I did some interesting work today

This is a discussion on I did some interesting work today within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was told to come up with a course ( shooting) to qualify a multiple PD team that specializes in surveillance, fugitive task force and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I did some interesting work today

Administrator

I did some interesting work today

I was told to come up with a course ( shooting) to qualify a multiple PD team that specializes in surveillance, fugitive task force and immediate active shooter response. An odd combo, but hey, I just do what the man who signs my pay checks asks. So anyway, I went out to the range to actually try out what I had come up with.
    Since this will be plain clothes based police stuff, a lot of normal procedure had to be modified. Drawing from concealment, dealing with crowds or people you don't want to hit, subject control while taking and returning fire. In all, some really cool stuff.

I burnt up about 300 rounds of 45 ACP, and I stopped counting 22lr after the 5th box getting things tweeked. I finally figure it all out, get things were I think they need to be, so I call the boss man. I ask if he wants to come out, and check out my new course and see it done live. Of course, he wants to. So I run through every thing, proud of my shooting, and proud of the work I did preparing. He liked it, but says he has to sell it to the other department heads. They need to be impressed if this new idea is going to get off the ground.

So... I'm thinking that instead of shooting a B27's, I'll take all the paper down, use mannequins for the barriers and obstacles and use clay pigeons as the targets.

Some times I love my job.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Things are sure getting fancy. As a kid I remember my dad taking me out to the local dump at night in his patrol car. He would let me load his revolver while he got in his practice shooting rats he had spotlighted.

You setup sound nicer but mine had live targets lol.

Michael

Maybe add some balloons filled with red dye on the no-shoot targets for emphasis, along with the clays on the BG targets.

Do let us know what upper management decides!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member
    I think we need a video. :)

Very cool...its nice to get your juices flowing doing that kind of stuff. I helped a friends set up mulitple "custom stages" for LEO shoots in one of my former work locales. It was fun to come up with stuff to challenge the officers to the brink without making it silly or too hard.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Maybe add some balloons filled with red dye on the no-shoot targets for emphasis, along with the clays on the BG targets.

Do let us know what upper management decides!
    Liquid doesn't work well on the pistol range, but it does work OK with rifles; I buy a bottle of red chalk ( what you would buy at a hardware store for chalk lines) and that works awesome to get the right effect.

Anyway, I forgot to mention that all this is going to translate into the advanced CCW course a few regular CCW teachers and myself are going to offer this fall. It should be good times.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    I think we need a video. :)
    I second the motion.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

VIP Member
    Sounds pretty cool Sixto!

Sound pretty cool... I'll be waiting on the video as well...
    ::: NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor, Military Veteran, Public Safety Professional :::

Senior Moderator
    Much more fun than what I get to do at work
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

Anyway, I forgot to mention that all this is going to translate into the advanced CCW course a few regular CCW teachers and myself are going to offer this fall. It should be good times.
    Are you selling advance tickets?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Are you selling advance tickets?
    I'd like to do it for free. But that depends on the range situation. If I can swing the city into allowing to use the police range, I'm going to do it for free. If not, I'll have to charge to cover the overhead costs.
    There is also a local company right down the street from me who does CCW classes. They have a really nice set up, I might try to get in with them, but then it will cost money as they are a business in it for the money.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Liquid doesn't work well on the pistol range, but it does work OK with rifles; I buy a bottle of red chalk ( what you would buy at a hardware store for chalk lines) and that works awesome to get the right effect.
    I'm interested. How are you using the chalk? I like trying different effects when I am teaching kids to shoot.

Michael

You're not that far, I'll make the road trip even if you have to charge. You can at least count on a free meal from me.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I'm interested. How are you using the chalk? I like trying different effects when I am teaching kids to shoot.

Michael
    Just squeeze some chalk into the balloon; but make sure you use a compressor to blow the balloon up, you dont want to inhale a bunch of chalk powder.
    Then when the balloon gets hit, there is a cloud of chalk dust. You can use different colors for different types of hits too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links