant if they do not have to have it with them? Being as its a legal tactic for LEO's to lie how can a person know that a warrant has been issued without seeing it?

Sixto, thanks for pointing this out as I had no idea it could be done this way.

Michael
    A bench warrant is issued when a subject fails to appear for court so the subject should be well aware that he has an outstanding warrant. I have locked up many people for warrants with out actually having the warrant on me.

Every person that we come into contact with while on calls or a traffic stop gets run through the computer system on a warrant check. If it comes back in the computer that he/she has an outstanding warrant from our court then the headquarters Lt. checks the warrant files to find the actual hard copy to verify it is still a valid warrant, then they come back with us and are held to see the judge.

If the computer system shows a warrant from another jurisdiction our dispatch calls the listed agency that the warrant was issued by to verify that it is a valid/current warrant and the issuing department faxes us a hard copy of the warrant. We then arrange for a patrol from the issuing department to either pick up the subject at our HQ or to meet up with our patrol to take custody of the subject.

Keep in mind that all of this is done without the actual hard copy in the officers possession. Granted that is different from actually going to someone's house for the sole purpose of finding the subject, but still the same idea that you don't necessarily need a hard copy in hand.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

It is my understanding that when a person signs for bail, he is in effect forfeiting certain rights in exchange to being let out of jail instead of waiting in jail for trial.

If the person fails to appear in court, the judge will issue a warrant for the arrest of the person and the bail bondsman will usually have a period of time to apprehend and bring the absconder before the judge before the bail bondsman loses his bond to the court.

Likewise if the person on bond fails to abide by the agreed upon terms he made with the bondsman... such as keeping appointments with him and such, then the bondsman can revoke his bond at anytime and place him back in custody. I do not believe they have to have a physical warrant signed by a judge in the case the bondsman wants to revoke bail. That's a private matter between the bail and the bondsman.

Usually the fine print in the bond written states that you agree to give the bondsman the right to enter any house or structure without a warrant to apprehend you should you fail to keep your agreement.

Therefore, most wise bounty hunters, will not physically kick in a door without a warrant unless they physically see the person enter the structure.

The reason is, is that if they kick in a door to a private residence and the person is not there, then they just became a home invader into someones home and they violated the law. If the absconder is there, they are covered by the agreement by the bail and the homeowner has a bone to pick with the absconder and not the bounty hunter or bail bondsman.

Mistakes have been made and it can quickly become a legal nightmare for all involved.

However, if they know the person they are looking for is inside, they have the legal right to enter and get them without criminal repercussions.

I'm not a bail bondsman, or a bounty hunter but I know a few bondsmen and this is how it was explained to me through idle conversations we've had in the past, so don't hold me too it. I was only casually interested when I we were discussing it to begin with.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I think the officers could have at least give her their name and badge number. the video just make them look bad... to me.....plus it seemed like she had to open her door or they were fixing to break it down.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    a bounty hunter can enter the fugitive's private property without a warrant to arrest the fugitive they are searching for. They cannot, however, enter the property of anyone other than the fugitive without a warrant or the owner's permission.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Not only does a bounty hunter not need an arrest warrant but the surety can unilaterally decide he no longer wishes to be responsible for the person bonded out, and simply take custody of him and deliver him back to the court.

The bounty hunter needs no warrant to search the residence of the person bonded out. The word residence is the operative word. There are some reasonableness constraints as to what would constitute a residence.

It is not infrequently the case that people like this lady allow somebody to be bonded out and use their address as the location they will reside, knowing full well the person will not be residing there. They bring these problems upon themselves by virtue of their duplicity, and then whine about the outcomes. I don't know that to be or not be the case here, but it is not uncommon.

I expect it works basically the same in all state where bail enforcement/bounty hunting is allowed (there are a couple where it is not). Unless said bounty hunters are acting as agents of the government (rather than in their own financial interest for ensuring bonded persons appear in court), they neither need nor could they obtain a search warrant. The 4th Amendment protects against unreasonable searches and seizures by the government, not by anyone. You can't sue Joe the Bounty Hunter for violating your 4th Amendment rights unless he is acting as the behest of the government (i.e. the local PD asks Joe to kick in the door and find Bob because they think he is in there but don't have probable cause for a warrant).

That is the same reason the crackhead who breaks into your house and steals your playstation cannot be prosecuted in federal court for violation of your civil rights. He is not an agent of the government and therefore he cannot violate your civil rights. If said crackhead finds a marijuana growing operation in your house while he is there to steal your playstation and decides to report the information to the police, the police can use that information to obtain a search warrant. Any evidence they seize based on that warrant will be admissible in court against you. They are, of course, also free to arrest the crackhead for burglary.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links